Topics

TOTALLY CONFUSED...

Kenny Richards

Gwen,

I'm glad you got it working, but I can't take any credit for writing the instructions, I just knew they had worked for me.

73,
Kenny, KU7M

Gwen Patton

Kenny,

Thank you! I pulled a clone of that repository, did a make, then make install, and now I have it working both from my Win7 pc on BlueDV AND from my Android phone on BlueDV.

It's still an experiment, but I have it actually functioning, so that's the important part.

The instructions prior to this are piecemeal, confusing, and as you've shown, full of obfuscations and incorrect information. THIS worked.

NOTHING on the Wiki worked at all. That wiki page needs to be edited to remove all the deprecated information.

Marco Della Cagna

I use this solution:
If you want try use ip 2.227.228.81 in your client.
73
Marco IK6IOQ

Il lun 17 set 2018, 22:23 Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> ha scritto:
Ok, I'm going to have to echo some of the plaintive requests by others who have asked this same thing before me.

I have a RasPi 3B+ that I want to install AMBEserver on. I would rather NOT have to build a whole new microSD with Compass on it, and from what John has said in earlier topics, it's not necessary -- you can install it on Raspbian Stretch, which is what I have currently. I can't install from an apt-get install ambeserver, it can't find the package. So I used the "quick build on Linux" instructions that John pointed to. I have an AMBEserver executable.

I created /etc/opendv because I didn't have one. I moved my executable there. I created the "ambeserver-ttyUSB0.conf" file using the information at the top of the Addendum.

I do NOT have an "ambeserver-ttyUSB0.service" file. I don't know how to BUILD that file. Since I'm not working with a system image that has any of the other files built into it, don't assume I have ANYTHING ELSE other than the executable and that .conf file, because there are no working instructions for how to GET them other than using a Compass image, and THAT is listed as "deprecated" or "unstable". There are posts saying that it should be able to run with any new Linux distro, including Raspbian Stretch, which I have.

Do I get this by installing OpenDV? Some other package? Is there a repository I can attach to?

This is a complete mess. There are no comprehensive and complete instructions anywhere. Everything is either old, or superceded, or incomplete, or doesn't work.

I just want to put the ThumbDV on a RasPi so I can access it using my phone around the house. I can put the ThumbDV on my phone using OTG, but then the battery drains like an inflatable pool hit with a weed whacker, and I can't charge it AND use the ThumbDV at the same time. Eventually, it'd be nice if I can port forward this out into the world so I can access it from the net anywhere, but that would be a much larger project. I'd be happy to be able to do it from my workbench without moving the ThumbDV and microphone there from my main shack PC.

How do I get the REST of the application suite required to get AMBEserver up and running on this Raspbian machine?

Gwen, NG3P

Kenny Richards

Gwen,

You shouldn't need any other packages or applications (suites), if you have successfully built AMBEserver from the source. I couldn't find default Github repo, but this one has what I remember as a working approach for building and running the app.

https://github.com/ea4aoj/AMBEServer/blob/master/README.md

You can start the program from the command line to get started, all the configuration required is given as command line parameters. (As outlined in the above README.md)  I believe the ambeserver-ttyUSB0.service file you referenced is just necessary to have AMBEserver auto start when the Pi boots.

I hope that helps...

Thanks
Kenny

Gwen Patton