Topics

ambeserver on Raspian Jessie with ThumbDV locks BlueDV on receive after having changed UDP Port

TG9AOR
 

Hello to all. I added the CompassLinux repository(alder main) to my pi, installed ambeserver and it worked as expected when accesed from wherever, very nice to operate like this. I also have on this pi a DVMega and a DVAP so the Mega runs C4FM Mode and the DVAP DSTAR. I was helping out another Operator set up his BlueDV for AMBE operation, using his ThumbDV locally on his machine. Since I sent him a picture of my AMBE settings, I wanted to change my port after the fact and so I did, and restarted  the service afterwards, also updated the firewall rules to allow the connections on my new designated port. But after doing this my system does not decode at all. I connect to the server, and if I send a tx on DMR to the Parot(9990  P) as soon as it comes back the status on the bottom changes from Connected to AMBEserver to Reconnecting to AMBEserver. If I run sudo systems ambeserver@... it says running and it says it is listening. I do not know if ambeserver generates a log, for analysis.

I have tried to apt-get autoremove and install it but it all went to this state after having changed the port number. It happens as well on DSTAR< I tried it on REF001E.


I am planning on wiping it all and redo everything, just want to know what I did wrong to avoid the mistake.

73 de TG9AOR

Steven Blackford
 

Joe,
  I'm guessing you're running this with a ThumbDV.  I'd stop the ambe service, unplug the ThumbDV, plug it back in, and re-start the ambe service.  I've noticed the issue w/ the ThumbDV before.  I normally run my AMBE service with a PIDV.  If I have it setup on a PI, I've had to power off the PI, & power it back up.  I never have that issue on my ODroid C1 though with the PIDV on it.   Hope things are going well!  It's been a while & I've missed you a few times on TG 3137.  Hope to catch up with you soon!  73 de K4SQI!

Steve, K4SQI

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 2:13 PM, TG9AOR via Groups.Io <agroaviation@...> wrote:
Hello to all. I added the CompassLinux repository(alder main) to my pi, installed ambeserver and it worked as expected when accesed from wherever, very nice to operate like this. I also have on this pi a DVMega and a DVAP so the Mega runs C4FM Mode and the DVAP DSTAR. I was helping out another Operator set up his BlueDV for AMBE operation, using his ThumbDV locally on his machine. Since I sent him a picture of my AMBE settings, I wanted to change my port after the fact and so I did, and restarted  the service afterwards, also updated the firewall rules to allow the connections on my new designated port. But after doing this my system does not decode at all. I connect to the server, and if I send a tx on DMR to the Parot(9990  P) as soon as it comes back the status on the bottom changes from Connected to AMBEserver to Reconnecting to AMBEserver. If I run sudo systems ambeserver@... it says running and it says it is listening. I do not know if ambeserver generates a log, for analysis.

I have tried to apt-get autoremove and install it but it all went to this state after having changed the port number. It happens as well on DSTAR< I tried it on REF001E.


I am planning on wiping it all and redo everything, just want to know what I did wrong to avoid the mistake.

73 de TG9AOR




--
-----
Steve, kb7sqi@...

 

Test your using ambeserver using the ambesocktest -- https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/ambe/wiki/AMBEserver-Addendum#Testing-the-AMBEserver  (Edit the port number in the script) -- If it passes that test, the server is running properly on the designated port.

All other functions are within the calling program, eg BlueDV or Buster or ...


On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 4:16 PM, Steven Blackford <kb7sqi@...> wrote:
Joe,
  I'm guessing you're running this with a ThumbDV.  I'd stop the ambe service, unplug the ThumbDV, plug it back in, and re-start the ambe service.  I've noticed the issue w/ the ThumbDV before.  I normally run my AMBE service with a PIDV.  If I have it setup on a PI, I've had to power off the PI, & power it back up.  I never have that issue on my ODroid C1 though with the PIDV on it.   Hope things are going well!  It's been a while & I've missed you a few times on TG 3137.  Hope to catch up with you soon!  73 de K4SQI!

Steve, K4SQI

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 2:13 PM, TG9AOR via Groups.Io <agroaviation=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello to all. I added the CompassLinux repository(alder main) to my pi, installed ambeserver and it worked as expected when accesed from wherever, very nice to operate like this. I also have on this pi a DVMega and a DVAP so the Mega runs C4FM Mode and the DVAP DSTAR. I was helping out another Operator set up his BlueDV for AMBE operation, using his ThumbDV locally on his machine. Since I sent him a picture of my AMBE settings, I wanted to change my port after the fact and so I did, and restarted  the service afterwards, also updated the firewall rules to allow the connections on my new designated port. But after doing this my system does not decode at all. I connect to the server, and if I send a tx on DMR to the Parot(9990  P) as soon as it comes back the status on the bottom changes from Connected to AMBEserver to Reconnecting to AMBEserver. If I run sudo systems ambeserver@... it says running and it says it is listening. I do not know if ambeserver generates a log, for analysis.

I have tried to apt-get autoremove and install it but it all went to this state after having changed the port number. It happens as well on DSTAR< I tried it on REF001E.


I am planning on wiping it all and redo everything, just want to know what I did wrong to avoid the mistake.

73 de TG9AOR




--
-----
Steve, kb7sqi@...




--


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   

TG9AOR
 

OK Steve, I will do this. I will start over because I have installed and auto removed the ambeserver a couple of times now, and so in order to go on a clean sheet I will reinstall, and will keep this in my notes. I was in LA while this happened and my setup back home haha. But I certainly appreciate the tip.

Hope to talk to you soon!

73 de TG9AOR

TG9AOR
 

Thank you John, will do. BTW is the Raspberry Pi3 a good hardware solution for running ambed? Y plan to use two transcoding channels with ThumbDVs.


Thank you and 73

TG9AOR

 

The Pi3 should work fine. 

On Sep 29, 2017 07:56, "TG9AOR via Groups.Io" <agroaviation=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thank you John, will do. BTW is the Raspberry Pi3 a good hardware solution for running ambed? Y plan to use two transcoding channels with ThumbDVs.


Thank you and 73

TG9AOR

TG9AOR
 

Thanks!

TG9AOR
 

I reinstalled everything, but I am at the same spot. I even reconnected the ThumbDV after stopping the ambeserver. Output of python ambesocketest.py below
pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads/NWDigitalRadio $ python ambesocketest.py
^CTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "ambesocketest.py", line 23, in <module>
    d = s.recvfrom(1024)
KeyboardInterrupt
pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads/NWDigitalRadio $ sudo systemctl status ambeserver@...
ambeserver@... - DV3000 Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ambeserver@.service; enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2017-09-29 22:54:45 UTC; 5min ago
  Process: 2891 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/AMBEserver -p ${UDP_PORT} -i /dev/%i $AMBESERVER_FLAGS (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
  Process: 2888 ExecStartPre=/bin/chmod 0660 /dev/%i (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 2885 ExecStartPre=/bin/chgrp dialout /dev/%i (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 2891 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Sep 29 22:54:08 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Starting DV3000 Daemon...
Sep 29 22:54:08 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started DV3000 Daemon.
Sep 29 22:54:08 raspberrypi AMBEserver[2891]: AMBEserver: Starting...
Sep 29 22:54:08 raspberrypi AMBEserver[2891]: AMBEserver: Opened serial port /dev/ttyUSB1 at 460800 bps.
Sep 29 22:54:45 raspberrypi AMBEserver[2891]: AMBEserver: Couldn't find start byte in serial data
Sep 29 22:54:45 raspberrypi AMBEserver[2891]: AMBEserver: error receiving response to reset
Sep 29 22:54:45 raspberrypi AMBEserver[2891]: AMBEserver: Could not initialize the DV3K!
Sep 29 22:54:45 raspberrypi systemd[1]: ambeserver@...: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Sep 29 22:54:45 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Unit ambeserver@... entered failed state.
Sep 29 22:54:45 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Triggering OnFailure= dependencies of ambeserver@....
pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads/NWDigitalRadio $ sudo systemctl restart ambeserver@...
pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads/NWDigitalRadio $ sudo systemctl status ambeserver@...
ambeserver@... - DV3000 Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ambeserver@.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Fri 2017-09-29 23:00:47 UTC; 1s ago
  Process: 2972 ExecStartPre=/bin/chmod 0660 /dev/%i (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 2969 ExecStartPre=/bin/chgrp dialout /dev/%i (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 2975 (AMBEserver)
   CGroup: /system.slice/system-ambeserver.slice/ambeserver@...
           └─2975 /usr/sbin/AMBEserver -p 18317 -i /dev/ttyUSB1 -s 460800
Sep 29 23:00:47 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started DV3000 Daemon.
Sep 29 23:00:47 raspberrypi AMBEserver[2975]: AMBEserver: Starting...
Sep 29 23:00:47 raspberrypi AMBEserver[2975]: AMBEserver: Opened serial port /dev/ttyUSB1 at 460800 bps.
pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads/NWDigitalRadio $ sudo systemctl stop ambeserver@...<---------Here I unplugged and reinserted ThumDV
pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads/NWDigitalRadio $ sudo systemctl restart ambeserver@...
pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads/NWDigitalRadio $ sudo systemctl status ambeserver@...
● ambeserver@... - DV3000 Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ambeserver@.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Fri 2017-09-29 23:03:56 UTC; 5min ago
  Process: 3048 ExecStartPre=/bin/chmod 0660 /dev/%i (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 3045 ExecStartPre=/bin/chgrp dialout /dev/%i (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 3051 (AMBEserver)
   CGroup: /system.slice/system-ambeserver.slice/ambeserver@...
           └─3051 /usr/sbin/AMBEserver -p 18317 -i /dev/ttyUSB1 -s 460800
Sep 29 23:03:56 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started DV3000 Daemon.
Sep 29 23:03:56 raspberrypi AMBEserver[3051]: AMBEserver: Starting...
Sep 29 23:03:56 raspberrypi AMBEserver[3051]: AMBEserver: Opened serial port /dev/ttyUSB1 at 460800 bps.
Sep 29 23:03:56 raspberrypi AMBEserver[3051]: AMBEserver: Initialized AMBE3000R version V120.E100.XXXX.C106.G514.R009.B0010411.C0020208.
Sep 29 23:03:56 raspberrypi AMBEserver[3051]: AMBEserver: Listening for connections on UDP port 18317.


However, the BlueDV says reconnecting once I transmit an echo transmission, I guess when he tries to start decoding.


TG9AOR

TG9AOR
 

After I ran the top command, I noticed that opendv was running ambeserver, So I did a check on USB1:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ls -l /dev/ttyUSB1
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 1 Sep 29 23:30 /dev/ttyUSB1

So then I went ahead and ran sudo usermod -a -G dialout opendv

and after that the test came OK:
pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads/NWDigitalRadio $ python ambesocketest.py
Server reply : a
                0AMBE3000R
Server reply : a
                0AMBE3000R
Server reply : a
                0AMBE3000R
^CTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "ambesocketest.py", line 23, in <module>
    d = s.recvfrom(1024)
KeyboardInterrupt
pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads/NWDigitalRadio $ sudo systemctl status ambeserver@...
● ambeserver@... - DV3000 Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ambeserver@.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Fri 2017-09-29 23:37:14 UTC; 7min ago
  Process: 3420 ExecStartPre=/bin/chmod 0660 /dev/%i (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 3417 ExecStartPre=/bin/chgrp dialout /dev/%i (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 3423 (AMBEserver)
   CGroup: /system.slice/system-ambeserver.slice/ambeserver@...
           └─3423 /usr/sbin/AMBEserver -p 18317 -i /dev/ttyUSB1 -s 460800
Sep 29 23:37:14 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started DV3000 Daemon.
Sep 29 23:37:14 raspberrypi AMBEserver[3423]: AMBEserver: Starting...
Sep 29 23:37:14 raspberrypi AMBEserver[3423]: AMBEserver: Opened serial port /dev/ttyUSB1 at 460800 bps.
Sep 29 23:37:14 raspberrypi AMBEserver[3423]: AMBEserver: Initialized AMBE3000R version V120.E100.XXXX.C106.G514.R009.B0010411.C0020208.
Sep 29 23:37:14 raspberrypi AMBEserver[3423]: AMBEserver: Listening for connections on UDP port 18317.
It runs fine, however the BlueDV will not work on decode. But like you sad, John, if the server works then the problem lies somewhere else.

73 de TG9AOR