Topics

Newbie : Access repeaters rather than reflectors using BlueDV ?

Andrew O'Brien

Using WinDV I am able to access a list of actual Dstar repeaters, not just Reflectors.  I just installed BlueDV, very nice.  Can BlueDV also access a list repeaters ?  I don't see anything obvious...

Andy K3UK

Andrew O'Brien

I found a few USA repeaters under XRF but not the larger list i can access using WinDV and the Free*star callsign list.
Andy K3UK

If I remember correctly there is an update list in the menu system.

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018, 12:02 Andrew O'Brien <andrewobrie@...> wrote:
I found a few USA repeaters under XRF but not the larger list i can access using WinDV and the Free*star callsign list.
Andy K3UK

J G Shaw

In the UPDATE menu, select “Update DSTAR Hosts”

The Update and Ambe menus cannot be selected I the “Serial” button is  “on”

Also, I suspect you may do some other setup tasks.   Thus,  I suggest you watch this short Youtube video:
“How to Setup BlueDV with a ThumbDV or DV MEGA AMBE3000 dongle”

https://youtu.be/291k3VxJCv0

WA6PX

Using WinDV I am able to access a list of actual Dstar repeaters, not just Reflectors.  I just installed BlueDV, very nice.  Can BlueDV also access a list repeaters ?  I don't see anything obvious...

Andy K3UK

Andrew O'Brien

I did update but do not see the same repeaters  that I can use in WindDV . For example , two repeaters KD2MNA and KC3ESS are two local Dstar repeaters that I can access using WinDV but I don’t see in BlueDV.

Andy K3UK.

On Apr 17, 2018, at 5:38 PM, J G Shaw <WA6PX@...> wrote:

In the UPDATE menu, select “Update DSTAR Hosts”

The Update and Ambe menus cannot be selected I the “Serial” button is  “on”

Also, I suspect you may do some other setup tasks.   Thus,  I suggest you watch this short Youtube video:
“How to Setup BlueDV with a ThumbDV or DV MEGA AMBE3000 dongle”

https://youtu.be/291k3VxJCv0

WA6PX

Using WinDV I am able to access a list of actual Dstar repeaters, not just Reflectors.  I just installed BlueDV, very nice.  Can BlueDV also access a list repeaters ?  I don't see anything obvious...

Andy K3UK

Hi Andy,

Give me the host names of the two repeaters. I will add them for you.
Please sent it to : info@...

---

Greets and 73,
    David PA7LIM

On 18-04-2018 00:20, Andrew O'Brien wrote:

[...]

Chui K9CHU

Greetings @PA7LIM,

Does BlueDV pull host information from http://ar-dns.net/ ?
Is this where the update information is pulled from?
It would be great to connect directly to the missing http://ar-dns.net/gateways (repeaters) from the drop down.

Thanks and 73,
-Chui K9CHU

Ted Wrobel W1GRI

Hi Chui,

Please be aware that many gateways (repeaters) have low internet bandwidth. Most repeater managers discourage connections since they may degrade the repeater connection to the point of failure.

73,

Ted W1GRI

Is this where the update information is pulled from?
It would be great to connect directly to the missing http://ar-dns.net/gateways (repeaters) from the drop down.

Thanks and 73,
-Chui K9CHU

Chui K9CHU

Thanks for the reply Ted!

I understand that would be an issue.

Would be great to have the option to type it in manually (unless I'm missing it somewhere).

73,
-Chui

Jack L. Blake Sr (AI4LL)

With the Blue-DV you should just access the reflectors. If you want to access a local repeater I would suggest you do it the old fashioned way with a radio and using RF.
73's/AI4LL

Jack L. Blake

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 4:47 PM <chui.muro@...> wrote:
Thanks for the reply Ted!

I understand that would be an issue.

Would be great to have the option to type it in manually (unless I'm missing it somewhere).

73,
-Chui

There is a use case for remote access to a local repeater.

Local group has a regular net, but does not connect to a reflector.  A  member of that group is remote (vacation, business, ...) and wants to join the network.  BlueDV connected remotely to a 'local' repeater solves that problem.

I do prefer RF to a repeater, but there are legitimate use cases such as above.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 3:11 PM Jack L. Blake Sr (AI4LL) <jblake8061@...> wrote:
With the Blue-DV you should just access the reflectors. If you want to access a local repeater I would suggest you do it the old fashioned way with a radio and using RF.
73's/AI4LL

Jack L. Blake

Jack L. Blake Sr (AI4LL)

John
Your point well taken. Unfortunately not all  repeaters have internet access. The Blue DV is old tech. I do have one myself but having used it much since I got my Nano Spot. I might suggest that local repeater owners look into just adding Echolink to their repeater. This would make it easier for anyone who wants to check into a local net a lot easier. No additional hardware to purchase. Echolink or a IRLP node are good choices. Echolink can be used from your smart phone, laptop or a tablet.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 6:16 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
There is a use case for remote access to a local repeater.

Local group has a regular net, but does not connect to a reflector.  A  member of that group is remote (vacation, business, ...) and wants to join the network.  BlueDV connected remotely to a 'local' repeater solves that problem.

I do prefer RF to a repeater, but there are legitimate use cases such as above.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 3:11 PM Jack L. Blake Sr (AI4LL) <jblake8061@...> wrote:
With the Blue-DV you should just access the reflectors. If you want to access a local repeater I would suggest you do it the old fashioned way with a radio and using RF.
73's/AI4LL

Jack L. Blake

Michael Mandell

Ha! Like me, right now! I am going to "remote in" to our W30I repeater, but asked if someone local could link it to a reflector we have the near-exclusive use of so if there is somebody else out there like me, they can also link.
I don't believe bandwidth is an issue when linking one user to a repeater. This is exactly the same bandwidth callsign routing would use, which is a base function of D-Star.
I intitially was just going to link to the repeater but remembered we have another member in Florida who may want to get on. I'm not sure D-Star will allow multiple people to remotely link...I think it says "already linked" when you try.
KC3BLF

If the repeater isn't D-STAR and isn't connected to the network, it's kind of a moot point.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 4:08 PM Jack L. Blake Sr (AI4LL) <jblake8061@...> wrote:
[...]

Jack,
Blue DV is relatively new software. How much have you used Echolink? Yes, it links FM repeaters over the internet kind of OK. Allstar is a MUCH superior method of doing this if FM linking is what you want to do. Still, FM linking is not what we're doing here. It's like saying why use a ham radio when you can use a phone. Two different technologies.

Andrew O'Brien

One of my major disappointments in Dstar is the focus on reflectors and the lack of support by some sysops and software developers for the repeater linking and call routing capabilities of Dstar .

Andy K3UK.

On Feb 13, 2020, at 8:06 PM, Michael Mandell <mikemandell@...> wrote:

Jack,
Blue DV is relatively new software. How much have you used Echolink? Yes, it links FM repeaters over the internet kind of OK. Allstar is a MUCH superior method of doing this if FM linking is what you want to do. Still, FM linking is not what we're doing here. It's like saying why use a ham radio when you can use a phone. Two different technologies.

Chui K9CHU

Edited

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 03:16 PM, John D Hays - K7VE wrote:
There is a use case for remote access to a local repeater.

Local group has a regular net, but does not connect to a reflector.  A  member of that group is remote (vacation, business, ...) and wants to join the network.  BlueDV connected remotely to a 'local' repeater solves that problem.

I do prefer RF to a repeater, but there are legitimate use cases such as above.
This is exactly the case for me.
We practiced our ARES/RACES net, weekly, on Wednesdays.
This was previously done through a local repeater.
We lost access to that repeater, and have gone to simplex VHF.
We've tried to relay the information, and also have information distributed via Winlink.
This had caused our nets to drop to about a 20% retention rate.
We have installed a D-Star repeater, and a GIG-E internet drop, but as the radios are an investment...most of us do not participate in the nets anymore.

I'm not trying to use the BlueDV as a replacement, but it would be great to continue participating until "the old fashioned way" can come through fruition; for those us us with limited budgets.

73,
-Chui

Jack L. Blake Sr (AI4LL)

Michael,
Maybe my little DV Dongle that called itself Blue DV is not what you are using now. I know when I purchased this little DV Dongle, I was told by several folks that it was old technology and that was early last year. I purchased the little dongle so I could just plug it into my laptop, put on headset and not worry about having a radio. I have been on D-Star for the last 4 year and own the Icom 7100, 5100, 51A special edition and recently the Kenwood D74. I also use C4FM Fusion, and DMR. I stared out using a DV dongle the red one with my 7100 and laptop to get on DStar. After I purchased the Nano Spot which does all three of the most common modes I use it almost 100% of the time. I do have some local repeaters for DMR access, which I use when I want to chat local. So maybe my little Blue DV Dongle is not same was what you folks are talking about. Yes I know Echolink is FM, but it's easy to use. I also have a ILRP node. I was looking at a 220 AllStar node at Frost Fest last Saturday and am considering setting one of those up when money permits. I am always open to new ways to use ham radio. One thing using a phone is not as much fun as using a radio. although in reality a smart cell phone is just a Handie Talkie on 900 mhz talking though a repeater (tower). So basically when you are on a cell phone you are using a two way radio.
73
Jack L. Blake

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 8:45 PM Chui K9CHU <chui.muro@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

Wa4kfz

On Feb 13, 2020, at 11:42 PM, Jack L. Blake Sr (AI4LL) <jblake8061@...> wrote:

[...]

This forum is about the ThimbDV™ and PiDV AMBE  devices.

BlueDV allows you to use these devices with your computer.

There are other groups for hotspots. Including the UDRC and DRAWS™ when paired with a radio.