#ambe #thumbdv #ambe #bluedv bluedvambe drops reflector after about 30 seconds OTG #ambe #thumbdv #bluedv

Bryan, KJ7PRS

Edited

Greetings,

I am new here and new to the bluedvambe android.  I am using the thumbdv OTG with bluedvambe on my android.  It connects to reflectors with no issue and I hear stations with no problem.  I can move reflectors without issue so it seems to be working to some degree.

I have two issues.  It appears to be transmitting but I do not show up on my dashboards of my D-Star radios or on the reflector dashboards, and I can't hear myself on my radios.  The second issue is I get dropped after about 30 seconds but it says I am connected.

I should add, Galaxy x-cover pro phone with Android 10.

Any help would be appreciated, 73, stay healthy, KJ7PRS, Bryan

EI3IBB Mark <markobyrnes@...>

Hi Bryan,

I use the DVMEGA DVstick 30 and have no issues with Blue DV, the only thing I can think about is that if you are connected to the reflector on two different devices you can get booted off or even banned from the likes of REF 30C and some brandmeister channels, the issue is mainly down to bandwidth and the cost.

I now mostly use the DVMEGA Globetrotter, this is really amazing, I leave it in my Mothers house because I can only get 4G at my QTH a ( until tomorrow when I finally get 1GB Fibre ) and they use the dreaded CGNAT which means incoming connections to the house are impossible. The Globetrotter does need a static IP.

The Globetrotter is very convenient, I can connect from my Chromebook, Windows Laptop and android devices without having anything plugged in, can make some QSO in work if it's quiet from my phone using a bluetooth headset but with blue dv audio levels need to be adjusted or it can sound awful but I always get compliments with my audio from Blue DV it's much better than using a hotspot and HT, a friend of mine recorded my audio and the difference between his yaesu rig and the Anytone 878 and the blue dv was amazing.

The other thing for those not familiar with bluedv is that the Windows version is really fantastic, you can monitor 3 Digi modes at the same time and when one becomes active it flashes up on the screen and you simply click on it, there's no waiting on gaps in transmission to get in or out of channels too which is really amazing because with Repeater, Hotspot and HT it's almost impossible to get out of come channels due to people not leaving enough gap in transmission but with blue dv this is no problem either on windows or android.

I no longer use my Anytone 878 or Openspot 3 really, it's just much more convenient to use my phone, I don't use repeaters anyway so HT now-a-days to use the digi network is not necessary. The Globetrotter and blue DV has transformed my experience with digi modes.

Gwen Patton

I tried using the ThumbDV with an OTG adapter to my Android phone. While it WORKED, the battery drain was horrific. So I set up my own little mini AMBE server, using a Raspberry Pi 3b, a powered USB hub, and an Ethernet connection to the net. I installed AMBEserver on the Pi, as well as a dynamic DNS monitor, to check what IP address I'm using. I have an account at dyndns.org that works in tandem with the DNS monitor. If my home IP address changes, the monitor updates dyndns.org with the current address, to keep things in sync.

I plug the ThumbDV into the powered hub, the hub into the Pi, and power up the hub. I can SSH into the Pi, and start up the server, leaving the SSH session running in the background of the computer I'm using to access it. I know I should be able to just connect a monitor and keyboard to the Pi, log in, and set it running that way, but I don't have a spare monitor and keyboard to use on the Pi, so I run it headless. I should also be able to somehow set the AMBEServer job running in the background, and not have to keep the SSH window up, but I'm not a big wrinkly-brain genius with Linux, and haven't been able to figure that out. It would appear that it isn't as simple as putting an ampersand (&) at the end of the line that starts up AMBEServer, since I've never gotten that to work.

Ok, enough blathering about stuff you may not be familiar with, and I'm barely familiar with myself. Why do I jump through these hoops?

So I can go anywhere and access my ThumbDV!

Once I have that set up, with a tunnel through my home firewall, I can connect via BlueDV, either Windows or Android version, and point it at my dynamic DNS address in the setup file. This means I can use it on any computer connected to my home network, or with my phone anywhere I can get data. I can run it on an Android tablet, or a Chromebook advanced enough to run Android apps. This is incredibly valuable! And I don't need to take the OTG adapter and expensive ThumbDV into the field, where they might get lost, stolen, or just damaged. I just need to install the appropriate version of BlueDV, configure it, and I can use DMR, D-Star, and Fusion from anywhere I can get data service.

As to the 30 second timing out, first question: are you trying to access D-Star when you experience this? Second question: do you have a D-Star account? I *think* I remember something about people who access D-Star without an account getting booted automatically after a short period, but I don't remember where I saw that. If you DO have a D-Star account, make sure you've got that info in your setup. If it's NOT D-Star you're having trouble with, is it Brandmeister DMR? They made a change a while back, that you need to have a Brandmeister self-service account, and you no longer log into Brandmeister with a generic passw0rd. You use the userid and personal password you set when you got a Brandmeister self-serv account.

Most of this is using free services -- Brandmeister hadn't started charging as far as I know, and neither does D-Star, AMBEServer is freely available, as is the IP address monitor. I DO pay a yearly fee to dyndns.org, but that's small and worth every penny! The hardware...the Raspberry Pi is the most expensive bit other than the ThumbDV itself.

I don't have the configuration for the AMBEServer handy, but I think I just followed the instructions in a video from David PA7LIM. I do NOT use Buster. I also haven't upgraded the operating system or its tools on my Raspberry Pi in a long time. So I'm fairly certain what I did then can be done now for a reasonable cost.

IF you're not familiar with Dynamic DNS, you should read about it, it's a fantastically useful tool that can save you money.

(If I've misread your issue, or otherwise just wasted your time with a wall of unnecessary text, please forgive me in advance!)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 5:13 AM EI3IBB Mark <markobyrnes@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the replies.  I do the same with my clear node. With my phone I can access the Clear Node from anywhere and QSO on all the digital modes, (Allstar and Echolink included) except D-Star.  I guy gave me the ThumbDV so I thought I would give it a shot.  I got it working great with my Windows laptop but not with the Android phone.  I don’t connect to reflectors with more than one unit at a time so that is not the issue.  The server route is the way to go.  I probably won’t set it up that way just to add D-Star.  I have several D-Star radios or I can use the ThumbDV on the laptop.  I thought there might have been a simple fix or something I was missing that another user had ran into.

Stay safe and healthy, Bryan, KJ7PRS

EI3IBB Mark <markobyrnes@...>

I don't know whether it's related to the thumbdv or not but it works perfectly for me using the DVMEGA DVstick 30 on my Xiegu Poco X3 Pro and on my Chrombook and of course Windows laptop.

I just rooted through the settings on my Poco X3 Pro and I just remembered the fun I had setting up my Openspot 3 to use D-Star, it was a bit frustrating and I think this might be your issue thinking back, in fact, I would bet on it.

The Openspot 3 is a really great device and allows you to check if your D-Star registration is set up properly and tells you if not, if not you can't TX on the D-Star Network.

Check the information in the link below, I had to follow this exactly before I could TX on D-Star. Let me know if it works but I bet the issue is that your D-Star registration is not setup properly for hotspot use, once it is BlueDV will work also.

https://regist.dstargateway.org/instructions/ and check this Openspot link too, I bet this info here is your issue. https://forum.sharkrf.com/viewtopic.php?t=1963

EI3IBB Mark <markobyrnes@...>

Hi Gwen,

One reason I chose the DVMEGA Globetrotter is because it's OS is in the firmware and it can't get corrupted like the Raspberry PI, you can switch it on and off in seconds as you don't have to wait for the OS to load and you don't have to go into some menu to shutdown. This is much the same with the Openspot 3, it makes it much more convenient for on the go, in the car use.

The Globetrotter can also be used as a Dongle and plugged into the OTG connector.

However, there's no comparison between a radio and hotspot and BlueDV when it comes to audio quality, the Blue DV TX and RX audio quality is just really good and even much better than most dedicated radios built for their own Networks like D-Star and Fusion.

Bryan, KJ7PRS

PROBLEM SOLVED.  I did a delete/reinstall and the problem fixed itself for now.  Thanks for the input.  My D-Star reg is fine.  I use D-Star all the time, just not with the ThumbDV.

Stay safe, see you down the log, KJ7PRS