Topics

Installing Windows version on Linux with MSIexec and Wine

KB3OIL@...

Note; originally posted on the main group's inquiries.

I had BlueDV installed on my Win 10 computer and used it with my ThumbDV with no problems.  My year old Dell recently dumped all for the fourth time.  Dell talked me through a software fix once and it went back to Dell hardware people twice for fixes.  Everything had to be reinstalled  each time.  After this recent major problem I dumped Windows 10 and installed one of the Ubuntu Linux's.  I now understand that AMBE 3000 is not a part of the Linux version of BlueDV (let me know if that is not correct).  I'm pretty much new to everything (except the world) including Linux.  However I did stumble on a site saying you can install a .msi file (Microsoft Installer) with Msiexec and Wine (Google both together).  I have not had any success doing this, but like I said, I'm still new to all of this.  Has anyone tried using these files or are able load BlueDV and use their ThumbDV with an Ubuntu version of Linux.

That is correct. The AMBE3000 is not supported on BlueDV Linux.

Greets and 73,

David PA7LIM

If you have a Windows license, you can setup a virtual machine on the Linux box.  https://www.oracle.com/virtualization/virtualbox/index.html

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 12:53 AM, KB3OIL via Groups.Io <KB3OIL@...> wrote:
[...]

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

KB3OIL@...

David/John,

Thanks David. John, yes I know about the Virtual box.  I've introduced myself to Linux going that route from WIndows.  I am trying to rid myself of Windows, but if that's the only way I can reinstall DMR software,  I might give it a go.   Just for your information I was able to install another Windows program (MobaXterm) that uses the Microsoft installer (.msi) without a problem.  It installed perfectly except for the username/password entres shows up on the right side of Web page and then the typed letters are entered from right to left  (ie drowssap).  Weird.  Really weird.  Every other SSH function seems to work perfectly.  The file manager, full screen editor, file transfer from from Windows to Linux and now Linux to Linux.  Anyway, thanks for the replies.