Topics

PiDV Connection to a FM Radio

Dave N2OA

I'm interested in a PiDV but want to know if it's capable of modulating and demodulating the signals off of the packet port on a FM rig? I can't seem to find any documention on the device to answer the question.

Thank you,

Dave

KA2OQZ

The PiDV and ThumbDV are serial devices for encoding and decoding audio to and from AMBE.  They do not connect to a radio or provide modulation or demodulation.

The UDRC can provide the modem to talk to a radio.  However, for a complete solution you would need both and software to handle the protocol, radio, and audio.

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Dave KA2OQZ <kdcarlso@...> wrote:

I'm interested in a PiDV but want to know if it's capable of modulating and demodulating the signals off of the packet port on a FM rig? I can't seem to find any documention on the device to answer the question.

Thank you,

Dave

KA2OQZ

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

Dave N2OA

Is that software available has to be the next question. 😄

Dave

On Dec 12, 2016, at 5:08 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

The PiDV and ThumbDV are serial devices for encoding and decoding audio to and from AMBE.  They do not connect to a radio or provide modulation or demodulation.

The UDRC can provide the modem to talk to a radio.  However, for a complete solution you would need both and software to handle the protocol, radio, and audio.

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Dave KA2OQZ <kdcarlso@...> wrote:

I'm interested in a PiDV but want to know if it's capable of modulating and demodulating the signals off of the packet port on a FM rig? I can't seem to find any documention on the device to answer the question.

Thank you,

Dave

KA2OQZ

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

You can get there, but it is kind of ugly at this point  UDRC <--> dstarrepeater <--> ircddbgateway <--> DummyRepeater <--> AMBEserver (with PiDV or ThumbDV)

Audio goes in and out of DummyRepeater.

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 2:12 PM, Dave KA2OQZ <kdcarlso@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you.. Yeah that’s not pretty but it might be worth playing with.. It’s times like this that make me wish I had gotten into software J It would be a great product if someone could simplify the software and package all the pieces into one nice little box with a display to give any rig digital capability..

[...]

Ian

FYI,

I currently use my ThumbDV and two Baofeng 888's on D_Star, audio reports are good and my pal who lives in the next street has used his IC706 for D_Star via my 888 while I am in control of my station.

It's a useful learning project

Regards,
Ian..

On 12-12-2016 22:38, Dave KA2OQZ wrote:
*
*
Thank you.. Yeah that’s not pretty but it might be worth playing
with.. It’s times like this that make me wish I had gotten into
software J It would be a great product if someone could simplify the
software and package all the pieces into one nice little box with a
display to give any rig digital capability..
FROM: ambe@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
[mailto:ambe@nw-digital-radio.groups.io] ON BEHALF OF John D Hays -
K7VE
SENT: Monday, December 12, 2016 5:27 PM
TO: ambe@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
SUBJECT: Re: [ambe] PiDV Connection to a FM Radio

--
-------------------------
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223