Topics

Gateway update for D Star.

Dan White <dan@...>

Edited

I can't use the Blue DV for our gateway W5SFA. When I update the list it is not there. Tried many times over the months. The gateway is registered and usable by others. Please advise. Thanks
Also, I am using w7pro 32 and ThumbDV 3000.

You need to add W5SFA 74.118.151.43 to the list in BlueDV.  Perhaps David is reading and can tell you how to do that?

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 5:46 AM, Dan White <dan@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I can't use the Blue DV for our gateway W5SFA. When I update the list it is not there. Tried many times over the months. The gateway is registered and usable by others. Please advise. Thanks
Also, I am using w7pro 32 and ThumbDV 3000.

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Hi,

Please sent me the hostname/dns-name of the 74.118.151.43. IP addresses are not accepted anymore because DNS names can be adjusted by the reflector/repeater admins themselves.

Greets and 73,

David PA7LIM

If the gateway operator at W5SFA doesn't want to sign up for AA4RCs security certs and automatic Dynamic DNS, they can get a DNS name by an alternate means and use https://letsencrypt.org/ for a security script.

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 11:26 AM, David PA7LIM <info@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi John,

I do not understand. You can buy a cheap DNS name like e.g. w5sfa.org and make an A record like:

gateway.w5sfa.org    IN  A     74.118.151.43

What has AA4RC to do with certs? Why do you need certs for your gateway?
If you need a cert I would advise the letsencrypt also! It is free and you only need to run a script every x months.

Greets and 73,

David PA7LIM

Op 14/06/2018 om 20:30 schreef John D Hays - K7VE:

[...]

Hi David,

AA4RC provides a wildcard cert for *.dstargateway.org (e.g. w5sfa.dstargateway.org) and dynamic DNS for gateways that use his DPLUS software, but you have to request it.

As you say, one can get their own DNS name, and add a free cert for https (to avoid browser security warnings) from Let's Encrypt if the gateway operator does not use AA4RC's service.

The dashboard on many G2/G3 + DPLUS gateways run under https as does the one at w5sfa.

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 11:51 AM, David PA7LIM <info@...> wrote:

[...]

W5SFA is registered with D-Star Gateway Systems and has been working on the WinDV program. Just the BlueDV doesn't show W5SFA in the gateway list. Not sure why it needs more than one registration. AA4 shows to be the default in the program. This is a G3 system, People from all over log into our repeater and use it. So it must be in someone's list. Dan W5AOV

Dan - what David is saying is he wants a domain name for it.  Check with the admin and get him a domain name for it and he will add it to BlueDV, then you should be able to link to it.

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 5:30 PM, Dan White <dan@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

W5SFA is registered with D-Star Gateway Systems and has been working on the WinDV program. Just the BlueDV doesn't show W5SFA in the gateway list. Not sure why it needs more than one registration. AA4 shows to be the default in the program. This is a G3 system, People from all over log into our repeater and use it. So it must be in someone's list. Dan W5AOV

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

You should find the files under Documents\BlueDV and you can add a host to DPlus_Hosts.txt with the callsign and IP address of the gateway.  (You will need to use an editor that understands Linux line termination (not Notepad.exe)

Or you can pull new files from https://ar-dns.net

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 5:36 PM, John D. Hays <john@...> wrote:
Dan - what David is saying is he wants a domain name for it.  Check with the admin and get him a domain name for it and he will add it to BlueDV, then you should be able to link to it.

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 5:30 PM, Dan White <dan@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

W5SFA is registered with D-Star Gateway Systems and has been working on the WinDV program. Just the BlueDV doesn't show W5SFA in the gateway list. Not sure why it needs more than one registration. AA4 shows to be the default in the program. This is a G3 system, People from all over log into our repeater and use it. So it must be in someone's list. Dan W5AOV

Edmonds, WA

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Dan White <dan@...>

John,

It is registered with the DPlus now. Our IP address is static. I am the trustee for the W5SFA repeaters but don’t do the Linux G3 portion. Our club web domain is W5SFA.org. Not sure if that is what you want.  Dan

Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2018 7:47 PM
Subject: Re: [ambe] Gateway update for D Star.

[...]

Right now it doesn't appear you have a domain name for your gateway, but since you have w5sfa.org, go to your domain registrar and add a domain address record like

d-star.w5sfa.org IN A 74.118.151.43 and test to see if it goes to your dashboard.  Once it does, pass that domain name on to David.

Then go to Let's Encrypt and generate the necessary cert for your dashboard so it will quite throwing security warnings.  Your users will be happier.

Otherwise, you can use the information I provided earlier to fix your BlueDV install so that you can link.  Nothing can link without the proper address and apparently the BlueDV install doesn't have w5sfa, so it will need fixed.  Either by providing David with the requested data, or patching your install.

Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2018 7:47 PM

[...]

Thanks. I will look into it. Dan