How To install AMBESERVER on Raspbian or Debian.

Node750Tt <node750tt@...>

Edited

This will put AMBESERVER on your Raspberry Pi running Raspbian or Debian box running Stretch or Jesse. THIS IS NOT FOR COMPASS LINUX.

I am running this with ThumbDV in my Debian Box and also with my DVstick30 in my Raspberry Pi.

I am able to use my Android Phone running BlueDV Ambe from the Play store, or my Laptop with BlueDV and connect to my machines from any part of the planet.

My ThumbDV and DVstick30 are located over 10,000Km apart, and I can work D-Star or DMR stations. on my Android phone sitting at Starbucks, or an Airport, or on an Aircraft with WiFi.

Enough said let's start. I love Kali Linux, so will do all as root.

ssh into your machine, at the prompt run

sudo bash hit the enter key, you will now be root user.
nano /etc/ssh/sshd.config
scroll to the line that says
PORT 22 change 22 to any number you like.
{I WARN YOU TO REMEMBER THIS NUMBER YOU ENTERED}
Next scroll a little bit more to where you see.
# Authentication
# PermitRootLogin  blah blah.
On that line remove the hash tag # and blah blah, then put the word yes
Ctrl + X and then Y on your keyboard.
at the prompt run:
passwd
enter any password you want, you will see nothing as you typed in the password, hit enter, type the same password again enter
now you have full root access into your machine.
type reboot.

After the machine is rebooted ssh back in with your new ssh port number and
login as root with the root password you created.

Now run:
apt-get update
apt-get install git curl wget
after these are installed, run:
git clone git://github.com/marrold/AMBEServer.git
cd AMBEServer
make
make install
At this point  Ambeserver is installed on your machine.

To be able to find your machine online, so before we start you will need to setup an account at one of these example:
dyndns.org or noip.com, the list is endless, so your choice. After you make the account, create a hostname for your Raspberry Pi
or Debian box on this website.

Next back to your machine run:
apt-get install ddclient
During the installation you will be asked to enter your login name and password to your dns host account, you setup above, and
choose what name you want to assign this machine from your account, once done, accept all the default prompts during the installation.
after you returned at the prompt run:
nano /etc/ddclient.conf
after the last line of text type in this:
Daemon=300
SSL=yes
Next on your keyboard hit Ctrl + X key together then Y key, you will be back at the prompt.

Home Router setup:
That your Pi or Debian box is connected too.
If your Machines are connected to the second or third router in your house,
it will be a bit tricky to get to your machine, not impossible, but very involved, so best put these machines on your first Router after
your ISP Fibe optic or cable box or directly on your ISP router. Basically you want your machines getting an IP from the first router into your home.

Login into this router and set your Raspberry Pi or Debian box to get a fix IP, base on their Mac address. This is done in order for the router to always assigned the same IP whenever it reboots to your machine.
Now find the port forwarding section in your router and open
the ssh port number you assigned above using TCP  to your machine IP address; also port 2460 use UDP.
save and apply these changes into your router.

Now to get the AMBEserver to start automatically anytime your machine reboot do the following:
Save the script I attached somewhere on your desktop.
The easiest way:
Download and install WinSCP
Now with WinSCP login your Machine with the assign IP your set in the router and ssh port as root & root password. you assigned above.
on the right pane navigate to this directory.
lib/systemd/system
from the left pane navigate where you save my script and dragged it in that system directory.
now close WinSCP.

back at the machine run
cd /etc/lib/systemd/system
chmod 644 ambeserver@...
systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl enable ambeserver@...
Now put your ThumbDV or DVstick30 into your Machine.
run
reboot.

When your machine is back up, ssh back in and run
systemctl status ambeserver@...
You want to see ACTIVE in GREEN. Means your server is running and you are set to use your ThumbDV or DVstick30 with BlueDV Ambe on android or BlueDV on you PC.

In the setup in BlueDV Ambe or BlueDV on PC or MAC if home use the Ip address of your machine baudrate 460800 and port 2460, when out of the home or on data on your phone use the hostname you assigned your machine at dyndns or noip.com.

I hope this helps all to get going please post your comments, and let me know if you get it going.

ps:
The ambeserver @ ttyUSB0.service is not showing properly in the post it is all one no space as I type here on this line; but look at the name of my script that is how it should be written.

See updated note on the wiki

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018, 01:39 Node750Tt <node750tt@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

Nomis Bayan Jr.

HI John,
Can I run this on a debian 9.X on a desktop?

AMBEserver is pretty distribution agnostic.  Just give it a try.  Build from source.  Debian 9 and Raspbian Buster are pretty much the same.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 8:57 AM Nomis Bayan Jr. <nolyn78@...> wrote:
HI John,
Can I run this on a debian 9.X on a desktop?

Derek William Haden

Thanks for a great tutorial.

However I do have a question.

In the section about using WinSCP it says to copy the ambeserver@... file to

lib/systemd/system

However in the following section regarding setting the permissions for the file it points to

/etc/lib/systemd/system

My Rpi 3 with Buster does not have /etc/lib/systemd/system

So where Should the file go?

/etc/systemd/system

Is the correct location for user created/installed service files.

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020, 10:07 Derek William Haden <facebook@...> wrote:

Thanks for a great tutorial.

However I do have a question.

In the section about using WinSCP it says to copy the ambeserver@... file to

lib/systemd/system

However in the following section regarding setting the permissions for the file it points to

/etc/lib/systemd/system

My Rpi 3 with Buster does not have /etc/lib/systemd/system

So where Should the file go?

Derek William Haden

Thank you John

That was my best guess, but just wanted to be sure.

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/ambeserver-install/blob/master/README.md (this is a new install procedure, it has been tested - send feedback if you try it.)

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020, 01:04 Derek William Haden <facebook@...> wrote:
Thank you John

That was my best guess, but just wanted to be sure.

Ken Kayser

Absolutely brilliant.  Couldn't be easier.

Derek William Haden

Looking at the instructions, it reads that it is for ThumbDV.

I am using the DVmega version, I assume it will also work?

I also have another question, not sure if this is the place for it but here goes anyway.

The Ambeserver uses port 2460, however when running DVswitch and the Ambeserver together DVswitch uses 2471?
Just curious as to why?

Derek,

This should work with compatible AMBE devices from other manufacturers.  We do not provide technical support for other manufacturers, if you run into difficulties, contact the manufacturer.

You will need to stop and disable  ambeserver@ThumbDV (using systemctl)
You will need to see what 'serial' port your device enumerates to, such as /dev/ttyUSB0
You will need to look at the conf files in /etc/opendv and see if one matches your device, e.g. port and speed, with a name matching your device's /dev filename.
You can then start/stop/status/enable/disable using the systemctl command.
The selection of the port number is flexible in the conf file for a variety of reasons, just use what your client is using.

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 2:20 AM Derek William Haden <facebook@...> wrote:

Looking at the instructions, it reads that it is for ThumbDV.

I am using the DVmega version, I assume it will also work?

I also have another question, not sure if this is the place for it but here goes anyway.

The Ambeserver uses port 2460, however when running DVswitch and the Ambeserver together DVswitch uses 2471?
Just curious as to why?

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020, 08:55 John Anderson via groups.io <mi0aaz=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
AMBEserver[366]: AMBEserver: Couldn't find start byte in serial data

Is what i get happening when i use the instructions above and checking the status of my Combitronics DV30 stick on a VM running Debian with the dongle plugged in at the server itself, how can i sort this ?

73 Mi0AAZ.