From: ambe@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <ambe@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> on behalf of Justin Mann via groups.io <w9fyi@...>
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 4:33:34 PM
To: ambe@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <ambe@nw-digital-radio.groups.io>
Subject: [ambe] bringing some transcoding to my xlx reflector?

Hi all,

I’m totally new with this, so I hope you will forgive my lack of knowledge, and/or what is needed with regards to my goals, and objectives in this post.
I’ve just recently setup an xlx reflector:
with the goal of bringing, d-star, DMR, and fusion to the local Texas Ih-35 system. Currently the Texas i35 system is on FCS, reflector 3, room 30, and I believe that it has a wires-x room 40096.  I’ve gone ahead, and created an x-reflector which is now showing up as reflector 94, and it’s ip address is:
96.126.124.4.
As I understand things, I can't cross-mode out of the box with an xlx reflector, thus I need some kind of Ambe chip to do this?  I currently use D-star, and I have a number of pi-star enabled hotspots, as well as an openspot 3.  What kind of transcoding will an xlx reflector do natively, and where to the Ambecoder chips come in to play?  Also, I have the reflector sitting on a box at linode.com in Dallas, is all of this still doable, even though the reflector is in a remote location?  I know D-star, Dmr, and fusion, but I’ve not been familiar with how to bring everything together, and admittedly I’ having to teach myself Linux.  To setup the xlx reflector, I followed the tutorial at
Anything y’all can do to help I’d appreciate,
Thanks
Justin-ai5os.

Justin Mann

So the reflectors have a total of 25 modules.  That means I’d need 52 of them?  assuming each module a, b, c, is a channel?

On Jul 21, 2020, at 11:08 AM, Ernie Gm7kbk <erniepratt@...> wrote:

You need 2 dongles per channel. Ambe software is in the xlx download.

[...]

Ryan Matthew Headley

You would only need 52 chips if you anticipated all 26 modules being used simultaneously.  That would likely never happen.

Three is four pairs is typically quite sufficient.  If you only want to transcode one module, you can set xlxd that way.

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020, 12:26 Justin Mann via groups.io, <w9fyi=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

kb8zgl

A pair of dongles can be used on the channel that needs the transcoding, so you need a pair for however many channels you have that do transcoding.

There are some cards out there (not sure about active production) that have 8 AMBE chips on them for example, so single USB will do 4 channels of transcoding.  That is what I do on xLX004, we have about 6 channels, but only 2-3 active at a time.

Mike

Kb8zgl

From: "ambe@nw-digital-radio.groups.io" <ambe@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> on behalf of "Justin Mann via groups.io" <w9fyi@...>
Date: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 12:26 PM