Re: PiDV, AMBEserver and Buster

You need to take a step wise approach to debug:

1. Make sure the HAT is properly seated.

Orient it so that it is sitting on pins 1-26, here is an illustration on a 40 pin GPIO Raspberry Pi
image.png

Use a current version of Raspbian (Compass Linux is deprecated)
Build/Install ambeserver
Do Not Start amberserver until you confirm that the PiDV is communicating with the Raspberry Pi

Use the test program from
sudo python AMBEtest3.py -i /dev/ttyS0

If this fails, then you may have a hardware problem.  On success, then test in foreground (not as daemon, don't use systemctl yet)

sudo AMBEserver -i /dev/ttyS0

Watch for errors, and then open a second terminal window and use:

python ambesocktest.py

If the ambesocktest works, then you can kill the AMBEserver and restart it with systemctl.
My lab is down at the moment so I am unable to do hands on build and document.