Topics

AMBE server multiple connections

Derek William Haden

I have the AMBE server running, thanks for the instructions John, very comprehensive.

I am making an assumption here.

The whole point of using AMBE server rather than connecting directly via USB to the stick is so that more than one connection can use the AMBE server?

However when I try to connect connect BlueDVambe and DVswitch the results are "Interesting" to say the least.

I am making another assumption here, would setting up a second service to the dongle on a different port allow this to work.

Hi Derek,

AMBEserver only supports one client at a time.  It is simply a mechanism to make the serial (USB) connection to an AMBE3000 device available on a UDP port.

The server can be shared by ending one client and starting another.  It doesn't do any multiplexing and the DVSI AMBE 3000 Chip only has one pipeline.

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 1:55 AM Derek William Haden <facebook@...> wrote:
I have the AMBE server running, thanks for the instructions John, very comprehensive.

I am making an assumption here.

The whole point of using AMBE server rather than connecting directly via USB to the stick is so that more than one connection can use the AMBE server?

However when I try to connect connect BlueDVambe and DVswitch the results are "Interesting" to say the least.

I am making another assumption here, would setting up a second service to the dongle on a different port allow this to work.

Derek William Haden

Thanks John for the clarification.

But I could have 2 dongles running as servers on the same Pi but offering up it's service on different port?

Yes, that would work.

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 11:42 AM Derek William Haden <facebook@...> wrote:

Thanks John for the clarification.

But I could have 2 dongles running as servers on the same Pi but offering up it's service on different port?

Kenny Richards

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 01:55 AM, Derek William Haden wrote:
The whole point of using AMBE server rather than connecting directly via USB to the stick is so that more than one connection can use the AMBE server?
Derek - there is another reasons, which covers my personal case. I personally have more than one computer that I work on, so using AMBE server I am able to launch Buster where ever I happen to be working. I've also exposed AMBEsever to the outside world, so I can even launch it when using my laptop somewhere remote.

73,
Kenny

alpha foxtrotsix

I believe you can add a second ambe device (ThumbDV, etc.) and use a different port and support 2 connections. One on each port.

Jeff

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020, 10:30 John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
[...]

You can run multiple instances of AMBEserver on a computer each with it's own ThumbDV™ and UDP port.