Re: ThumbDV on rPi 4

Lee

Some of the power supplies just don't cut it. One that will supply in excess of 3.5 amps seems to work fine.

On 12/16/2021 10:21 AM, Patrick Perdue wrote:

Well, that's the interesting thing. I'm running it completely from the bus on my rPi2, no powered hub, and it's been running great for two years like that.

On 12/16/2021 12:53 AM, Gwen Patton wrote:
I freely admit that I've only tried my ThumbDV with my pi 3b+, but I always use a powered hub. The pi USB ports don't have enough juice.

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021, 10:56 PM Patrick Perdue <borrisinabox@...> wrote:
Hi:

I've had several ThumbDV's for a while, but I have not, until now, had
occasion to try using one with a Raspberry Pi 4.

Though it seems to work fine with a Pi 2, I'm having issues with a known
good dongle on a revision 1.2 rPi4 1GB board, and the official Raspberry
Pi Foundation USB C power supply.

I have installed AMBEserver, which usually, but doesn't always
initialize the vocoder. Sometimes, it hangs at opening serial port, then
the next service restart works fine.

When it is initialized, I get about 5 seconds of solid transcoding from
it, then audio gets choppy, and errors start flying from applications
using it. So far, I have tried using BlueDV with AMBEserver, and
Analog_Bridge from DVSwitch, both with AMBEserver and by direct use of
/dev/ttyUSB0, all with the same results.

I have changed the port latency from 16 to 1, as recommended by
DVSwitch. This seemed to help with my old Pi2 setup, but made no real
difference here.

I've tried on all USB ports.

Has anyone else seen this with rPi4's in particular? Would a powered USB
hub help?

73

N2DYI