Date   

Re: AMBEServer : Invalid start byte 0x05 (seems to expect 0x61)

 

AMBEserver is using the newer AMBE3000 chip from DVSI.  When Scott wrote his code the predominant AMBE solutions used older chips (usually USB attached) with a different setup and byte flow to process the AMBE stream.  Those programs by Scott would need to be updated to talk to the newer chips using the packet protocol to exchange AMBE and PCM data.


If you look at the source AMBEserver you will see that the UDP stream simply encapsulates the packets defined to go into and out of the AMBE3000 chip, the client is responsible for sending valid and properly formatted packets.



On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 4:52 AM, Santu OTTAVI <t.ottavi@...> wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to set up a D-Star to Asterisk. I've got a DV3000U/ThumbDV connected on a Raspberry Pi, with the AMBEServer listening. I'm trying to connect to it from another Linux or Windows machine, using "dplus_cli" or "dextra_cli" command line tools from Scott, KI4LKF.

With both software (dplus_cli under Linux, and dextra_cli under Windows), I see incoming UDP packets to AMBEServer, but it does not answer.

Having a look at AMBEServer source code, I noticed that :
- AMBEServer generates an error because it receives an invalid start byte when reading from the socket : 0x05
- AMBEServer seems to wait for DV3K_START_BYTE   = 0x61

Any idea about why (old) KI4LKF client software are sending 0x05 as a start byte, while AMBEServer seems to expect 0x61 ?

Thank you in advance. Kind regards.

73 de TK1BI




--


John D. Hays
K7VE

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
   


Re: AMBEServer : Invalid start byte 0x05 (seems to expect 0x61)

Santu OTTAVI (TK1BI)
 

Hi,

Le 10/03/2017 à 18:17, John D Hays - K7VE a écrit :
AMBEserver is using the newer AMBE3000 chip from DVSI. When Scott wrote his code the predominant AMBE solutions used older chips (usually USB attached) with a different setup and byte flow to process the AMBE stream. Those programs by Scott would need to be updated to talk to the newer chips using the packet protocol to exchange AMBE and PCM data.
Thank you for your answer. That's what I was fearing...

Changing the source may be quite difficult, because source code of some components is not available.

I understood that AMBE3000 chip was retro-compatible with AMBE2000. Apparently, it isn't ?

Moreover, I'm still looking for a (working) solution to build a gatewat between a D-Star reflector and an Asterisk analog system, with modern hardware and software. I've been trying a lot of things, with no results. Any suggestions are welcome.

73 de TK1BI


Re: AMBEServer : Invalid start byte 0x05 (seems to expect 0x61)

 

The AMBE 3000 chip will process D-STAR AMBE just fine, the protocol for talking to the chip is different. 

On Mar 13, 2017 07:26, "Santu OTTAVI" <t.ottavi@...> wrote:
Hi,

Le 10/03/2017 à 18:17, John D Hays - K7VE a écrit :
AMBEserver is using the newer AMBE3000 chip from DVSI.  When Scott wrote his code the predominant AMBE solutions used older chips (usually USB attached) with a different setup and byte flow to process the AMBE stream.  Those programs by Scott would need to be updated to talk to the newer chips using the packet protocol to exchange AMBE and PCM data.

Thank you for your answer. That's what I was fearing...

Changing the source may be quite difficult, because source code of some components is not available.

I understood that AMBE3000 chip was retro-compatible with AMBE2000. Apparently, it isn't ?

Moreover, I'm still looking for a (working) solution to build a gatewat between a D-Star reflector and an Asterisk analog system, with modern hardware and software. I've been trying a lot of things, with no results. Any suggestions are welcome.

73 de TK1BI




Re: AMBEServer : Invalid start byte 0x05 (seems to expect 0x61)

Santu OTTAVI (TK1BI)
 

Le 13/03/2017 à 15:29, John D Hays - K7VE a écrit :
The AMBE 3000 chip will process D-STAR AMBE just fine, the protocol for talking to the chip is different.
Thank you, that's clear now. It seems I'll have to code ;-)


PIDV as an USB dongle

Jean-Marc F1SCA
 

Hi,

I have a PIDV that I try to connect as an USB dongle. Did anyone be successfull making it work ?

Which pins of the PIDV must I use ? I have some converters which I can probably use, FTDI UART/USB

or a Buspirate.

Best regards

Jean-Marc


Re: PIDV as an USB dongle

 

Jean Marc -- why not just create an ambeserver and access it over the UDP/IP network?


The required pins are in the area 1D-1E of the schematic if you want to attempt building connections.  It defaults to 230Kbps on the interface.

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 3:09 AM, Jean-Marc Magnier <magnier.jeanmarc@numericable.fr> wrote:

Hi,

I have a PIDV that I try to connect as an USB dongle. Did anyone be successfull making it work ?

Which pins of the PIDV must I use ? I have some converters which I can probably use, FTDI UART/USB

or a Buspirate.

Best regards

Jean-Marc


_._,_._,_




--


John D. Hays
K7VE

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
   


Re: PIDV as an USB dongle

Jean-Marc F1SCA
 

Hi John,

thanks. I aleady did it and that works very well. But I need to convert it to a "USB dongle" in order to connect it to a CBRIDGE, which accept

only dongles.

The converted PIDV (either with an FTDI  or BusPirate) is reconized at the beginning but when the CBRIDGE want to change the parity bit, the PIDV

do not answer. So the CB condisers it's not a AMBE3000 and disables it.

This is the report :


Interrogate the device /dev/ttyUSB0 for status as a serial device


Test:: Is /dev/ttyUSB0 an AMBE vocoder or LTR?


Is AMBE or LTR


Success. Open the device /dev/ttyUSB0 on baud of 460.8 Kbaud, 8n1. 


Connect at AMBE speed


Turn on Parity bytes....


/dev/ttyUSB0 refused to answer comamnd to set parity. Waited 1460 ms.


Fail set parity command, so mark as NON AMBE vocoder


Failed to turn on parity for this device


We can suspect the CB, as CB works very well with UBS dongles.

73 QRO

Jean-Marc - F1SCA


Re: AMBEServer : Invalid start byte 0x05 (seems to expect 0x61)

Jean-Marc F1SCA
 

Hi Santu,

do you know this ?

https://github.com/N4IRS/DMRGateway/blob/master/DMRGatewayDiagram.pdf

73 de Jean-Marc - F1SCA


Re: PiDV - Pinout / jumpers for UART

Jean-Marc F1SCA
 

Hi Tom,

Did you succed in connecting the PIDV as an USB dongle ? I tried myself but it doesn't work. I made several

tries with a cheap UART/USB FDTI converter, also with a Buspirate (UART,SPI).

73 de Jean-Marc - F1SCA


Re: PIDV as an USB dongle

Jean-Marc F1SCA
 

Sorry a tipo in my previous post . Of course the CB CAN'T be suspected. CB works very well with dongles.


Re: PIDV as an USB dongle

 

The PiDV, is strapped at 230kb, you can change it by cutting a trace and adding jumpers at A-5 in the schematic. 

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 11:29 AM, Jean-Marc Magnier <magnier.jeanmarc@...> wrote:

Hi John,

thanks. I aleady did it and that works very well. But I need to convert it to a "USB dongle" in order to connect it to a CBRIDGE, which accept

only dongles.

The converted PIDV (either with an FTDI  or BusPirate) is reconized at the beginning but when the CBRIDGE want to change the parity bit, the PIDV

do not answer. So the CB condisers it's not a AMBE3000 and disables it.

This is the report :


Interrogate the device /dev/ttyUSB0 for status as a serial device


Test:: Is /dev/ttyUSB0 an AMBE vocoder or LTR?


Is AMBE or LTR


Success. Open the device /dev/ttyUSB0 on baud of 460.8 Kbaud, 8n1. 


Connect at AMBE speed


Turn on Parity bytes....


/dev/ttyUSB0 refused to answer comamnd to set parity. Waited 1460 ms.


Fail set parity command, so mark as NON AMBE vocoder


Failed to turn on parity for this device


We can suspect the CB, as CB works very well with UBS dongles.

73 QRO

Jean-Marc - F1SCA




--


John D. Hays
K7VE

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
   


Re: PIDV as an USB dongle

Jean-Marc F1SCA
 

John,

Thanks a lot.It works now. My PIDV is well reconized by the cbridge.

Thanks again

73 QRO de Jean-Marc - F1SCA


Re: PIDV as an USB dongle

 

Ben tu vois, quand tu veux... HI...

73 QRO,
Nicolas - F8FKD

--------------------------------------------

On Sun, 3/19/17, Jean-Marc Magnier <magnier.jeanmarc@...> wrote:

Subject: Re: [ambe] PIDV as an USB dongle
To: ambe@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Date: Sunday, March 19, 2017, 10:28 PM

John,

Thanks a lot.It works now. My
PIDV is well reconized by the cbridge.

Thanks again

73 QRO de Jean-Marc - F1SCA


Re: AMBEServer : Invalid start byte 0x05 (seems to expect 0x61)

Santu OTTAVI (TK1BI)
 

Hi,

Le 19/03/2017 à 11:14, Jean-Marc Magnier a écrit :
do you know this ?

https://github.com/N4IRS/DMRGateway/blob/master/DMRGatewayDiagram.pdf


Yes, I heard about DMRGateway. DMR will be the next step. But for now, we have enough to do here with D-Star, HI :-)

I was looking about an existing solution for a quick D-Star to Asterisk gateway. There are solutions with old software from KI4LKF, and they require an old AMBE2000 chip. But, as far as I understood, there are no ready-to-use solutions with modern AMBE3000 chips (such as DV3000, ThumbDV, PiDV).

Then, we'll have to adapt (or re-write) some software. DMRGateway would be a good start point.

Anyway, I have no skills (and no fun !) in C programming language. And some actual talented C programmers may not have /* and // keys on their keyboard, HI :-) This does not help to understand how their code works :-(

According to my (lack of) free time, such a project is out of scope for me. At least, for now ;-)

73 de TK1BI


Issues with timercontrol

Abbot Carder
 

Hello, 


I am using a AMBE 3000 board on a raspberry pi 3 and having issues getting timercontrol to work on it. I was wondering if there is a fix for this. I receive this error. 


Fatal Error: Assertion failed on line 38 in file TimerControl/TimerControlRemoteControlHandler.cpp and function CTimerControlRemoteControlHandler: !address.IsEmpty() 

 Thanks,


--
73 Ke8bts Abbot


problems when trying to access the DV3k stick

Adi / DL1HRC
 

Hi all,

I try to get DV3000u stick working using the manual ans some sample source code from http://www.dvsinc.com/manuals/AMBE-3000_manual.pdf to it. Almost everything is working well like getting Prod-Id with 0x61 0x00 0x01 0x00 0x33 and so on.
But if I send a channel packet to the device, e.g:

0x61 | 0x0,0xE | 0x1 | 0x40,0x1,0x48 | 0xE3,0xB4,0x47,0x54,0xD8,0x6F,0x89,0x40,0x80 | 0x3,0xA0

I always get PKT_READY back from it (0x61 0x0 0x1 0x0 0x39), never any speech packet (type 0x02).  I've tried to change the length, the format and the examples on pages 78/79. No success :/ I'm using the packet mode, no codec. Does anybody have a short working script to check the functionality of my stick?

Thank you in advance,

73s Adi



Re: problems when trying to access the DV3k stick

 

G4KLX cpp code to talk to the ThumbDV over serial USB
https://github.com/dl5di/OpenDV/blob/master/DummyRepeater/Common/DV3000SerialController.cpp

The same process would work with AMBEserver using UDP sockets.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 10:42 PM, Adi / DL1HRC <dl1hrc@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I try to get DV3000u stick working using the manual ans some sample source
code from http://www.dvsinc.com/manuals/AMBE-3000_manual.pdf to it. Almost
everything is working well like getting Prod-Id with 0x61 0x00 0x01 0x00
0x33 and so on.
But if I send a channel packet to the device, e.g:

0x61 | 0x0,0xE | 0x1 | 0x40,0x1,0x48 |
0xE3,0xB4,0x47,0x54,0xD8,0x6F,0x89,0x40,0x80 | 0x3,0xA0

I always get PKT_READY back from it (0x61 0x0 0x1 0x0 0x39), never any
speech packet (type 0x02). I've tried to change the length, the format and
the examples on pages 78/79. No success :/ I'm using the packet mode, no
codec. Does anybody have a short working script to check the functionality
of my stick?

Thank you in advance,

73s Adi


--

________________________________
John D. Hays
K7VE

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223


Re: problems when trying to access the DV3k stick

Adi / DL1HRC
 

yes John, analyzing this code for weeks and try to access the stick with exactly this pattern. Encoding audio is working, decoding not. From 1000 sample channel frames only one will be decoded. The stick is always responding 0x39 :/

73s Adi


Re: problems when trying to access the DV3k stick

 

Keep your sample buffer small, remembering that on air protocols are usually 20-30ms per sample.

You might drop G4KLX a note, since I haven't coded encode/decode.

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 2:09 AM, Adi / DL1HRC <dl1hrc@...> wrote:
yes John, analyzing this code for weeks and try to access the stick with exactly this pattern. Encoding audio is working, decoding not. From 1000 sample channel frames only one will be decoded. The stick is always responding 0x39 :/

73s Adi







--


John D. Hays
K7VE

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
   


Thumbdv problems

leslie norton <gm4jnw@...>
 

I have passed my NW digital Thumbdv dongle on to an amateur in Wales and he is having real problems with installation with windows 10

I have only used it with a mac and buster plus an earlier version of windows 7.

He has windows 10 and when he puts the dongle in it makes a dong noise and windows pops up with trying to find drivers and will come back with a solution, it doesnt of course. He tells me he has loaded the drivers, whats strange is if he tries to run the software without the dongle, the software tries to run but of course it does not as there is no dongle in. When plugging the dongle in, nothing apart from windows trying to find a solution.

When i used it with windows 7 i just installed the FTDI driver, restarted and then installed the dongle, then ran the windv software and it worked.

Is there either an easy step by step guide for a beginner or someone near him in wales who could talk him through it.

His call sign is GW0FJQ and he lives in a place called GELLI RHONDDA Gelli, PENTRE CF41 7TW Wales (he can be found on QRZ)

He is pulling his hair out and has emailed NW digital, with no answer.

I really want it to work for him, i passed it on for a bargain price but if it doesnt work i'll just buy it back but he really wants to try Dstar this way.

I can send any member his email address but its not appropriate to enclose it on here.