Re: DStar Tinkering

Hi Rob,

The PiDV and ThumbDV are AMBE encoder/decoder devices and don't have anything to do with RF directly.  You can  get on the D-STAR network with them using software on your computer and connecting via the Internet.  The Wiki is a good start.  https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/ambe/wiki/AMBE-Devices

Unless you are building a dedicated AMBEserver on a Pi, the ThumbDV is more flexible since it can plug into the USB port on a variety of computers.  https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/ambe/wiki/AMBEserver-Addendum

John

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 11:09 AM, Rob Ogilvie (K8AXE) <rob@...> wrote:

Howdy!

I play around on 2m packet a fair bit and am interested in checking out what DStar has to offer.  I'm always interested in means of getting MOAR SPEED out of these rigs.

Is the PiDV plus my existing RPi2 boards a good option to dig in and start tinkering?  There are a few DStar repeaters around me.  I have two 2m/70cm FM-only radios and am not sure from the documentation how the PiDV interfaces with them or if it's a transmitter itself?

Is there a good starter document out there?

73s!

K8AXE / Rob

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223