Re: ThumbDV and HP Laptop - 17-by3053cl

Make sure the FTDI driver is on the HP laptop.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 10:06 AM Clay Welsh <cjwelsh@...> wrote:
No I didn't use the tool because I'd been using this thumb TV for at least 3 years on my Acer laptop and nothing had changed when I plugged it into the new laptop. The factory remains there are no com ports and the thumb DV does require com ports.

--
Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
On 2/4/21, 12:35 PM Art Olson <olson339@...> wrote:
Clay

Assume you used the test tool for the thumb dv

Art
N2AJO

On Feb 4, 2021, at 12:28 PM, Clay Welsh <cjwelsh@...> wrote:

This is a recent review I did on Amazon: "I have had an Acer laptop that was getting old and I needed a replacement. I ordered a "Renewed" HP 17" Laptop to replace it. The laptop is beautiful and is so easy to type on. Even the keyboard lights up while you are typing. Using the "Plugable USB 2.0 cable, I was able to transfer 60GB of files from the old computer to the new one. This is a terrific product and I am very happy with its purchase.
I am editing this review today, 2/4/2021, because I have run into a problem that was unexpected. I am an Amateur Radio Operator and I use a device called a ThumbDV by Northwest Digital Radio. This looks like any thumb drive with the only exception being that it is transparent. This device requires Serial Ports (1-4). Believe it or not, this computer does not have any Serial Ports. When I checked the Device Manager, there was no indication of any com ports. I spent hours on the phone with HP and went through 3 levels of Tech Support and they couldn't help me either. So in retrospect I say this: "All things being equal, this is a great computer, but if you are a Ham Radio Operator and want to use the ThumbDV, avoid purchasing this model HP Laptop - 17-by3053cl."