ThumbDV / ambed / AMBEServer reliability on Raspberry Pi 2 ?

Santu OTTAVI (TK1BI)

Hi all,

I'm running twi different setups :
- ambed with two ThumbDVs on a Raspberry Pi 2 (for XLX)
- AMBEserver with one ThumbDV on another Raspberry Pi 2 (for DVSwitch Analog_Bridge)
Both seem to malfunction after a while : scrambled audio, no audio at all, timeout errors in the logs, etc... Rebooting the RPi solves the problem, but the problem may appear again  later.

All the machines (XLX server, Analog_bridge, and the two RPIs) are in the same data center, and on the same VLAN. So, this is not a network latency problem, nor a port opening issue. Also, power supplies are "official" Raspberry Pi ones.

Did someone already encounter such issues with RPi 2 ? As USB problems are frequent topics in the RPi world, I'm thinking about connecting ThumbDVs through powered USB hubs. Any other ideas ?

Thank you in advance. 73 de TK1BI

Kenny Richards

Santu,

As another data point, I've had AMBEServer running on a Raspberry Pi 2 for months at a time without any issues. I typically only have a single instance of Buster (Mac client) connected and it is running all the time since I use it to monitor my DSTAR repeater.

73,
Kenny, KU7M

The XLX folks do not recommend the Raspberry Pi for ambed.

As far as Raspberry Pi in general, many of these issues are power supply related, both voltage (there is a drop through many leads and current output.   I would review my power supply first.

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 12:05 AM Santu OTTAVI (TK1BI) <t.ottavi@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm running twi different setups :
- ambed with two ThumbDVs on a Raspberry Pi 2 (for XLX)
- AMBEserver with one ThumbDV on another Raspberry Pi 2 (for DVSwitch Analog_Bridge)
Both seem to malfunction after a while : scrambled audio, no audio at all, timeout errors in the logs, etc... Rebooting the RPi solves the problem, but the problem may appear again  later.

All the machines (XLX server, Analog_bridge, and the two RPIs) are in the same data center, and on the same VLAN. So, this is not a network latency problem, nor a port opening issue. Also, power supplies are "official" Raspberry Pi ones.

Did someone already encounter such issues with RPi 2 ? As USB problems are frequent topics in the RPi world, I'm thinking about connecting ThumbDVs through powered USB hubs. Any other ideas ?

Thank you in advance. 73 de TK1BI

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Eric Osterberg

I would second that comment about power supplies. Nearly every problem (rare) I've ever had with my many Pi computers can be boiled down to weak power supply or the USB cable that feeds power... Keep cables in mind. All my problems in the past 24 months have been cable related. Even 12" long cables I have used in the past have become the 'power limiting' defect. These same cables still test and work for many things, just not power. New trusted, well made, large gauge cables have fixed my issues.

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 11:10 AM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
[...]

This is part of the reason on the DRAWS™ board we provide a 12VDC buck converter to power the Pi without lead loss.

Le 17/01/2019 à 18:09, John D Hays - K7VE a écrit :
As far as Raspberry Pi in general, many of these issues are power supply related, both voltage (there is a drop through many leads and current output.   I would review my power supply first.

Yes, I'm aware of power supply problems. I usually use commercial 5V power supplies, or DC-DC converters from 12V. Here, it's just a test setup. And in order to avoid power problems, I'm using two official Rspberry Foundation power supplies, with their attached power cord.

About USB cords, I really understood that when I bought a tiny USB voltmeter/ammeter on a famous Chines marketplace. This clearly shows USB cords are not equal. And even "branded" cords have very thin copper gauge, which generates huge voltage drops. I usually buy my USB cords from the brand "Aukey", which has serious 20AWG wires.

Then, it's not a power supply problem, and it's not a cord problem. And, as far as ambed and AMBEserver are two completely different software, I don't think it's a software problem.

I did not get much answer on the XLX forum. It seems several people are using second hand PCs. Anyway, as I want to connect it in my 42U rack in my data center housing, two PCs would take too much room. I'd like to install the two AMBE transcoders in a rackable 1U cabinet. That's why I'm trying to use them with mini-machines such as RPis

--
I've just connected the two ThumbDVs through powered USB hubs. Let's see what happens ;-)

If it happens again, I'll try to find some error in the logs, which would allow me to track the problem more seriously than waiting for a few hours, and listening if audio is scrambled or not...

73 de TK1BI