Topics

Log for BlueDV for Windows? #bluedv

James Moen

I am helping a ham who is using a ThumbDV with BlueDV for Windows.  It is generally working using DStar linking to both REF and XRF reflectors.  But one reflector -- REF045 -- does not allow his callsign to link and talk over the reflector.  Other callsigns, such as mine, work fine, but his callsign is only allowed to listen, not talk.

Normally this problem is caused by a registration problem, but I have checked and his callsign is registered properly with both a space and an A terminal.  His BlueDV Setup looks perfect and he can successfully use other REF reflectors, just not REF045.

I figure either the reflector admin is blocking his callsign, or more likely, that reflector is not getting the latest registration database updates.  When using other software, my next step would be to turn on logging and see what return code is given when he attempts to link to REF045C.  Does anyone know if BlueDV for Windows supports logging, how to turn it on and where the log file is written?

Alec-N1AJW

just contact the Developer David Pa7LIM.  if you google his call.  you will see all his contact info.  He will be able to figure out what's wrong at least.   

Alec
N1AJW

Patrick Perdue

If there is a proper log for BlueDV, I can't find it.

I was trying to diagnose a similar situation with my own callsign the other day, which I suspect was never actually registered with DSTAR. I went through every option and directory I could find, but was never able to locate a log other than QSO.

On 7/9/2019 6:23 PM, James Moen wrote:

I am helping a ham who is using a ThumbDV with BlueDV for Windows.  It is generally working using DStar linking to both REF and XRF reflectors.  But one reflector -- REF045 -- does not allow his callsign to link and talk over the reflector.  Other callsigns, such as mine, work fine, but his callsign is only allowed to listen, not talk.

Normally this problem is caused by a registration problem, but I have checked and his callsign is registered properly with both a space and an A terminal.  His BlueDV Setup looks perfect and he can successfully use other REF reflectors, just not REF045.

I figure either the reflector admin is blocking his callsign, or more likely, that reflector is not getting the latest registration database updates.  When using other software, my next step would be to turn on logging and see what return code is given when he attempts to link to REF045C.  Does anyone know if BlueDV for Windows supports logging, how to turn it on and where the log file is written?

Yes. David is the right person for support.

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 4:20 PM Alec-N1AJW <alec.wasserman@...> wrote:
just contact the Developer David Pa7LIM.  if you google his call.  you will see all his contact info.  He will be able to figure out what's wrong at least.   

Alec
N1AJW

--
John D. Hays
Kingston, WA
K7VE

Jack Spitznagel

This sort of “lockout” was happening with several US Trust Reflectors that had not updated their gateway software about a month ago or so. Look to see what version they are running?

Jack – KD4IZ

From: ambe@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <ambe@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Moen
Sent: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 18:23
To: ambe@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: [ambe] Log for BlueDV for Windows? #bluedv

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC
KD4IZ

James Moen

Jack - Bingo.  REF045 is running a very old version of DPlus reflector software -- DREFD version 1.31.  The ham I an helping had registered his callsign on the G3 gateway that I administer.  My guess is that old version of reflector software is not able to authenticate callsigns registered on G3 gateways.  If we had BlueDV-Windows log, we would probably see that when it tries to link this callsign to this old reflector, their lookup fails and a return code of "OKRO" meaning Read Only - you can listen but not talk over that reflector.  What we want is a return code of OKRW.

The correct fix is to convince the REF045 Admins to update their reflector software to the latest version, but failing that, the user I'm helping can degregister at my gateway and register on a G2 gateway.  

There is nothing wrong with BlueDV for Windows nor with the user's setup and configuration.  The problem is entirely with the old version of reflector software.

Thanks very, very much for getting me headed in the right direction.

Jim - K6JM