Re: ThumbDV and HP Laptop - 17-by3053cl

mfle2001

That would be a major drawback, but I think its more likely he can't locate the COM port the thumbDV creates. Suggest try this:
  1. Open Device Manager
  2. Click on Action
  3. Select Add legacy hardware
  4. Click Next
  5. Select Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced) and click Next
  6. Scroll down and then select Ports (COM & LPT), and click Next.
  7. Select Manufacturer as per your need (the standard one or default option should work), and then click Next
  8. Click Finish
  9. Reboot
Mike.
VK2AMF.

At 04:09 PM 5/02/2021, you wrote:
I think what Clay is trying to say is there are no USB Ports on this model HP computer. Sounds like one of those Chrome Machines.
Jack L. Blake

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 7:28 PM Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:
It's worse than that.

Did you check device manager before or after you plugged in the ThumbDV? I'll bet the answer is "before".

Plug it in, THEN check device manager. It doesn't activate a com port until you plug a device into a USB port.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021, 6:07 PM Lee <lee@...> wrote:

The drivers should be installed before you insert the thumbDV. After installing drivers, reboot computer and insert thumbDV. It should work fine.
On 2/4/2021 06:00 PM, Clay Welsh wrote:

Not if there aren't any available in the setup of the thumb TV. If you think they are you don't understand the problem.
--
Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
On 2/4/21, 5:58 PM Lee <lee@...> wrote:

serial ports are assigned by the user, not the manufacturer. 😮

On 2/4/2021 11:43 AM, Clay Welsh wrote:
This is a recent review I did on Amazon: "I have had an Acer laptop that was getting old and I needed a replacement. I ordered a "Renewed" HP 17" Laptop to replace it. The laptop is beautiful and is so easy to type on. Even the keyboard lights up while you are typing. Using the "Plugable USB 2.0 cable, I was able to transfer 60GB of files from the old computer to the new one. This is a terrific product and I am very happy with its purchase.
I am editing this review today, 2/4/2021, because I have run into a problem that was unexpected. I am an Amateur Radio Operator and I use a device called a ThumbDV by Northwest Digital Radio. This looks like any thumb drive with the only exception being that it is transparent. This device requires Serial Ports (1-4). Believe it or not, this computer does not have any Serial Ports. When I checked the Device Manager, there was no indication of any com ports. I spent hours on the phone with HP and went through 3 levels of Tech Support and they couldn't help me either. So in retrospect I say this: "All things being equal, this is a great computer, but if you are a Ham Radio Operator and want to use the ThumbDV, avoid purchasing this model HP Laptop - 17-by3053cl."

Mike Fleetwood
Canberra Australia and Sidcup UK.

Worldwide email address is:      mfleetwood@...