Topics

original ThumbDV baud rate mod: possible ?

ve2vag@...

Hello,  I have an original ThumbDV bought from NWGR, when these came out.
Is there a way the make it run at 460800 baud, either with a mod or a firmware reprogram ?
Thanks and 73s from Guy VE2VAG in Quebec Canada

It would take difficult physical modification and I strongly recommend against attempting it.

On Oct 1, 2017 09:08, <ve2vag@...> wrote:
Hello,  I have an original ThumbDV bought from NWGR, when these came out.
Is there a way the make it run at 460800 baud, either with a mod or a firmware reprogram ?
Thanks and 73s from Guy VE2VAG in Quebec Canada

ve2vag@...

Edited

Thanks for the reply, John.  I recall reading somewhere that a physical mod was possible, but this is way too risky for me and my soldering skills.
Would have hoped that it could be set in the firmware, like for those who are reprogramming them for XLX.

Florian Wolters

Hi,

the stick can be controlled by software and AFAIK it can also re-set the baud rate after initialization. See the chip manual by DVSI.

vy73 de Florian DF2ET

Any reset, either hardware of software, will return it to the hardware strapped baud rate.

If you change the baud rate in software, you may have software stability issues unless the application software can detect and adapt to changing baud rates.

On Oct 1, 2017 10:14 AM, "Florian Wolters" <florian@...> wrote:
Hi,

the stick can be controlled by software and AFAIK it can also re-set the baud rate after initialization. See the chip manual by DVSI.

vy73 de Florian DF2ET

ve2vag@...

I've found the physical mod on twitter...  Seems easy at first when looking at the pics (lifting and isolating pin 91, and bonding together the pad of pin 91 with pins 90 + 89, but I won't risk it, I'm not equipped to do this with these pins so near from one to each other....

I've checked the chip manual, and found also the control packed field needed to bypass the hardware pins (PKT_RESETSOFTCFG 0x34).

I'm only using the ThumbDV, for now, as a local AMBEServer on a RPi 3.
So If I would want my ThumbDV to run at 460800, I guess I could try to incorporate the RESETSOFTCFG fieldcommand in AmbeServer's code source, and compile it ?
Now to find the correct argument to add for that field, since I'M a coding newbie.

Steven Blackford

Instead of doing all that, it's easier to change one line of code before you compile the ambed source:

kb7sqi@kb7sqi-x61:~/tmp/source/xlxd/ambed$ egrep 'baudrate' *
cusb3000interface.cpp:    int baudrate = 230400;
cusb3000interface.cpp.orig:    int baudrate = 460800;

Simply modify cusb3000interface.cpp & adjust the baud rate to match the slower baud rate of the old ThumbDV's.  I posted my test results on the Yahoo XLXD group.  The old ThumbDV's work fine.  73 de K4SQI.

Steve, K4SQI

--
-----
Steve, kb7sqi@...

ve2vag@...

Thanks Steve,but I'm running AmbeServer, not Ambed.

There is no advantage to modifying the baud rate for ambeserver -- http://nwdigitalradio.com/thumbdv-model-a/

On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 9:16 AM, <ve2vag@...> wrote:
Thanks Steve,but I'm running AmbeServer, not Ambed.

Edmonds, WA
K7VE