Re: Pi3;ThumbDV and Baofeng..

John,

There should be a site or two online that has this information, as I'm aware of a few people that use the BF-888 UHF radio for AllStar Link node radios. I can look for them.and post the links when I find them.

Matthew Pitts
N8OHU

On October 14, 2016 6:38:28 PM EDT, John Hays <john@hays.org> wrote:
Hi Ian,

Cool experiment. DummyRepeater should be able to be keyed using a GPIO
line (I would have to dig through the code to see which one), in which
case
if you can detect squelch in the Baofeng and use it to key the GPIO
line,
you would have a basic COR operated system (better yet, if you could
find a
PL detect, use PL to key the PTT).

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 3:22 PM, Ian <gm4upx@gb7jd.co.uk> wrote:

Thought I'd share this;

Now that my ThumbDV is up and running and I'm getting good audio
reports I
thought I would " experiment " with some Baofeng radios. ( I like
them
because you can tear them to bits and if they don't work afterwards,
it's
no big deal. ).

OK, I have had two QSO's using the Baofeng radios and it's a
testament of
the ThumbDV that the audio reports are good.

I'm running CompassLinux with ircDDBGateway and DummyRepeater via Pi3
and
my ThumbDV linked ( ethernet ) to a 4G router and one Baofeng linked
to a
PI3 USB port; the other is used for tx/rx, a basic analogue bridge
really.

So far I haven't figured out how to get the over air PTT to work; I
am
presently clicking on the transmit button in DummyRepeater; rx from
the
Internet works OK. I suppose that's not a bad thing at the moment as
anyone transmitting on " my " frequency could appear on a connected
reflector under my callsign.

This " receive only " setup could be used to give others with
analogue
radios an opportunity to experience D-Star before taking the plunge,
or you
could set up your own Hotspot with a ThumbDV and two cheap radios.

Regards,

Ian..