ThumbDV on rPi 4

Patrick Perdue

Hi:

I've had several ThumbDV's for a while, but I have not, until now, had occasion to try using one with a Raspberry Pi 4.

Though it seems to work fine with a Pi 2, I'm having issues with a known good dongle on a revision 1.2 rPi4 1GB board, and the official Raspberry Pi Foundation USB C power supply.

I have installed AMBEserver, which usually, but doesn't always initialize the vocoder. Sometimes, it hangs at opening serial port, then the next service restart works fine.

When it is initialized, I get about 5 seconds of solid transcoding from it, then audio gets choppy, and errors start flying from applications using it. So far, I have tried using BlueDV with AMBEserver, and Analog_Bridge from DVSwitch, both with AMBEserver and by direct use of /dev/ttyUSB0, all with the same results.

I have changed the port latency from 16 to 1, as recommended by DVSwitch. This seemed to help with my old Pi2 setup, but made no real difference here.

I've tried on all USB ports.

Has anyone else seen this with rPi4's in particular? Would a powered USB hub help?

73

N2DYI

Lee

I have found that most software that works on Pi 2 and 3 does not work properly on the 4.

On 12/15/2021 10:56 PM, Patrick Perdue wrote:
[...]

Gwen Patton

I freely admit that I've only tried my ThumbDV with my pi 3b+, but I always use a powered hub. The pi USB ports don't have enough juice.

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021, 10:56 PM Patrick Perdue <borrisinabox@...> wrote:
[...]

Well, that's the interesting thing. I'm running it completely from the bus on my rPi2, no powered hub, and it's been running great for two years like that.

On 12/16/2021 12:53 AM, Gwen Patton wrote:
[...]

Brad N8PC <bradnk8j@...>

really?  I have a thumbdv on a pi3b+ running DVSwitch server with no problems. make sure your supplying enough Current to the pi 3b+. I suggest 2 to 3 amps at 5 volts

I run a raspberry Pi 4 running Hamvoip with echolink and DMR Bridge and Hamshack hotline on my repeater. works just fine

[...]

which software? a lot has been updated to run on it.

On 12/15/2021 11:01 PM, Lee wrote:
[...]

The power supply I'm using is 3.5 amps at 5.2 volts, so I don't know what's going on. I switched to a software vocoder for D-STAR, which sounds absolutely terrible, but it does confirm that something is happening with the AMBE hardware that makes everything fall over after a few seconds of transmission.

I tried another, slightly different power supply with the same specs, also with the same result.

I then tried the same dongle on a Pi 3B Plus, and it works fine there, but not on my 4.

On 12/16/2021 8:34 AM, Brad N8PC wrote:
[...]

I have found that almost everything that runs on a 3 will not run on a 4

On 12/16/2021 10:34 AM, Patrick Perdue wrote:

[...]

I have definitely not found this to be the case. A couple of things were pretty rough at first, but, I side from this AMBE thing, I haven’t had any real issues to speak of.

Sent from my zippo

On Dec 16, 2021, at 11:10, Lee <lee@...> wrote:

[...]

The software has to be written for the Pi4. If you do any reading on it, this was explained when it was first released.

On 12/16/2021 11:17 AM, Patrick Perdue wrote:
[...]

The Pi4 is probably not going to work because the software is not compatible.

Unlikely and you can always recompile AMBEserver https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/ambeserver-install if you want to make sure it is built for any supported processor and OS.

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 11:26 AM Lee <lee@...> wrote:

[...]

K7VE / WRJT-215

Patrick Perdue

AMBEserver isn't the problem here. I have also encountered this behavior with DVSwitch Analog_Bridge, which is widely being used on Pi 4 boards, has native DV3000/ThumbDV support without the use of AMBEserver. And, in any case, I compiled AMBEserver from source, as John said.

On 12/16/2021 3:57 PM, John D Hays - K7VE wrote:
[...]

Some of the power supplies just don't cut it. One that will supply in excess of 3.5 amps seems to work fine.