Re: PiDV, AMBEserver and Buster

Mechanical_Mac

Thank you very much John, I really appreciate your help. No need to rush, I'm not going anywhere.

Colin
Colin G. MacArthur B.A., LL.B.

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 4:50 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
Those are very good results.  It looks like a permission problem, as I stated in another thread.

As I stated, I don't have access to a PiDV™ at the moment (packed away during an extended house move), but I will try on a ThumbDV™ when I get a minute.  It may be something faulty in the service file.

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 1:16 PM Mechanical_Mac <c.g.macarthur@...> wrote:
Hi John,

I followed your instructions word for word. Results below.

sudo python AMBEtest3.py -i /dev/ttyS0
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo python AMBEtest3.py -i /dev/ttyS0
AMBEtest3.py -s <serial port>
AMBEtest3.py -n -s <serial port> (for ThumbDV Model A
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ python ambesocktest.py
^CTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "ambesocktest.py", line 23, in <module>
    d = s.recvfrom(1024)
KeyboardInterrupt

Same command but substituted -s flag and promising results.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo python AMBEtest3.py -s /dev/ttyS0
Setting ...
/dev/ttyS0
8
1
False
False
False

Reset
6100010033
Wrote: 5 bytes
a9
Product ID
6100010030
Wrote: 5 bytes
 0AMBE3000R
Version
6100010031
Wrote: 5 bytes
a11V120.E100.XXXX.C106.G514.R009.B0010411.C0020208
Set DSTAR Mode
61000c000a013007634000000000000048
Wrote: 17 bytes

Then ran this command, things look like they're working as expected.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo AMBEserver -i /dev/ttyS0
AMBEserver: Starting...
AMBEserver: Opened serial port /dev/ttyS0 at 230400 bps.
AMBEserver: Initialized AMBE3000R version V120.E100.XXXX.C106.G514.R009.B0010411.C0020208.
AMBEserver: Listening for connections on UDP port 2460.
Finally I tried the socket tests
python ambesocketest.py
                0AMBE3000R
Server reply : a
                0AMBE3000R
Server reply : a
                0AMBE3000R
^CTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "ambesocketest.py", line 23, in <module>
    d = s.recvfrom(1024)
KeyboardInterrupt

Hallelujah! The first positive news of the quarantine.

So then I tried:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo systemctl enable ambeserver@...
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/ambeserver@... → /lib/systemd/system/ambeserver@.service.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

No visible errors so I assumed it was enabled. I rebooted and tried:
sudo systemctl status ambeserver@...

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo systemctl status ambeserver@...
● ambeserver@... - DV3000 Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ambeserver@.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2020-04-24 15:05:48 EDT; 8min ago
  Process: 403 ExecStartPre=/bin/chgrp dialout /dev/ttyS0 (code=exited, status=217/USER)

Apr 24 15:05:48 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Starting DV3000 Daemon...
Apr 24 15:05:48 raspberrypi systemd[403]: ambeserver@...: Failed to determine user credentials: No such process
Apr 24 15:05:48 raspberrypi systemd[403]: ambeserver@...: Failed at step USER spawning /bin/chgrp: No such process
Apr 24 15:05:48 raspberrypi systemd[1]: ambeserver@...: Control process exited, code=exited, status=217/USER
Apr 24 15:05:48 raspberrypi systemd[1]: ambeserver@...: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Apr 24 15:05:48 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start DV3000 Daemon.
Apr 24 15:05:48 raspberrypi systemd[1]: ambeserver@...: Triggering OnFailure= dependencies.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

Damn! So close. So I don't know what to make of that.

Colin
Colin G. MacArthur B.A., LL.B.

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 1:19 AM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
Here are short instructions.
From  https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/ambe/wiki/AMBEserver-Addendum#Quick-Build-on-Linux

Quick Build on Linux

If you cannot find an AMBEserver package for your architecture and distribution. Try this:

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dl5di/OpenDV/master/DummyRepeater/DV3000/AMBEserver.c
Open https://github.com/dl5di/OpenDV/blob/master/DummyRepeater/DV3000/AMBEserver.c
select "RAW"
Copy and past the source code into AMBEserver.  Or just use the attached copy.

gcc -o AMBEserver AMBEserver.c
Place the executable in an appropriate place, and create configuration and autostart files.  On Raspbian/Debian this would be
sudo cp AMBEserver /usr/sbin
sudo chmod +x /usr/sbin/AMBEserver

A set of files for systemd management are located in the files section: ambesupport.tgz (https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/ambe/files)

Download this file to the target computer's filesystem and run
mv ambesupport.tgz /tmp &&  cd / && sudo tar -xzvf /tmp/ambesupport.tgz

Use the above instructions to manage the server.  (From the WIKI article)

The test programs (python) can be obtained here  https://github.com/dl5di/OpenDV/tree/master/DummyRepeater/DV3000
Open AMBEtest3.py go to raw and copy and paste to similarly named file (Attached)
  Open ambesocktest.py go to raw and copy and paste to similarly named file  or download this one from  https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/ambe/files

Run the tests I mentioned earlier

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 7:57 PM John D Hays - K7VE via groups.io <john=hays.org@groups.io> wrote:
You probably need to build AMBEserver it is not on the standard repositories.

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020, 19:25 Mechanical_Mac <c.g.macarthur@...> wrote:
Thanks John, I really appreciate your assistance.

The PIDV is definitely installed correctly on the Raspberry Pi, starting at PIN 1.
I always start with a fresh install of the latest version of Raspbian, now Buster.
I didn't get very far. The following steps were done sequentially.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install ambeserver
e:  unable to locate package ambeserver

I searched the raspbian package list for ambeserver without success.

Any suggestions?

Colin
Colin G. MacArthur B.A., LL.B.

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 1:01 AM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
You need to take a step wise approach to debug:

1. Make sure the HAT is properly seated.

Orient it so that it is sitting on pins 1-26, here is an illustration on a 40 pin GPIO Raspberry Pi
image.png

Use a current version of Raspbian (Compass Linux is deprecated)
Build/Install ambeserver
Do Not Start amberserver until you confirm that the PiDV is communicating with the Raspberry Pi

Use the test program from
sudo python AMBEtest3.py -i /dev/ttyS0

If this fails, then you may have a hardware problem.  On success, then test in foreground (not as daemon, don't use systemctl yet)

sudo AMBEserver -i /dev/ttyS0

Watch for errors, and then open a second terminal window and use:

python ambesocktest.py

If the ambesocktest works, then you can kill the AMBEserver and restart it with systemctl.
My lab is down at the moment so I am unable to do hands on build and document.