Topics

Ambe connection problem

Paul Menown <pako20@...>
 

I can connect to the server running on my main pc and using a windows laptop running blue dv, but

I have an Huawei android phone running android 7  and small lenovo tablet runnin android 5.0.1 and I can not get either to connect.. Any ideas?

Cheers

Paul

gi4fzd

Paul Menown <pako20@...>
 

Ok I resurrected an old motorola phone and it is working ok, but can't get other 2 items to connect..strange

mi0ceo_geo@...
 

Im having problems with Huawei P8 as well, tablet samsung 7" no problems, old chineese Levono phone no probs odd with the Huawei

 

AMBEserver, whether Linux or Windows is a simple thing.  It listens on a know UDP port (usually 2460) at a given IP address and forwards PCM and AMBE packets over that port.  If the server responds properly to requests for one device, but not another, the debugging needs to be on the client setup.

The phone, computer, or tablet must be configured to send to and receive from the given IP address and PORT of the server.  This can be a LAN address (in which case the client must be on the LAN) or a routable Internet address (in which case the client must be on the Internet).

Tom Cichowicz
 

John;

   Question... Can there be multiple client connections to the AmbeServer? If so how is it handled, first come first served? Will both clients be able to hear/control connections to different reflectors?

-- 
 
  ☀️ KM4VIG
   🌴 ~TomC.

Sent by pressing a send button. 

On Nov 14, 2017, at 2:28 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

AMBEserver, whether Linux or Windows is a simple thing.  It listens on a know UDP port (usually 2460) at a given IP address and forwards PCM and AMBE packets over that port.  If the server responds properly to requests for one device, but not another, the debugging needs to be on the client setup.

The phone, computer, or tablet must be configured to send to and receive from the given IP address and PORT of the server.  This can be a LAN address (in which case the client must be on the LAN) or a routable Internet address (in which case the client must be on the Internet).

 

The AMBEserver has nothing to do with connecting to various protocols, reflectors, etc.  That is all handled by the client software, eg BlueDV.  ThumbDV/AMBEserver only has one function: take in PCM encoded audio and return AMBE or take in AMBE and return PCM encoded audio (to the client).

Again, it is a simple system, it gets a PCM packet from a client and returns an AMBE packet to that client, receives an AMBE packet from a client and returns a PCM packet to that client.   A single AMBE-3000 chip handles a single stream, and having multiple clients would divide that stream up between the clients in an unpredictable way.  The AMBEserver doesn't have multiplexing capability.  If you are asking if you can use the same AMBEserver by different clients at different times, that works just fine -- simultaneous use is going to have problems.

Ambed, by the folks who are doing the XLX reflectors, handles multiplexing multiple streams to multiple AMBE devices on a timeshared basis, that is currently only supported by the XLXd service.

We are contemplating kick-starting a multi-ambe device for such applications as Ambed.

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 11:43 AM, Tom Cichowicz <tcichowicz@...> wrote:
John;

   Question... Can there be multiple client connections to the AmbeServer? If so how is it handled, first come first served? Will both clients be able to hear/control connections to different reflectors?

-- 
 
  ☀️ KM4VIG
   🌴 ~TomC.

Sent by pressing a send button. 

On Nov 14, 2017, at 2:28 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

AMBEserver, whether Linux or Windows is a simple thing.  It listens on a know UDP port (usually 2460) at a given IP address and forwards PCM and AMBE packets over that port.  If the server responds properly to requests for one device, but not another, the debugging needs to be on the client setup.

The phone, computer, or tablet must be configured to send to and receive from the given IP address and PORT of the server.  This can be a LAN address (in which case the client must be on the LAN) or a routable Internet address (in which case the client must be on the Internet).




--


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   

Tom Cichowicz
 

Ok, thanks for the detailed explanation. I know understand the traffic related issues that may arise. 

  Looking at my specific situation I would like to be able to share my AmbeServer with another Ham. Which seems to work fine so far. However I have been aware of his use and when. The problem lies in that when do we know when the server is currently busy? I guess we don't. 

   Ok thanks again and this provides yet another optional use for my ThumbDV!

-- 
 
  ☀️ KM4VIG
   🌴 ~TomC.

Sent by pressing a send button. 

On Nov 14, 2017, at 3:00 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

The AMBEserver has nothing to do with connecting to various protocols, reflectors, etc.  That is all handled by the client software, eg BlueDV.  ThumbDV/AMBEserver only has one function: take in PCM encoded audio and return AMBE or take in AMBE and return PCM encoded audio (to the client).

Again, it is a simple system, it gets a PCM packet from a client and returns an AMBE packet to that client, receives an AMBE packet from a client and returns a PCM packet to that client.   A single AMBE-3000 chip handles a single stream, and having multiple clients would divide that stream up between the clients in an unpredictable way.  The AMBEserver doesn't have multiplexing capability.  If you are asking if you can use the same AMBEserver by different clients at different times, that works just fine -- simultaneous use is going to have problems.

Ambed, by the folks who are doing the XLX reflectors, handles multiplexing multiple streams to multiple AMBE devices on a timeshared basis, that is currently only supported by the XLXd service.

We are contemplating kick-starting a multi-ambe device for such applications as Ambed.

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 11:43 AM, Tom Cichowicz <tcichowicz@...> wrote:
John;

   Question... Can there be multiple client connections to the AmbeServer? If so how is it handled, first come first served? Will both clients be able to hear/control connections to different reflectors?

-- 
 
  ☀️ KM4VIG
   🌴 ~TomC.

Sent by pressing a send button. 

On Nov 14, 2017, at 2:28 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

AMBEserver, whether Linux or Windows is a simple thing.  It listens on a know UDP port (usually 2460) at a given IP address and forwards PCM and AMBE packets over that port.  If the server responds properly to requests for one device, but not another, the debugging needs to be on the client setup.

The phone, computer, or tablet must be configured to send to and receive from the given IP address and PORT of the server.  This can be a LAN address (in which case the client must be on the LAN) or a routable Internet address (in which case the client must be on the Internet).




--


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   

Paul Menown <pako20@...>
 

I decided to try the server with the Huawei phone that i could not connect with, but using my noip address via the mobile network rather than my home wifi and it worked flawlessly.  So more head scratching to work out why is it being blocked on my home network but working over my mobile network, must be a firewall problem somewhere on my home wifi.

mi0ceo_geo@...
 

Must give it a try later ,well done. Still i wonder what is causing the problem with connection with the phone. 

Paul Menown <pako20@...>
 

Got mine all working now, it is a case of restarting the server when you change the android device...
Cheers
Paul