Problem Connecting ThumbDV to BlueDV for Windows

May 3, 2022

Just got my NWDR ThumbDV (DV3000U) dongle in the mail today.  I need the most recent installation instructions, please.

I tried to follow some dated YouTube and other online resources but to no avail…  My Windows 11 Pro (64 bit) PC has BlueDV for Windows (Version 1.0.0.9610) installed (and reinstalled), but it will not connect to the ThumbDV dongle on USB Serial Port (COM4).

Any help would be appreciated.

73s,

Kevin Walton / N4RMF

Hi Kevin,

Go to our groups.io and join the AMBE Sub-group. There are many helpful users as well as the author of BlueDV.

73,
Bryan K7UDR

On Wed, May 4, 2022 at 7:18 AM Kevin (N4RMF) <baptist@...> wrote:

May 3, 2022

Just got my NWDR ThumbDV (DV3000U) dongle in the mail today.  I need the most recent installation instructions, please.

I tried to follow some dated YouTube and other online resources but to no avail…  My Windows 11 Pro (64 bit) PC has BlueDV for Windows (Version 1.0.0.9610) installed (and reinstalled), but it will not connect to the ThumbDV dongle on USB Serial Port (COM4).

Any help would be appreciated.

73s,

Kevin Walton / N4RMF

Nick

Have you tried changing the Baud Rate?  115200 perhaps or something else?

I use the AMBEserver with an RPi so I can connect across multiple computers.

On May 4, 2022, at 9:28 AM, Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:

Hi Kevin,

Go to our groups.io and join the AMBE Sub-group. There are many helpful users as well as the author of BlueDV.

73,
Bryan K7UDR

On Wed, May 4, 2022 at 7:18 AM Kevin (N4RMF) <baptist@...> wrote:

May 3, 2022

Just got my NWDR ThumbDV (DV3000U) dongle in the mail today.  I need the most recent installation instructions, please.

I tried to follow some dated YouTube and other online resources but to no avail…  My Windows 11 Pro (64 bit) PC has BlueDV for Windows (Version 1.0.0.9610) installed (and reinstalled), but it will not connect to the ThumbDV dongle on USB Serial Port (COM4).

Any help would be appreciated.

73s,

Kevin Walton / N4RMF

image001.png

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

Which version of the ThumbDV you have? I believe newer ones use 460800 baud rate which is not selected in the config you provided.

Have you tried switching the baud rate?

73,

--
- Dave, W3DJS
-- Lifetime Member of ARRL & GARS and curator of HamPi, the ham radio software distribution for the Raspberry Pi --

jerrybentnails@verizon.net

You need to go to brandmeister register create a hotspot password then put the Hotspot password in the blueDV you also must register. D-star

<baptist@...> wrote:

May 3, 2022

Just got my NWDR ThumbDV (DV3000U) dongle in the mail today.  I need the most recent installation instructions, please.

I tried to follow some dated YouTube and other online resources but to no avail…  My Windows 11 Pro (64 bit) PC has BlueDV for Windows (Version 1.0.0.9610) installed (and reinstalled), but it will not connect to the ThumbDV dongle on USB Serial Port (COM4).

Any help would be appreciated.

73s,

Kevin Walton / N4RMF

Yes, only very early ThumbDVs use the 230.4K rate.  Switch to 460800.  You may need to unplug and replug the ThumbDV, after changing the baud rate, if you used the wrong baud rate.

On Wed, May 4, 2022 at 10:37 AM Dave Slotter, W3DJS <slotter@...> wrote:
Which version of the ThumbDV you have? I believe newer ones use 460800 baud rate which is not selected in the config you provided.

Have you tried switching the baud rate?

73,

On Wed, May 4, 2022 at 10:18 AM Kevin (N4RMF) <baptist@...> wrote:

May 3, 2022

Just got my NWDR ThumbDV (DV3000U) dongle in the mail today.  I need the most recent installation instructions, please.

I tried to follow some dated YouTube and other online resources but to no avail…  My Windows 11 Pro (64 bit) PC has BlueDV for Windows (Version 1.0.0.9610) installed (and reinstalled), but it will not connect to the ThumbDV dongle on USB Serial Port (COM4).

Any help would be appreciated.

73s,

Kevin Walton / N4RMF

K7VE / WRJT-215

Thank you! Switching to 460800 did the trick… and unplugging/replugging the ThumbDV.  Now to get the rest of the configurations completed.

73s,

[...]

Glad to be of help! By the way, I am one of the net control operators for the Georgia statewide DMR net on Wednesday nights at 8:00 p.m. eastern time on talk group 3113. By coincidence that just happens to be an hour and a half away if you want to join us!