Topics

No RX audio

Mike Oakley

I have a ThumbDV dongle. After a lot of working with this I finally hot it all set up. I connected to a local server and my TX audio is working fine, but I can not hear anything when people talk. It shows them there and speaking but no audio is coming out of my speakers. I have an Envy 24 sound card and using Windows 10. I know the speakers work as audio comes out on movies, youtube videos, and playing CDs. I just can't get audio through this program. Please help

alpha foxtrotsix

Check to see what you have your audio output set to. You will need to exit serial function and select AMBE. You set your audio input and output here.

Jeff

De AF6BY

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020, 11:12 Mike Oakley <moakley1970@...> wrote:
I have a ThumbDV dongle. After a lot of working with this I finally hot it all set up. I connected to a local server and my TX audio is working fine, but I can not hear anything when people talk. It shows them there and speaking but no audio is coming out of my speakers. I have an Envy 24 sound card and using Windows 10. I know the speakers work as audio comes out on movies, youtube videos, and playing CDs. I just can't get audio through this program. Please help

alpha foxtrotsix

Previous note assuming you are using BlueDV for Windows. What program are you using?

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020, 11:12 Mike Oakley <moakley1970@...> wrote:
I have a ThumbDV dongle. After a lot of working with this I finally hot it all set up. I connected to a local server and my TX audio is working fine, but I can not hear anything when people talk. It shows them there and speaking but no audio is coming out of my speakers. I have an Envy 24 sound card and using Windows 10. I know the speakers work as audio comes out on movies, youtube videos, and playing CDs. I just can't get audio through this program. Please help

Mike Oakley

Yes BlueDV. I have set all of the settings correctly. I only have 1 soundcard and it works beautifully for everything but this. I've watched videos and have had help setting this up so I know it's working except incoming audio. I have installed the latest version of the software and even tried a previous install of a older version to no avail.

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020, 12:00 PM alpha foxtrotsix <alphafoxtrotsix@...> wrote:
Previous note assuming you are using BlueDV for Windows. What program are you using?

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020, 11:12 Mike Oakley <moakley1970@...> wrote:
I have a ThumbDV dongle. After a lot of working with this I finally hot it all set up. I connected to a local server and my TX audio is working fine, but I can not hear anything when people talk. It shows them there and speaking but no audio is coming out of my speakers. I have an Envy 24 sound card and using Windows 10. I know the speakers work as audio comes out on movies, youtube videos, and playing CDs. I just can't get audio through this program. Please help

alpha foxtrotsix

Do you have a headset connected?

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020, 12:43 Mike Oakley <moakley1970@...> wrote:
[...]

Have you run thumbtest.exe (in this group's file section)

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020, 09:43 Mike Oakley <moakley1970@...> wrote:
[...]

No. I run it through the speakers as my PC doesn't do bluetooth

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020, 12:45 PM alpha foxtrotsix <alphafoxtrotsix@...> wrote:
[...]

Not yet. I couldn't find it

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020, 12:47 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
[...]

I would double check where BlueDV is sending the audio output. Also make sure that the gain settings are correct in the application.

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020, 12:49 Mike Oakley <moakley1970@...> wrote:
[...]

OK Just run the ThumbTest program. It sent 3 lines then went away. I have no clue what they said as it closed the command prompt as soon as it was done, but I did not see any errors

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 1:00 PM alpha foxtrotsix <alphafoxtrotsix@...> wrote:
[...]

Run thumbtest.exe inside a cmd window -- e.g. go to run, and put cmd in, then run thumbtest.exe

A little explanation of how this all works may help with your debugging.

ThumbDV™ is an AMBE 3000 chip attached to an FTDI USB to serial chip.  All of the communication into and out of the AMBE chip is serial data, a stream of serial bytes.  If you send it 8kbit encoded audio, it sends back AMBE, if you send it AMBE, it sends back 8kbit encoded audio.

FTDI chip is responsible for sending the serial data back and forth over a pseudo-serial USB port (COMx).

BlueDV and similar programs are responsible for sending and receiving the serial data streams to the ThumbDV over the USB serial port, and control communication to audio input and output to the operating system (Windows in this case), which delivers it to the speakers and receives it from the microphone.

Furthermore, BlueDV can send and receive AMBE over the network to other providers/consumers of AMBE data, such as reflectors, hotspots, and gateways.   Again, BlueDV does the routing to/from the ThumbDV™.

The ThumbDV™ again does none of the work to deliver either audio or AMBE to either the speakers/microphone or network directly.  It only is a serial device attached to a USB com port.

Once you have confirmed that data is going into and coming out of the ThumbDV™ via the ThumbTest.exe, LEDs on the ThumbDV™, and/or other programs, then troubleshooting is in the configuration of your application such as BlueDV, or the operating system such as Windows.

Ensure that network ports are available to the application, and that the FTDI driver is working between the operating system and the ThumbDV™.

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 10:04 AM Mike Oakley <moakley1970@...> wrote:
[...]

Well now I feel stupid. In the setup screen, I had the AMBE3003 clicked. Well I changed it to AMBE3000 and now I have audio. I had to run it in another laptop to find it

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 1:32 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
[...]

Now worries, glad you found it.

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020, 11:57 Mike Oakley <moakley1970@...> wrote:
[...]

No worries. 😊

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020, 12:36 John D Hays - K7VE via Groups.Io <john=hays.org@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

David Dennis

Mike,

I’ve had this same issue before as well.   It’s not just you.   Mine however just seemed to magically go away with the last update from David.   Hard to know what was causing it,  but something was slightly broken and then got fixed.

I’m now on version 1.0.0.9569 and everything seems to be working well.

Regards,

David