Re: PiDV, AMBEserver and Buster

I don't recommend running daemons as root, but you could edit
/etc/systemd/system/ambeserver@.service

[Unit]
Description=AMBEserver Daemon
After=network.target serial-getty@%i.service dev-%i.device
Conflicts=serial-getty@%i.service
OnFailure=serial-getty@%i.service

[Service]
User=opendv
EnvironmentFile=/etc/opendv/%p-%i.conf
PermissionsStartOnly=true
ExecStartPre=/bin/chgrp dialout /dev/%i
ExecStartPre=/bin/chmod 0660 /dev/%i
ExecStart=/usr/local/sbin/AMBEserver -p ${UDP_PORT} -i /dev/%i $AMBESERVER_FLAGS
Restart=on-abort

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

And change User to root.   As you can see this script supposedly changes group permissions to dialout and read/write for the device.  So it should work.

Verify that user opendv is a member of the dialout group

grep dialout /etc/group

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 9:05 AM KB5ZUR <kb5zur@...> wrote:
I tried this the other night and again just now.

I copied my ambeserver-ttyS0.conf to ambeserver-serial0.conf and to serial 1.conf.

I tried enabling and running both and got the error  "ambeserver@... failed no such file or or directory. same for serial1

however I do see this in /dev
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           5 Oct  1 17:48 serial0 -> ttyS0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           7 Oct  1 17:48 serial1 -> ttyAMA0

-DS

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 10:19 AM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
There are some automatic aliases.

Try serial0 and serial1 and see if that helps.