Topics

Linking to XLX reflectors

Ted Huston

I’m using Buster on MacBook Pro and ThumbDV. It works on REF reflectors, but not XLX reflectors. Recent update allowed linking to XLX reflector and transmission confirmed on Dashboard. Could not hear person I was trying to communicate with but, he could hear me (using BlueDV on a PC). Any clues?
Ted W8JTH

Dick Herrick

Yes, same here.  I referred to Anna, Buster’s creator.  I’m sure she’ll take a look relatively soon.

Dick Herrick, BEE, PE
rjherrickpe@...

(Office) 704-509-2882
(Cell)    704-995-1522

On Sep 19, 2018, at 1:30 PM, Ted Huston <Jhuston1@...> wrote:

I’m using Buster on MacBook Pro and ThumbDV.  It works on REF reflectors, but not XLX reflectors.  Recent update allowed linking to XLX reflector and transmission confirmed on Dashboard.  Could not hear person I was trying to communicate with but, he could hear me (using BlueDV on a PC).  Any clues?
Ted W8JTH

Ian

I have Buster 1.2.3 and I experienced the same one-way effect.  In my case the cure I found is to issue a connect, for example, to DCS600 A instead of XLX600 A.

A connection to XLX defaults to Dextra connection with one-way audio whereas a connect to DCS defaults to DCS and audio is heard in both directions.

Is this what you are looking for ?

Regards,
Ian..

Dick Herrick

I suspect it’s an interim solution.  Friends using Windows machines can access 2-way audio by calling up the XLX reflectors. What you have here is a work-around which is fine.  However, I would not have known the association between the DCS and XLX nomenclature.  How did you figure that one out?

I was able to open the plist data in 1.2.3 to compare the “strings” in XLX and DCS plists.  Sure enough they point to the same … what appears to be … numeric DNS locations.  For your DCS600XLX600 example they both point to 13.16.14.204.  So is one a proxy for the other?

Thanks for writing back.

Dick Herrick, BEE, PE
rjherrickpe@...

(Office) 704-509-2882
(Cell)    704-995-1522

On Sep 20, 2018, at 2:50 PM, Ian <gm4upx@...> wrote:

I have Buster 1.2.3 and I experienced the same one-way effect.  In my case the cure I found is to issue a connect, for example, to DCS600 A instead of XLX600 A.

A connection to XLX defaults to Dextra connection with one-way audio whereas a connect to DCS defaults to DCS and audio is heard in both directions.

Is this what you are looking for ?

Regards,
Ian..

Steven Blackford

There’s been an issue w/ use the XRF protocol w/ XLX reflectors known for a while.  That’s why we recommend people use the DPLUS or DCS protocol on our XLX reflectors.  I know for some, that can be an issue,  but it solved all the problems we had w/ our users.  73 de K4SQI!

Steve, K4SQi

[...]

Annaliese McDermond

That’s what I figured. The dumb author of this software didn’t know who to ask about preferred protocols to the XLX reflectors and assumed that DExtra would work fine and was the easiest. I’m sure at some point in time soon that she’ll get around to shifting the protocol to connect to XLX reflectors to the DPlus or DCS link drivers instead. I heard she is getting married on Saturday, though, and has very limited time right now.

--
Annaliese McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems

On Sep 20, 2018, at 12:22 PM, Steven Blackford <kb7sqi@...> wrote:

[...]

<1DC21149D24B413BA6960A02F001AE55.png>

Ian

Purely as an exercise I have XLX running on a BeagleBoneBlack and today I updated my Macbook with the resulting one-way audio.

A few minutes testing identified my problem and a workaround.

Regards,
Ian..

On 2018-09-20 20:17, Dick Herrick via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Links:
------
[1] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/ambe/message/711
[2] https://groups.io/mt/25758194/162806