BlueDV Linux Request #bluedv #linux

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

David PA7LIM:

I would like to raise your awareness that the now fairly-dated version of BlueDV for Linux is included with HamPi, the ham radio software distribution for Raspberry Pi users. There have been almost 50,000 downloads of HamPi to date. I have received a number of requests from people over the time HamPi has been in distribution to fix defects in BlueDV for Linux. If you account for the fact that for every one person who reports an issue, that there are roughly 19 other people who haven't bothered, then the ~10 people who have brought this up to me represent about 200 people. It is not an insignificant number of people wanting to run BlueDV for Linux on HamPi.

I do know you actively develop the Windows version of BlueDV, because I use that version to run the Georgia Statewide DMR Net (US State) on Wednesday nights, and I am hoping you might at least focus some effort on your Linux version on bringing it up to date with the latest changes.

Here's a link to the search term "BlueDV" in the HamPi group:
https://groups.io/g/Ham-Pi/search?p=recentpostdate%2Fsticky%2C%2C%2C20%2C2%2C0%2C0&q=BlueDV

Would you be as so gracious to kindly focus your efforts on updating the now three and a half year old Linux version of BlueDV to bring it up to par with the Windows version? Please?

Thank you for your consideration.

--
- Dave, W3DJS
-- Lifetime Member of ARRL & GARS and curator of HamPi, the ham radio software distribution for the Raspberry Pi --

Gwen Patton

How rude.

Hello Dave,

Thanks for adding BlueDV to HamPi!

What BlueDV version is used on HamPi?

The latest version of BlueDV is 9609. This version runs on Windows and Linux.
The only difference is that you can not use an AMBE3000 with the Linux version. The reason for this is the sounddriver that can not be emulated in Linux( MONO ).

To use the latest BlueDV version on Linux:
  • Install the latest BlueDV version on Windows 10.
  • Copy all files located in C:\Program Files (x86)\BlueDV\BlueDVWindows to your Linux folder.
  • Copy all files located in the Documents\BlueDV to the same Linux folder.

Greets,
[...]

Balasubramanian Iyer

David
Also we are not able to save the profile settings, i have given write permission also. But still not able to save.

Everytime we close and start all data is lost

73

On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 at 2:34 PM, David PA7LIM <info@...> wrote:
[...]

EI3IBB Mark

Hi Dave,

May I ask are you working on development of the Android version or IOS ? it would be really amazing to have a Windows style version for Android and IOS.

Android version can't run in background or monitor all 3 digi modes like windows, the windows version is amazing! :-)

I can't use my Globe Trotter with IOS that would be amazing. Globetrotter is also amazing!

I'd pay a fee for IOS and Android versions no problem or even Windows so too would many People because blue dv is really excellent and with my bose headset and windows version the TX sound quality is really good compared to my Anytone 878 and Openspot 3, blue DV TX audio quality is really good once the TX audio levels are set up properly.

Regards

Mark

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 10:04 AM David PA7LIM <info@...> wrote:
[...]

73's

Mark
EI3IBB

EI3IBB Mark

So I did this,

To use the latest BlueDV version on Linux:
  • Install the latest BlueDV version on Windows 10.
  • Copy all files located in C:\Program Files (x86)\BlueDV\BlueDVWindows to your Linux folder.
  • Copy all files located in the Documents\BlueDV to the same Linux folder.

How do I get it to run in Linux ?

Hi,

  • Make sure you have write permissions on the INI file. ( test it with full permissions ( chmod 777 )
  • Make sure you have write permissions on the directory where the INI file is located.
  • Make sure every field in the setup has a value. E.g. YSF server must have a selected server.

Greets and 73,

    David PA7LIM

[...]

Type

mono BlueDV.exe

see: https://www.pa7lim.nl/bluedv-linux/

Greets and 73,

    David PA7LIM

To use the latest BlueDV version on Linux:

  • Install the latest BlueDV version on Windows 10.
  • Copy all files located in C:\Program Files (x86)\BlueDV\BlueDVWindows to your Linux folder.
  • Copy all files located in the Documents\BlueDV to the same Linux folder.

How do I get it to run in Linux ?

EI3IBB Mark

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply,

I got so far as to get it installed but buggy.

It imported my settings from windows without having to input all the data again.

It connects to the Globetrotter and I can select D-Star, not tried fusion and DMR when I hit PTT it gives me dll error.

I can't select the sound card and sometimes when I click on something it crashes with winmm.dll error, see below.

/usr/local/bluedv# mono BlueDV.exe
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
libpng warning: iCCP: cHRM chunk does not match sRGB
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
libpng warning: iCCP: cHRM chunk does not match sRGB
System.DllNotFoundException: winmm.dll assembly:<unknown assembly> type:<unknown type> member:(null)
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) NAudio.Wave.WaveInterop.waveOutGetNumDevs()
  at NAudio.Wave.WaveOut.get_DeviceCount () [0x00000] in <554b80148c284b99953f098db496ebd4>:0
  at BlueDV.soundcard.listPlayDevices () [0x00000] in <52d530c3007f4ac8aac38af99ba2ae9b>:0
  at BlueDV.Form1.aMBEToolStripMenuItem_Click (System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e) [0x00010] in <52d530c3007f4ac8aac38af99ba2ae9b>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.OnClick (System.EventArgs e) [0x0001c] in <a3daa9b84fd241a497578a25f68bc3c7>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick (System.EventArgs e) [0x00017] in <a3daa9b84fd241a497578a25f68bc3c7>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.HandleClick (System.Int32 mouse_clicks, System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in <a3daa9b84fd241a497578a25f68bc3c7>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent (System.EventArgs e, System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItemEventType met) [0x00061] in <a3daa9b84fd241a497578a25f68bc3c7>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(System.EventArgs,System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItemEventType)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp (System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs mea) [0x00057] in <a3daa9b84fd241a497578a25f68bc3c7>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmLButtonUp (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x0007e] in <a3daa9b84fd241a497578a25f68bc3c7>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x0016f] in <a3daa9b84fd241a497578a25f68bc3c7>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <a3daa9b84fd241a497578a25f68bc3c7>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <a3daa9b84fd241a497578a25f68bc3c7>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.MenuStrip.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <a3daa9b84fd241a497578a25f68bc3c7>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlWindowTarget.OnMessage (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000] in <a3daa9b84fd241a497578a25f68bc3c7>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x0000b] in <a3daa9b84fd241a497578a25f68bc3c7>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.WndProc (System.IntPtr hWnd, System.Windows.Forms.Msg msg, System.IntPtr wParam, System.IntPtr lParam) [0x0008e] in <a3daa9b84fd241a497578a25f68bc3c7>:0

Hi,

BlueDV is not going to work with an ambe3000 like globetrotter,thumbdv or dvstick30 under linux.
The reason for this is the sound driver that is not emulated correctly by mono. I can not change this.

David PA7LIM

On 28 Sep 2021, at 23:35, EI3IBB Mark via groups.io <markobyrnes@...> wrote:

[...]

I deal with this by not running BlueDV on Linux. I run AMBEServer on Linux, with my ThumbDV on a powered hub connected to the Raspberry Pi running AMBEServer. With a dynamic DNS link and some port forwarding, I can connect to my ThumbDV from my Windows machines throughout the house, or with my Android phone anywhere I travel. I don't find the DV3000 sound driver bug to be a problem. If I HAD to run BlueDV on Linux, I wouldn't use a DV3000 device with it, that's all.

Just a question for David...will BlueDV for Android run on a Chromebook that will run Android apps? If so, does a DV3000-based device work on the Chromebook with it? I've got a few Chromebooks lying about, one of which has GalliumOS Linux replacing ChromeOS, so I wouldn't expect that one to work. But does ChromeOS suffer from this driver bug?

On 28 Sep 2021, at 23:35, EI3IBB Mark via groups.io <markobyrnes=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Ok I understand now, thanks anyway for your help.

Hey, just imagine blueDV in the car with Apple Car Play and Android Auto ? :-)

EI3IBB Mark

Hi Gwen,

The Android version on Blue DV works perfectly fine with my DVstick 30 and best of all I can multitask, on my android tablet I can't do anything other than have blue DV on which is a real shame but with my Acer Chromebook I can browse the web and do what I want while Blue DV is running. Obviously the Android version isn't nearly as good as the Windows version which is really fantastic to be able to monitor all 3 digi modes and be able to select them so easily if one suddenly becomes active while on another.

I use Globetrotter, it's amazing.