Date   

PiDV Connection to a FM Radio

Dave N2OA
 

I'm interested in a PiDV but want to know if it's capable of modulating and demodulating the signals off of the packet port on a FM rig? I can't seem to find any documention on the device to answer the question.

Thank you,

Dave

KA2OQZ


Re: PiDV Connection to a FM Radio

 

The PiDV and ThumbDV are serial devices for encoding and decoding audio to and from AMBE.  They do not connect to a radio or provide modulation or demodulation.

The UDRC can provide the modem to talk to a radio.  However, for a complete solution you would need both and software to handle the protocol, radio, and audio.

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Dave KA2OQZ <kdcarlso@...> wrote:

I'm interested in a PiDV but want to know if it's capable of modulating and demodulating the signals off of the packet port on a FM rig? I can't seem to find any documention on the device to answer the question.

Thank you,

Dave

KA2OQZ




--


John D. Hays
K7VE

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
   


Re: PiDV Connection to a FM Radio

Dave N2OA
 

Is that software available has to be the next question. 😄

Dave


On Dec 12, 2016, at 5:08 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

The PiDV and ThumbDV are serial devices for encoding and decoding audio to and from AMBE.  They do not connect to a radio or provide modulation or demodulation.

The UDRC can provide the modem to talk to a radio.  However, for a complete solution you would need both and software to handle the protocol, radio, and audio.

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Dave KA2OQZ <kdcarlso@...> wrote:

I'm interested in a PiDV but want to know if it's capable of modulating and demodulating the signals off of the packet port on a FM rig? I can't seem to find any documention on the device to answer the question.

Thank you,

Dave

KA2OQZ




--


John D. Hays
K7VE

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
   


Re: PiDV Connection to a FM Radio

 

You can get there, but it is kind of ugly at this point  UDRC <--> dstarrepeater <--> ircddbgateway <--> DummyRepeater <--> AMBEserver (with PiDV or ThumbDV) 

Audio goes in and out of DummyRepeater.

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 2:12 PM, Dave KA2OQZ <kdcarlso@...> wrote:
Is that software available has to be the next question. 😄

Dave


On Dec 12, 2016, at 5:08 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

The PiDV and ThumbDV are serial devices for encoding and decoding audio to and from AMBE.  They do not connect to a radio or provide modulation or demodulation.

The UDRC can provide the modem to talk to a radio.  However, for a complete solution you would need both and software to handle the protocol, radio, and audio.

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Dave KA2OQZ <kdcarlso@...> wrote:

I'm interested in a PiDV but want to know if it's capable of modulating and demodulating the signals off of the packet port on a FM rig? I can't seem to find any documention on the device to answer the question.

Thank you,

Dave

KA2OQZ




--


John D. Hays
K7VE

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
   




--


John D. Hays
K7VE

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
   


Re: PiDV Connection to a FM Radio

Dave N2OA
 

Thank you.. Yeah that’s not pretty but it might be worth playing with.. It’s times like this that make me wish I had gotten into software J It would be a great product if someone could simplify the software and package all the pieces into one nice little box with a display to give any rig digital capability..

 

 

From: ambe@nw-digital-radio.groups.io [mailto:ambe@nw-digital-radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of John D Hays - K7VE
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2016 5:27 PM
To: ambe@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ambe] PiDV Connection to a FM Radio

 

You can get there, but it is kind of ugly at this point  UDRC <--> dstarrepeater <--> ircddbgateway <--> DummyRepeater <--> AMBEserver (with PiDV or ThumbDV) 

 

Audio goes in and out of DummyRepeater.

 

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 2:12 PM, Dave KA2OQZ <kdcarlso@...> wrote:

Is that software available has to be the next question. 😄

Dave

 


On Dec 12, 2016, at 5:08 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

The PiDV and ThumbDV are serial devices for encoding and decoding audio to and from AMBE.  They do not connect to a radio or provide modulation or demodulation.

 

The UDRC can provide the modem to talk to a radio.  However, for a complete solution you would need both and software to handle the protocol, radio, and audio.

 

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Dave KA2OQZ <kdcarlso@...> wrote:

I'm interested in a PiDV but want to know if it's capable of modulating and demodulating the signals off of the packet port on a FM rig? I can't seem to find any documention on the device to answer the question.

Thank you,

Dave

KA2OQZ



 

--

 


John D. Hays

K7VE

 

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

   

 



 

--

 


John D. Hays

K7VE

 

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

   

 


Re: PiDV Connection to a FM Radio

Ian
 

FYI,

I currently use my ThumbDV and two Baofeng 888's on D_Star, audio reports are good and my pal who lives in the next street has used his IC706 for D_Star via my 888 while I am in control of my station.

It's a useful learning project

Regards,
Ian..

On 12-12-2016 22:38, Dave KA2OQZ wrote:
*
*
Thank you.. Yeah that’s not pretty but it might be worth playing
with.. It’s times like this that make me wish I had gotten into
software J It would be a great product if someone could simplify the
software and package all the pieces into one nice little box with a
display to give any rig digital capability..
FROM: ambe@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
[mailto:ambe@nw-digital-radio.groups.io] ON BEHALF OF John D Hays -
K7VE
SENT: Monday, December 12, 2016 5:27 PM
TO: ambe@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
SUBJECT: Re: [ambe] PiDV Connection to a FM Radio
You can get there, but it is kind of ugly at this point UDRC <-->
dstarrepeater <--> ircddbgateway <--> DummyRepeater <--> AMBEserver
(with PiDV or ThumbDV)
Audio goes in and out of DummyRepeater.
On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 2:12 PM, Dave KA2OQZ <kdcarlso@...>
wrote:
Is that software available has to be the next question. 😄
Dave
On Dec 12, 2016, at 5:08 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <@john_hays> wrote:

The PiDV and ThumbDV are serial devices for encoding and decoding
audio to and from AMBE. They do not connect to a radio or provide
modulation or demodulation.
The UDRC can provide the modem to talk to a radio. However, for a
complete solution you would need both and software to handle the
protocol, radio, and audio.
On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Dave KA2OQZ <kdcarlso@...>
wrote:
I'm interested in a PiDV but want to know if it's capable of
modulating and demodulating the signals off of the packet port on a
FM rig? I can't seem to find any documention on the device to answer
the question.
Thank you,
Dave
KA2OQZ
--
-------------------------
John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
[1] [2]
--
-------------------------
John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
[1] [2]
Links:
------
[1] http://k7ve.org/blog
[2] http://twitter.com/#!/john_hays
[3] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/ambe/message/85
[4] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/ambe/topic/3800276
[5] https://groups.io/mt/3800276?uid=162806
[6] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/ambe/post
[7] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/ambe/editsub?uid=162806
[8] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/ambe
[9] https://groups.io/static/tos
[10] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/ambe/leave/defanged


Re: ThumbDV with GnuRadio

Konrad Roeder -- WA4OSH
 

Does the GnuRadio block work with a PiDV hat as well?


Re: ThumbDV with GnuRadio

 

Short answer: I have no idea. I don't have a PiDV. If it's on a serial port and can do 230400 or 460800 baud, then maybe.

Are you trying to run gnuradio on a Pi? I'm not sure that's going to work very well, especially if you want any kind of reasonable bandwidth to/from you rf sink or source.


Re: ThumbDV with GnuRadio

 

Yes the PiDV is a serial device at 230400 -- though with the ThumbDV sale right now, it might be the better buy?

I'll leave to others, their experience with GNUradio on Pi 3, but I believe that it works.

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 4:01 PM, Tom Early <ac2ie@...> wrote:

Short answer: I have no idea. I don't have a PiDV. If it's on a serial port and can do 230400 or 460800 baud, then maybe.

Are you trying to run gnuradio on a Pi? I'm not sure that's going to work very well, especially if you want any kind of reasonable bandwidth to/from you rf sink or source.




--


John D. Hays
K7VE

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
   


New gnuradio repository for the AMBE3000 devices

 

I have a new gnuradio OOT (out-of-tree) repository, gr-ThumbDV, at http://github.com/ac2ie.

This repository will build two blocks for encoding and decoding audio data. It can use either the AMBE-3000 DStar vocoder or the DMR vocoder. Additional AMBE-3000 vocoder methods can be easily added. The AMBE-3000 has dozens of available methods.

These are very basic blocks. No additional info is encoded or decoded. The encoded data will be about 35 times smaller than the original audio data. Each 160 16-bit audio samples is converted to 9 bytes, and vis-versa.

By themselves, these blocks are not suitable for building a DMR or DStar transmitter or receiver. My intention is to build additional blocks in this repository that will, when combined with these blocks, allow you to construct a DMR or DStar receiver or transmitter. While my other repository, gr-ambe3000, is more monolithic and for DStar only, this new repository will be more modular and flexible.


Re: New gnuradio repository for the AMBE3000 devices

 

Okay, it really wasn't that difficult to design a "bare-bones" DStar transmitter with the addition of a few standard gnuradio blocks. By "bare-bones", I mean no DStar header, slow-data or termination flag. A commercial receiver might complain a bit, but it will receive and decode the audio just fine. A flow-graph for this simple transmitter is now included.


PiDV or ThumbDV - for D-Star repeater?

Konrad Roeder -- WA4OSH
 

I want to use UDRC-II to control a D-Star Repeater.  Should I be using a PiDV hat, or a ThumbDV?  What are the hardware and software implications?

--Konrad, WA4OSH


Re: PiDV or ThumbDV - for D-Star repeater?

 

A D-STAR repeater keeps everything in the digital realm. Audio is neither encoded or decoded in the repeater. 

No AMBE device is needed the UDRC provides the modem and control via the dstarrepeater program. 

Otherwise the PiDV and ThumbDV are functionally the same. They just have different serial connection types. 


On Dec 18, 2016 09:03, "Konrad Roeder -- WA4OSH" <konrad.roeder@...> wrote:

I want to use UDRC-II to control a D-Star Repeater.  Should I be using a PiDV hat, or a ThumbDV?  What are the hardware and software implications?

--Konrad, WA4OSH



ThumbDV vs DVDongle

Konrad Roeder -- WA4OSH
 

How does ThumbDV compare to a DV Dongle? 

ThumbDV
FTDI FT230XS serial to USB converter
No CPU needed
DVSI AMBE3000 vocoder
Software: Dummy Repeater

http://www.dvsinc.com/products/a3000.htm

DVDongle
FTDI FT232RL serial to USB converter
Atmel AT91SAM7S256 ARM7 based CPU
DVSI AMBE2000 vocoder
S
oftware: DVTool

http://www.dvdongle.com/DV_Dongle/Home.html


Re: ThumbDV vs DVDongle

 

Check out his blog post about the original dongle:


There is a newer dongle, DV3K, which is essentially the same as the ThumbDV. FTDI + DV3000

It’s normally $150 on sale for $145

The ThumbDV is $120 on sale for $100

Bryan K7UDR

On Dec 18, 2016, at 10:36 AM, Konrad Roeder -- WA4OSH <konrad.roeder@...> wrote:

How does ThumbDV compare to a DV Dongle? 

ThumbDV
FTDI FT230XS serial to USB converter
No CPU needed
DVSI AMBE3000 vocoder
Software: Dummy Repeater

http://www.dvsinc.com/products/a3000.htm

DVDongle
FTDI FT232RL serial to USB converter
Atmel AT91SAM7S256 ARM7 based CPU
DVSI AMBE2000 vocoder
S
oftware: DVTool

http://www.dvdongle.com/DV_Dongle/Home.html



Re: ThumbDV vs DVDongle

Konrad Roeder -- WA4OSH
 

Thanks for the video.

It looks like it's supported on a PC with DVNode...
http://www.dutch-star.eu/products/windv/

--Konrad  WA4OSH


Re: ThumbDV vs DVDongle

Craig McVeay <cmcveay@...>
 

The TbumbDV is also supported on the Mac OS by an application called Buster.

Craig McVeay
N0CSM

On Dec 18, 2016 10:36, "Konrad Roeder -- WA4OSH" <konrad.roeder@...> wrote:

How does ThumbDV compare to a DV Dongle? 

ThumbDV
FTDI FT230XS serial to USB converter
No CPU needed
DVSI AMBE3000 vocoder
Software: Dummy Repeater

http://www.dvsinc.com/products/a3000.htm

DVDongle
FTDI FT232RL serial to USB converter
Atmel AT91SAM7S256 ARM7 based CPU
DVSI AMBE2000 vocoder
S
oftware: DVTool

http://www.dvdongle.com/DV_Dongle/Home.html


Re: ThumbDV vs DVDongle

carty.ellis@...
 

I use a DV3K dongle in a mac and both Buster and DVTools work with it. 

Carty. KA2Y

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 18, 2016, at 6:33 PM, Craig McVeay <cmcveay@...> wrote:

The TbumbDV is also supported on the Mac OS by an application called Buster.

Craig McVeay
N0CSM

On Dec 18, 2016 10:36, "Konrad Roeder -- WA4OSH" <konrad.roeder@...> wrote:

How does ThumbDV compare to a DV Dongle? 

ThumbDV
FTDI FT230XS serial to USB converter
No CPU needed
DVSI AMBE3000 vocoder
Software: Dummy Repeater

http://www.dvsinc.com/products/a3000.htm

DVDongle
FTDI FT232RL serial to USB converter
Atmel AT91SAM7S256 ARM7 based CPU
DVSI AMBE2000 vocoder
S
oftware: DVTool

http://www.dvdongle.com/DV_Dongle/Home.html


Re: New gnuradio repository for the AMBE3000 devices

 

I have added a couple of new blocks to the gr-ThumbDV OOT so that a more-or-less complete DStar receiver can be built. See the included image. I'm now thinking about what I need for DMR rf flow-graphs...

I guess these blocks should work with the PiDV as well. Somebody will have to let me know...


thumb dv set up

Jp Colville <colville500@...>
 

I need help setting up my thumb dv. can get it to connect but I don't hear anyone I'm not sure what to do. do I need to register with someone to start? what are the gateway settings to use. pretty new to this so if someone can start from the beginning that would be great