Topics

Ambe server on raspberry pi 3 B+

Ke4tlc <ke4tlc@...>

How can I install ambe server on raspberry pi 3 B+.

This has two answers --

1. Install current Raspbian and follow these steps -- https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/ambe/wiki/AMBEserver-Addendum#Quick-Build-on-Linux (Quick Build on Linux)

2. Install latest (not stable/supported) Compass Wilderness -- http://archive.compasslinux.org/images/wilderness/ and apt-get install the ambeserver package.

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 7:16 AM, Ke4tlc <ke4tlc@...> wrote:
How can I install ambe server on raspberry pi 3 B+.

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Tom Corcoran

Hello John,
if Ambe server is on RPi, can I use ThumbDV? If so, how do I connect microphone & speaker?

tnx .... Tom VE3NY

AMBEserver is a service that applications use to convert digitized speech into AMBE and vice versa.  Applications that have been adapted to use AMBEserver include, but are not limited to:

BlueDV (Windows, etc.)
WinDV
DummyRepeater (Windows/Linux)

If one was using DummyRepeater/ircDDBGateway on a Raspberry Pi, then those applications could use the AMBEserver on the same (or a different) Raspberry Pi.

AMBEserver works with either the ThumbDV or PiDV hardware.

The Microphone/Speaker would be integrated in the above applications.

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 12:11 PM, <tcorcoran@...> wrote:
Hello John,
if Ambe server is on RPi, can I use ThumbDV? If so, how do I connect microphone & speaker?

tnx .... Tom VE3NY

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

And on MacOS - Buster.

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 1:19 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
[...]

node750tt@...

Edited

This is my first post, I have a RPi 3 B+ and my USB dongle is the European version of the ThumbDV it is DVstick 30 which I use with BlueDV on my windows machines.

I have installed
Compass OS
Ambeserver
Dummy Repeater
IrcDDBgateway

However I am unable to get on to DStar. I am not quite sure as to how exactly all goes.
I start the ambeserver with sudo systemctl ambeserver@...
I check with sudo systemctl status ambeserver@... I see ACTIVE in green. I then run the sudo python ambesocket.py script, it shows the server is fine and running.
I start ircddbgateway and getting and error
Cannot open var/log click OK get another error
Assertion Fail on Line 67 in file Common/logger.cpp and function DoLog:m_file->IsOpened()
Abort.
I set in Dummy Repeater DV-Dongle and Device ttyUSB0
When I start dummyrepeater it opens only with a DEBUG white screen
I check with dmesg | grep tty and see that the dongle is on ttyUSB0
Now I cannot get dummyrepeater pass this screen, to reconfigure it.
Anyone can walk me through getting this going to onto DStar on RPi ?

Welcome to the group.

The DVstick is a completely separate and independent product from the NW Digital Radio ThumbDV, but that being said, let's clear up some of the information.

Compass OS is really only required for the UDRC family of boards, to support a driver.  AMBEserver should run on almost any Linux, including stock Raspbian Stretch.  The newest 'Cedar' Compass images are Raspbian Stretch and the driver is now loadable either on Compass or Raspbian (see https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/compass/topics for discussion).

AMBEserver, DummyRepeater, and ircDDBgateway are installable on the Compass image (or Raspbian with the right repositories included) and are the development work of G4KLX and there are Yahoo! Groups to support them (ircDDBGateway and pcrepeatercontroller).

DummyRepeater can either talk to AMBEserver by selecting it in the configuration or directly to the USB port (with AMBEserver disabled, only one program can access the physical USB port at a time).   If you select the USB route, make sure you select the 'DV3000' (doing this from memory) and not DVDongle, they are different chipsets and have different drivers.

If your ambeserver is working properly, you can test it from your BlueDV install on your Windows box by selecting AMBEserver in BlueDV and giving it the IP address of your Pi that is running ambeserver.

If you run ambesocket.py (with a running AMBEserver) and it goes back to the command prompt, then it didn't execute.

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 10:14 AM, <node750tt@...> wrote:
This is my first post, I have a RPi 3 B+ and my USB dongle is the European version of the ThumbDV it is DVstick 30 which I use with BlueDV on my windows machines.

I have installed
Compass OS
Ambeserver
Dummy Repeater
IrcDDBgateway

However I am unable to get on to DStar. I am not quite sure as to how exactly all goes.
I start the ambeserver with sudo systemctl ambeserver@...
I check with sudo systemctl status ambeserver@... I see ACTIVE in green. I then run the python ambesocket.py script, it gives no output but a prompt on the screen.
I start dummyrepeater click on Transmit and get cannot tx.
I check with dmesg | grep tty and see that the dongle is on ttyUSB0 and when I start ambeserver it shows it also, but when I set this in DummyRepeater under devices, it says it is not there.
Anyone can walk me through getting this to work. I will like to set the ambeserver to start every time I reboot my RPi.

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

node750tt@...

Thanks John for the reply.

ambeserver is running fine, tested it is fine and starts on reboot.
dummyrepeater is opening only on this debug screen,  what to do in order for it to open where I can get to the preference?
ircddbgateway how can I fix the error to get it working normally.

So the two pieces of the puzzle are:
Dummyrepeater
ircddbgateway

node750tt@...

Edited

So far I got Dummy Repeater to open and transmit, and got rid of this annoying debug screen. So I can get to the preference page. Went to home/pi ls -a open the file .Dummy Repeater and edit the dongle line to =
Now on the preference page I set Dongle to DV3000 network, Save and restart, dummy repeater is opening and transmitting.

For ircddbgateway, went to sudo ircddbgatewayconfig, you must use sudo to be able to save your settings. I reset some configurations as per the instructions listed, hxxp://nwdigitalradio.com/install-dummy-repeater-and-ircddbgateway/,  ( not sure the rules of posting live links hence xx ), choose one of the freeservers save and restart. Ran sudo ircddbgateway restart,  opened fine just not connected to IRCDDB.

The last sage in this puzzle to solved.

node750tt@...

Finally success.
Raspberry Pi3 B + with:
USB CMedia sound card:
compass image :
ambeserver:
dummy repeater:
ircddbgateway:
DVstick 30 dongle

setup and working fine on DStar.

node750tt@...

Hi John, can you tell me, I have RX fine but not getting the TX to work? I checked double checked the configuration but not getting out at all. Can you say where I went
wrong. to track this down.

I can can connect to the various REF fine, hearing all just no TX. The ambeserver server is running on boot the ircddbgateway is connected and outputting data, same for the DR.

Thanks

Hi Jeff,

Look at the logs in /var/log/opendv and see if it gives you an indication.

Support for ircddbgateway and dstarrepeater is through the Yahoo! groups.

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 9:51 AM, <node750tt@...> wrote:
Hi John, can you tell me, I have RX fine but not getting the TX to work? I checked double checked the configuration but not getting out at all. Can you say where I went
wrong. to track this down.

I can can connect to the various REF fine, hearing all just no TX. The ambeserver server is running on boot the ircddbgateway is connected and outputting data, same for the DR.

Thanks

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

node750tt@...

John,
When I boot the Pi without USB Dongle Ambeserver will not run. I must boot the Pi with the Dongle in one of the USB ports. So I cannot test the Dongle in the Window
PC using the Pi ip address in BlueDV as the ambeserver will not be running on the Pi.

Another thing in BlueDV setup under Ambe, when I uncheck ThumbDV / DV3000 box and tick use ambeserver box,  entered the ip address saved, open back up BlueDV setup page the tick in that box is not there. Do you think is is because BlueDV is realizing that the abmeserver is not running?

The server test fine on the Pi with the .py script. I also checked in ../log/opendv nothing in the logs show errors all shows fine.

pi@DStar:/ $ sudo systemctl status ambeserver@...
 ambeserver@... - DV3000 Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ambeserver@.service; enabled; vendor pres
   Active: active (running) since Wed 2018-08-01 07:11:08 UTC; 4min 18s ago
  Process: 442 ExecStartPre=/bin/chmod 0660 /dev/ttyUSB0 (code=exited, status=0/
  Process: 437 ExecStartPre=/bin/chgrp dialout /dev/ttyUSB0 (code=exited, status
 Main PID: 451 (AMBEserver)
   CGroup: /system.slice/system-ambeserver.slice/ambeserver@...
           ??451 /usr/sbin/AMBEserver -p 2460 -i /dev/ttyUSB0 -s 460800

Aug 01 07:11:08 DStar systemd[1]: Starting DV3000 Daemon...
Aug 01 07:11:08 DStar systemd[1]: Started DV3000 Daemon.
Aug 01 07:11:08 DStar AMBEserver[451]: AMBEserver: Starting...
Aug 01 07:11:08 DStar AMBEserver[451]: AMBEserver: Opened serial port /dev/ttyUS
Aug 01 07:11:08 DStar AMBEserver[451]: AMBEserver: Initialized AMBE3000R version
Aug 01 07:11:08 DStar AMBEserver[451]: AMBEserver: Listening for connections on

Server reply : a
                0AMBE3000R
I am able to drop or connect to any reflector, I double check my USB soundcard settings double check the alsamixer still no TX. only RX. Not sure what else to check.

node750tt@...

Thanks for directing my request, and my humble apologizes.

Just so you are aware I have directed (5) other hams to purchase the ThumbDV and you will see these orders coming through, you will be aware that I was the individual that directed them your way. That said, thanks for the guidance thus far. I think I nail the issue down to the USB Sound card.

No worries and thanks for the referrals, they are much appreciated and your friends should enjoy the sale price -- http://nwdigitalradio.com/thumbdv-sale-has-been-extended-thru-august/

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 10:18 AM, <node750tt@...> wrote:
Thanks for directing my request, and my humble apologizes.

Just so you are aware I have directed (5) other hams to purchase the ThumbDV and you will see these orders coming through, you will be aware that I was the individual that directed them your way. That said, thanks for the guidance thus far. I think I nail the issue down to the USB Sound card.

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

node750tt@...

Ordered my ThumbDV and 4 of my friends as well, did not get any discount. Geez.

Can anyone who has the ThumbDV connected to a Raspberry Pi explain or show how to connect a headset with Mic to communicate on the Pi with DStar?
Is this possible at all?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

If you purchased recently the ThumbDV has been on sale for $20 off which is cheaper than our 5% for 5 Qty discount. Was it 1 order for 5?

Thanks,
Bryan K7UDR

On Aug 8, 2018, at 11:00 PM, node750tt@... wrote:

Ordered my ThumbDV and 4 of my friends as well, did not get any discount. Geez.

Can anyone who has the ThumbDV connected to a Raspberry Pi explain or show how to connect a headset with Mic to communicate on the Pi with DStar?
Is this possible at all?

Jeff

node750tt@...

Hey Bryan,

It was one only for me, but thus far I have (4) confirmed inaddition to myself ordered the ThumbDv, and sure will encourage many others to get on board.

As I write now, one of my friends are setting up a paypal account to make an order.

I spoke with you in July the unit from what I remembered was $95.00US I am subject to correction here. So I saw a slight increase in price.

I have advised them all to take advantage of the sale on till the end of the month why they all placed the order.

You will see the callsigns from the Caribbean Ham community ordering that is due mainly to me encouraging them to do so.

I bought one even thought as I told you I have the DVstick30, but to support the project I ordered the ThumbDV.

73s
Jeff
9Y4AT

On Aug 9, 2018 at 20:23, <Bryan Hoyer> wrote:

Hi Jeff,

If you purchased recently the ThumbDV has been on sale for $20 off which is cheaper than our 5% for 5 Qty discount. Was it 1 order for 5?

Thanks,
Bryan K7UDR

On Aug 8, 2018, at 11:00 PM, node750tt@... wrote:

Ordered my ThumbDV and 4 of my friends as well, did not get any discount. Geez.

Can anyone who has the ThumbDV connected to a Raspberry Pi explain or show how to connect a headset with Mic to communicate on the Pi with DStar?
Is this possible at all?

Jeff

Node750Tt <node750tt@...>

Finally made the system up and runining. Just a heads up for those running Pi 3B + with "compass Linux" Ambeserver / ircddbgateway & DummyRepeater, and have issues with the audio, using a USB Soundcard. Post here will work the tweets out.

I will highly recommend the SYBA C-Media USB Soundcard with the CM119 chip, note, it will only work with a Mic with a (3) Post stereo jack.