Topics

AMBE not detected by Thumb DV

Tim Lawrence

Hello all,

I am using Thumb DV with Blue dV version 9572 download.  I have installed everything correctly and am using the correct COM port.  However upon startup Blue DV does not recognize the AMBE software.  I get a firmware not detected error or if I uncheck the thumb DV box in the AMBE section of Blue DV I says connected to zumspot however I have no control over the AMBE setting mic gain, output etc and can hear no audio.  I have updated software and looked for a firmware upgrade for teh thumb DV however have came up empty.  Has anyone else experience this issue?

KJ4HPG
Tim

AB4WS - Jack

Check your communication speed for the port the ThumbDV is plugged into, early versions of the ThumbDV required slower communication speed while the newer device requires a faster speed.

On Jan 19, 2021, at 16:06, Tim Lawrence <kj4hpg@...> wrote:

Hello all,

I am using Thumb DV with Blue dV version 9572 download.  I have installed everything correctly and am using the correct COM port.  However upon startup Blue DV does not recognize the AMBE software.  I get a firmware not detected error or if I uncheck the thumb DV box in the AMBE section of Blue DV I says connected to zumspot however I have no control over the AMBE setting mic gain, output etc and can hear no audio.  I have updated software and looked for a firmware upgrade for teh thumb DV however have came up empty.  Has anyone else experience this issue?

KJ4HPG
Tim

Tim Lawrence

I have tried the different baud rates and it does not seem to have an effect.  The COM ports are correct it usually defaults to COM 6.  Looks like the software is just not communicating with the AMBE chip.  All settings are there just grayed out and can't adjust anything or use PTT function.  When I check the box to use the dongle the COM ports will not connect. When I uncheck it everything connects but just no audio.  It is receiving data.  I was going to install this on my PC and then if I want to connect to PC remotely via desktop would be able to pull up Dstar or DMR.

KJ4HPG
TIM

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 7:37 PM AB4WS - Jack <Ab4wsnews@...> wrote:
[...]

Brad N8PC

baud rate of the Thumbdv is not a common baud rate it is 460800. try that in the software for the ambe server

On 1/20/2021 11:00 AM, Tim Lawrence wrote:
[...]

Mike, AA9VI

Tim,
Have a look at these 2 links.  I'm wondering if the driver install isn't quite right.  I know these instructions are for the XLX utility, but the driver install is probably identical.  I also used the 1.3.6 driver since the newer 1.4.8 did not work.

I'd try and get the 1.3.6 drivers first.  I got them from the XLXbbs:

make sure you have the build-essential and g++ packages installed

Then follow this to install:

Be sure to also add your username to the device group.  (i.e dialout for debian in the device group)

Mike, AA9VI

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

Tim,

These are my (redacted) settings for BlueDV for Windows.

Where I have filled in "YOURCALL", you should put in your callsign. Where I have filled in "DMR_ID" in three places, you should put in your assigned DMR ID number. I have both a ThumbDV and another (competitor) AMBE USB Dongle. I have the AMBE USB dongle plugged into COM4 -- you should confirm you have the right COM port. Notice I select COM4 under "Serial Port Radio" and also under "AMBE Serial Port" (two places). Depending on how new or old your ThumbDV is, you should either select 230400 baud or 460800 baud.

Are you able to share what your settings look like?

--
- Dave
  W3DJS

Have you run the ThumbTest.exe from https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/ambe/files  ???

The ThumbDV™ appears to the operating system and applications as a simple serial device.  There is no user firmware to be loaded to the ThumbDV™  -- that warning is a 'red herring' that applies to other devices that BlueDV interacts with.

The driver is simply the FTDI USB drivers (which on Windows should just automatically load and on Linux they are built in).  The serial (COM) port either is there or it isn't.

If you can talk to the right COM port at the right data rate, using the test program for Windows (or the python scripts for Linux), then the ThumbDV™ is good --  it is then a configuration issue or an application/operating system issue to be debugged.