Re: ThumbDV on rPi 4

Lee

The software has to be written for the Pi4. If you do any reading on it, this was explained when it was first released.

On 12/16/2021 11:17 AM, Patrick Perdue wrote:
I have definitely not found this to be the case. A couple of things were pretty rough at first, but, I side from this AMBE thing, I haven’t had any real issues to speak of.

Sent from my zippo

On Dec 16, 2021, at 11:10, Lee <lee@...> wrote:

I have found that almost everything that runs on a 3 will not run on a 4

On 12/16/2021 10:34 AM, Patrick Perdue wrote:

The power supply I'm using is 3.5 amps at 5.2 volts, so I don't know what's going on. I switched to a software vocoder for D-STAR, which sounds absolutely terrible, but it does confirm that something is happening with the AMBE hardware that makes everything fall over after a few seconds of transmission.

I tried another, slightly different power supply with the same specs, also with the same result.

I then tried the same dongle on a Pi 3B Plus, and it works fine there, but not on my 4.

On 12/16/2021 8:34 AM, Brad N8PC wrote:
really?  I have a thumbdv on a pi3b+ running DVSwitch server with no problems. make sure your supplying enough Current to the pi 3b+. I suggest 2 to 3 amps at 5 volts

I run a raspberry Pi 4 running Hamvoip with echolink and DMR Bridge and Hamshack hotline on my repeater. works just fine

On 12/16/2021 12:53 AM, Gwen Patton wrote:
I freely admit that I've only tried my ThumbDV with my pi 3b+, but I always use a powered hub. The pi USB ports don't have enough juice.

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021, 10:56 PM Patrick Perdue <borrisinabox@...> wrote:
Hi:

I've had several ThumbDV's for a while, but I have not, until now, had
occasion to try using one with a Raspberry Pi 4.

Though it seems to work fine with a Pi 2, I'm having issues with a known
good dongle on a revision 1.2 rPi4 1GB board, and the official Raspberry
Pi Foundation USB C power supply.

I have installed AMBEserver, which usually, but doesn't always
initialize the vocoder. Sometimes, it hangs at opening serial port, then
the next service restart works fine.

When it is initialized, I get about 5 seconds of solid transcoding from
it, then audio gets choppy, and errors start flying from applications
using it. So far, I have tried using BlueDV with AMBEserver, and
Analog_Bridge from DVSwitch, both with AMBEserver and by direct use of
/dev/ttyUSB0, all with the same results.

I have changed the port latency from 16 to 1, as recommended by
DVSwitch. This seemed to help with my old Pi2 setup, but made no real
difference here.

I've tried on all USB ports.

Has anyone else seen this with rPi4's in particular? Would a powered USB
hub help?

73

N2DYI