blocked ip address

William Shepherd

Just recently I haven't been able to link to ref001c nor its dashboard from my shack computer.  All other links, dashborads and modes work just fine.  In researching this problem and speaking with a few dstar users, I believe my ip address has been blocked.  It seems they will block you if you link with more than one device or something.  Maybe I did that.  I don't know.  But it has been suggested to contact the administrator of ref001c to clear the block.  Does anyone one know how to contact the administrator?

Thanks,
William KJ4ZEO

kk4lzx <Kk4lzx@...>

I’m having the same problem from my ThumbDV.

JohnA

On Jul 18, 2020, at 08:02, William Shepherd via groups.io <washephe@...> wrote:

Just recently I haven't been able to link to ref001c nor its dashboard from my shack computer.  All other links, dashborads and modes work just fine.  In researching this problem and speaking with a few dstar users, I believe my ip address has been blocked.  It seems they will block you if you link with more than one device or something.  Maybe I did that.  I don't know.  But it has been suggested to contact the administrator of ref001c to clear the block.  Does anyone one know how to contact the administrator?

Thanks,
William KJ4ZEO

Be aware, this has nothing to do with your ThumbDV™.

The ThumbDV™ simply converts audio (PCM) to AMBE and AMBE to audio (PCM) via a USB based serial port, all connectivity to reflectors, repeaters, etc. is a function of the program that is using the ThumbDV™ and/or the reflector, repeater, etc. to which that program is communicating.

Please address concerns with the reflector operator or software developer for the reflector.  (Most REF reflectors run DPLUS by AA4RC).

On Jul 18, 2020, at 08:02, William Shepherd via groups.io <washephe=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Just recently I haven't been able to link to ref001c nor its dashboard from my shack computer.  All other links, dashborads and modes work just fine.  In researching this problem and speaking with a few dstar users, I believe my ip address has been blocked.  It seems they will block you if you link with more than one device or something.  Maybe I did that.  I don't know.  But it has been suggested to contact the administrator of ref001c to clear the block.  Does anyone one know how to contact the administrator?

Thanks,
William KJ4ZEO

Lou Fisher

Reflector one has been doing that for a while now  lot of people with same problem.   Have heard 30 might start doing it too

On Jul 18, 2020, at 12:37 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

[...]

Charles Wiant

I believe i read a while back that ref 001c had started blocking hotspots that stay connected for long periods of time. Because it was causing an over load on the system.

On Jul 18, 2020, at 1:52 PM, Lou Fisher <bhu1954@...> wrote:

[...]

I know that's why my question was how to get in touch with the ref001c administrator as I believe my ip address is blocked.

Robert Copelan

Typical mentality of people who are closed and don't communicate with their customers.   Totally within their right to run their reflector system as they would like.  It  would be better if the software were improved so that it would disconnect those long connecting folks after some time of inactivity that is clearly published instead of blocking.    Repeaters have had timeouts since at least the 1970s so not a new concept.     Guess the DPlus roadmap is full up with features in progress.    If someone knows where to add feature suggestions I'll be glad to put this one in.
73,
Robert, WB4DHC

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 2:52 PM Lou Fisher <bhu1954@...> wrote:
[...]

Jack Spitznagel

Whoa…

The issues are under study and there should be a communication coming out about it.

  1. People were parking multiple hotspots on REF001 and REF 030. This was causing it to be impossible for others to log in. The huge level of traffic caused the reflector software to become unstable (they were essentially being subjected to an inadvertent denial of service attack) The owners have implemented a “1 connection only” policy, where any attempts to connect additional hotspots using the callsign will be rejected.
  2. Apparently some of the hotspots have software that does not “back off” after being told there was already one connection from that callsign active. This continued connection attempt from hundreds of users makes the reflector unstable. As a result, callsign that persist in repeated multiple connection attempts have been temporarily banned until the hotspot software issue is addressed by the makers/authors of the software.

So if you find that you have been blocked from any connections to those two reflectors, then re-read the two problems above and make sure you have addressed the issues 2 mentioned at your end.

There should be a more official description of the problems with more information about how to solve them on FB and other user groups (including on Groups.io) very soon.

Please don’t ask me for details. I do not know any more than this. What I do know is there is NO NEED to connect multiple hotspots to the two most often used reflectors in the world.

To hear what your audio sounds like, please use a seldom used reflector, connect to REF### E, almost all reflectors and hotspots use module E as an echo device that will record your audio and play it back.

If you absolutely must to experiment with 2 hotspots for some reason, make sure they are set on different frequencies first, use a seldom used reflector (please ask permission!) and disconnect both hotspots from the reflector immediately after you have completed your test.

Thanks!

Jack Spitznagel – KD4IZ

Trustee for NR3DT

Museum Ship USCGC W-37 Amateur Radio Group

(null) (null)

It’s about time this was done, currently RefO01 remote users 32 gateways connected ref030 has 716 remote and 49 gateways. QSO’s are few. I think there’s a Sunday net on 001c and 030c is just free entertainment.

On Jul 19, 2020, at 2:06 PM, Jack Spitznagel <kd4iz@...> wrote:

[...]

mfle2001

They may not know who their "customers" are as they likely just know an IP address is consuming bandwidth and want to avoid their system grinding to a halt. I suspect with connected hotspots all traffic on the reflector is relayed to them and no way to know if it is actually being listened to.

Mike
VK2AMF

At 05:25 AM 19/07/2020, you wrote:
Typical mentality of people who are closed and don't communicate with their customers.   Totally within their right to run their reflector system as they would like.  It  would be better if the software were improved so that it would disconnect those long connecting folks after some time of inactivity that is clearly published instead of blocking.    Repeaters have had timeouts since at least the 1970s so not a new concept.     Guess the DPlus roadmap is full up with features in progress.    If someone knows where to add feature suggestions I'll be glad to put this one in.Â
73,
Robert, WB4DHC

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 2:52 PM Lou Fisher <bhu1954@...> wrote:
Reflector one has been doing that for a while now  lot of people with same problem.   Have heard 30 might start doing it too

On Jul 18, 2020, at 12:37 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

Be aware, this has nothing to do with your ThumbDV™.

The ThumbDVâ„¢ simply converts audio (PCM) to AMBE and AMBE to audio (PCM) via a USB based serial port, all connectivity to reflectors, repeaters, etc. is a function of the program that is using the ThumbDV™ and/or the reflector, repeater, etc. to which that program is communicating.

Please address concerns with the reflector operator or software developer for the reflector.  (Most REF reflectors run DPLUS by AA4RC).

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 10:28 AM kk4lzx <Kk4lzx@...> wrote:
I’m having the same problem from my ThumbDV.

JohnA

On Jul 18, 2020, at 08:02, William Shepherd via groups.io <washephe=yahoo.com@groups.io > wrote:

Just recently I haven't been able to link to ref001c nor its dashboard from my shack computer.  All other links, dashborads and modes work just fine.  In researching this problem and speaking with a few dstar users, I believe my ip address has been blocked.  It seems they will block you if you link with more than one device or something.  Maybe I did that.  I don't know.  But it has been suggested to contact the administrator of ref001c to clear the block.  Does anyone one know how to contact the administrator?Â

Thanks,
William KJ4ZEO

Mike Fleetwood
Canberra Australia and Sidcup UK.