PiDV, AMBEserver and Buster

Create the user and try again

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020, 12:56 Mechanical_Mac <c.g.macarthur@...> wrote:
Hi John,

I tried:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo usermod -G dialout opendv
usermod: user 'opendv' does not exist

And now when I attempt:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo AMBEserver -i /dev/ttyS0
AMBEserver: Starting...
AMBEserver: Opened serial port /dev/ttyS0 at 230400 bps.
AMBEserver: Couldn't find start byte in serial data
AMBEserver: error receiving response to reset
AMBEserver: Could not initialize the DV3K!

Colin
VE3CWQ

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 7:42 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
You man need this on Buster

sudo usermod -G dialout opendv
Then try starting AMBEserver again.

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 3:32 PM Mechanical_Mac <c.g.macarthur@...> wrote:
Thank you very much John, I really appreciate your help. No need to rush, I'm not going anywhere.

Colin
Colin G. MacArthur B.A., LL.B.

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 4:50 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
Those are very good results.  It looks like a permission problem, as I stated in another thread.

As I stated, I don't have access to a PiDV™ at the moment (packed away during an extended house move), but I will try on a ThumbDV™ when I get a minute.  It may be something faulty in the service file.

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 1:16 PM Mechanical_Mac <c.g.macarthur@...> wrote:
Hi John,

I followed your instructions word for word. Results below.

sudo python AMBEtest3.py -i /dev/ttyS0
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo python AMBEtest3.py -i /dev/ttyS0
AMBEtest3.py -s <serial port>
AMBEtest3.py -n -s <serial port> (for ThumbDV Model A
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ python ambesocktest.py
^CTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "ambesocktest.py", line 23, in <module>
    d = s.recvfrom(1024)
KeyboardInterrupt

Same command but substituted -s flag and promising results.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo python AMBEtest3.py -s /dev/ttyS0
Setting ...
/dev/ttyS0
8
1
False
False
False

Reset
6100010033
Wrote: 5 bytes
a9
Product ID
6100010030
Wrote: 5 bytes
 0AMBE3000R
Version
6100010031
Wrote: 5 bytes
a11V120.E100.XXXX.C106.G514.R009.B0010411.C0020208
Set DSTAR Mode
61000c000a013007634000000000000048
Wrote: 17 bytes

Then ran this command, things look like they're working as expected.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo AMBEserver -i /dev/ttyS0
AMBEserver: Starting...
AMBEserver: Opened serial port /dev/ttyS0 at 230400 bps.
AMBEserver: Initialized AMBE3000R version V120.E100.XXXX.C106.G514.R009.B0010411.C0020208.
AMBEserver: Listening for connections on UDP port 2460.
Finally I tried the socket tests
python ambesocketest.py
                0AMBE3000R
Server reply : a
                0AMBE3000R
Server reply : a
                0AMBE3000R
^CTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "ambesocketest.py", line 23, in <module>
    d = s.recvfrom(1024)
KeyboardInterrupt

Hallelujah! The first positive news of the quarantine.

So then I tried:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo systemctl enable ambeserver@...
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/ambeserver@... → /lib/systemd/system/ambeserver@.service.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

No visible errors so I assumed it was enabled. I rebooted and tried:
sudo systemctl status ambeserver@...

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo systemctl status ambeserver@...
● ambeserver@... - DV3000 Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ambeserver@.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2020-04-24 15:05:48 EDT; 8min ago
  Process: 403 ExecStartPre=/bin/chgrp dialout /dev/ttyS0 (code=exited, status=217/USER)

Apr 24 15:05:48 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Starting DV3000 Daemon...
Apr 24 15:05:48 raspberrypi systemd[403]: ambeserver@...: Failed to determine user credentials: No such process
Apr 24 15:05:48 raspberrypi systemd[403]: ambeserver@...: Failed at step USER spawning /bin/chgrp: No such process
Apr 24 15:05:48 raspberrypi systemd[1]: ambeserver@...: Control process exited, code=exited, status=217/USER
Apr 24 15:05:48 raspberrypi systemd[1]: ambeserver@...: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Apr 24 15:05:48 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start DV3000 Daemon.
Apr 24 15:05:48 raspberrypi systemd[1]: ambeserver@...: Triggering OnFailure= dependencies.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

Damn! So close. So I don't know what to make of that.

Colin
Colin G. MacArthur B.A., LL.B.

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 1:19 AM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
Here are short instructions.
From  https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/ambe/wiki/AMBEserver-Addendum#Quick-Build-on-Linux

Quick Build on Linux

If you cannot find an AMBEserver package for your architecture and distribution. Try this:

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dl5di/OpenDV/master/DummyRepeater/DV3000/AMBEserver.c
Open https://github.com/dl5di/OpenDV/blob/master/DummyRepeater/DV3000/AMBEserver.c
select "RAW"
Copy and past the source code into AMBEserver.  Or just use the attached copy.

gcc -o AMBEserver AMBEserver.c
Place the executable in an appropriate place, and create configuration and autostart files.  On Raspbian/Debian this would be
sudo cp AMBEserver /usr/sbin
sudo chmod +x /usr/sbin/AMBEserver

A set of files for systemd management are located in the files section: ambesupport.tgz (https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/ambe/files)

Download this file to the target computer's filesystem and run
mv ambesupport.tgz /tmp &&  cd / && sudo tar -xzvf /tmp/ambesupport.tgz

Use the above instructions to manage the server.  (From the WIKI article)

The test programs (python) can be obtained here  https://github.com/dl5di/OpenDV/tree/master/DummyRepeater/DV3000
Open AMBEtest3.py go to raw and copy and paste to similarly named file (Attached)
  Open ambesocktest.py go to raw and copy and paste to similarly named file  or download this one from  https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/ambe/files

Run the tests I mentioned earlier

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 7:57 PM John D Hays - K7VE via groups.io <john=hays.org@groups.io> wrote:
You probably need to build AMBEserver it is not on the standard repositories.

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020, 19:25 Mechanical_Mac <c.g.macarthur@...> wrote:
Thanks John, I really appreciate your assistance.

The PIDV is definitely installed correctly on the Raspberry Pi, starting at PIN 1.
I always start with a fresh install of the latest version of Raspbian, now Buster.
I didn't get very far. The following steps were done sequentially.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install ambeserver
e:  unable to locate package ambeserver

I searched the raspbian package list for ambeserver without success.

Any suggestions?

Colin
Colin G. MacArthur B.A., LL.B.

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 1:01 AM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
You need to take a step wise approach to debug:

1. Make sure the HAT is properly seated.

Orient it so that it is sitting on pins 1-26, here is an illustration on a 40 pin GPIO Raspberry Pi
image.png

Use a current version of Raspbian (Compass Linux is deprecated)
Build/Install ambeserver
Do Not Start amberserver until you confirm that the PiDV is communicating with the Raspberry Pi

Use the test program from
sudo python AMBEtest3.py -i /dev/ttyS0

If this fails, then you may have a hardware problem.  On success, then test in foreground (not as daemon, don't use systemctl yet)

sudo AMBEserver -i /dev/ttyS0

Watch for errors, and then open a second terminal window and use:

python ambesocktest.py

If the ambesocktest works, then you can kill the AMBEserver and restart it with systemctl.
My lab is down at the moment so I am unable to do hands on build and document.

Mechanical_Mac

SUCCESS!!

I tried "sudo usermod -G dialout opendv". Turned out there was no user opendv. So I added the user with "sudo adduser opendv". Tried "sudo usermod -G dialout opendv" again and it returned no errors.

I then tried "sudo systemctl enable ambeserver@...", rebooted and ran the"sudo systemctl status ambeserver@..." command. It failed to connect, but then I remembered that I hadn't modified ambeserver-ttyS0.conf to set DV3000 baud rate at 230400. Used "sudo nano /etc/opendv/ambeserver-ttyS0.conf" to set it appropriately. Rebooted and tried: "sudo systemctl status ambeserver@..." again and SUCCESS!!.

Thanks John for your invaluable assistance.

Colin
Colin G. MacArthur B.A., LL.B.

[...]

Great.

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020, 15:01 Mechanical_Mac <c.g.macarthur@...> wrote:
[...]

Robert Alford

I attempted an install on a pi-zero for Ambeserver

when I run..

sudo AMBEserver -i /dev/ttyUSB0

AMBEserver: Starting...
AMBEserver: version 2018-06-13 git #f6bd7cb
AMBEserver: RESETSOFTCFG/TEAM6061 Edition
AMBEserver: Opened serial port /dev/ttyUSB0 at 230400 bps

Where can I change the bps as I cannot find a ambeserver-ttyUSB0.conf file ?

Thanks..

Rob..

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 3:19 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
[...]

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced !

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 3:09 PM Robert Alford <Mw1coe@...> wrote:
[...]

John,

I forgot to mention, when I first attempted to download and run the ambesocketest.py file from https://github.com/dl5di/OpenDV/tree/master/DummyRepeater/DV3000, it wouldn't execute. It turns out that it's misspelled. Instead of ambesocketest.py, it's ambesocktest.py. It's also misspelled at the bottom of the page as ambesockettest.py. The file from the Groups.io file repository is spelled correctly.

Colin
Colin G. MacArthur B.A., LL.B.

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 6:07 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
[...]

Kevin - VE7OVY

Edited

I'm on OSX Catalina 10.15.4 I can advise that Buster does not work on MacBook on my brand new ThumbDV arrived today.  I get the error message "Vocoder not found" in Buster preferences window and a "No serial connection" error when I start Buster.  This is despite the Thumb DV showing up in Mac OSX System Report (and the Thumb DV works fine in the same MacBook, when I run Parallels and Windows 10. Odd. Here's what the Mac System Report says:

ThumbDV:

  Product ID: 0x6015

  Vendor ID: 0x0403  (Future Technology Devices International Limited)

  Version: 10.00

  Serial Number: D307T3AG

  Speed: Up to 12 Mb/s

  Manufacturer: NW Digital Radio 03/20

  Location ID: 0x14300000 / 1

  Current Available (mA): 500

  Current Required (mA): 200

  Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

Hoping there will be a solution for Mac Catalina at some point in the near future.
73, Kevin  VE7OVY

Anna, the Author of Buster, is aware of the issue and hopes to get to it this month.

I’m also a Mac/Catalina user. I moved my ThumbDV to a Pi and run Ambeserver, then Buster can access the ThumbDV over the network.

Works great and I can run it from any Mac in the house or even over the Internet!

Bryan K7UDR

On May 5, 2020, at 8:09 PM, Kevin - VE7OVY <ve7ovy@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

Ted Huston

I am successfully running Buster under Catalina but the thumb drive must be plugged directly into a computer port, not an extender.  Also make sure you don’t have an FTDI conflict.

On May 6, 2020, at 10:57 AM, Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:

[...]

John Spoonhower

My thumbdv is also running great in remote mode accessible to multiple devices, inluding my android phone. The phone runs bluedv for Android.  The ambeserver is running on ubuntu 20.04 the latest LTS release.
Nx2i

On Wed, May 6, 2020, 10:57 AM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Ted,  don’t know exactly what you mean by an extender. MacBook Pro has USB-C only ports, so one must use a USB-C to USB-A adapter in order to plug it in.

Also not sure how to identify a FTDI conflict In OSX. Based on the system report I shared above it looks like it’s being seen by the OS. I read you’re not supposed to load FTDI’s drivers on a Mac, just let the native driver in OSX take care of it.  I was hoping to simply run this on my Mac laptop without doing Ambe servers on a Raspberry Pi.  We’re not all software gurus, hi hi. Perhaps I just need to be patient as Bryan said the software writer will be looking at the issue soon...  Thanks for the comments.

Ted Huston

Kevin, correct just rely on the OS native FTDI and I do use the USB-c adapter.  I have a port expander I use especially to give me an hdmi port.  Using the USB ports on it for the thumb drive don’t work, but using just the c adapter does.

On May 7, 2020, at 2:19 AM, Kevin - VE7OVY <ve7ovy@...> wrote:

Hi Ted,  don’t know exactly what you mean by an extender. MacBook Pro has USB-C only ports, so one must use a USB-C to USB-A adapter in order to plug it in.

Also not sure how to identify a FTDI conflict In OSX. Based on the system report I shared above it looks like it’s being seen by the OS. I read you’re not supposed to load FTDI’s drivers on a Mac, just let the native driver in OSX take care of it.  I was hoping to simply run this on my Mac laptop without doing Ambe servers on a Raspberry Pi.  We’re not all software gurus, hi hi. Perhaps I just need to be patient as Bryan said the software writer will be looking at the issue soon...  Thanks for the comments.

Annaliese McDermond

Buster version 1.2.4 was just submitted to the Mac App Store for review.  This revision should fix the bug people are seeing with serial devices not being properly recognized in Catalina.

--
Annaliese McDermond, J.D.
nh6z@...

Kenny Richards

Thanks Anna!

On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 9:59 AM Annaliese McDermond <nh6z@...> wrote:
Buster version 1.2.4 was just submitted to the Mac App Store for review.  This revision should fix the bug people are seeing with serial devices not being properly recognized in Catalina.

--
Annaliese McDermond, J.D.
nh6z@...

Annaliese McDermond

I am sorry this has taken so much time, but I have been in various fights with Apple over Buster for the past few months.

Finally, Buster 1.2.9 has been released to the app store.  This should work better on Catalina for folks.  I've done some changes to the serial port handling that seem to clear up the errors.

I'd like to thank Rob Huston, WD8NAQ, for his contributions to trying to make sure DPlus reflectors show up more reliably.  We made some changes in the code and hopefully those should start showing up more quickly during some error conditions.  Please wait around 10 seconds after launching buster for things to settle before trying to link to DPlus reflectors.

There are also a couple of changes initiated by Apple that you should be aware of.

Apple rejected the app because the icon didn't show up well in Dark Mode.  The icon has been slightly redesigned to accommodate this.

More significantly, Apple rejected Buster because the close box on the main window didn't function (it's been that way for five years now).  This was by design, because the app doesn't make a lot of sense without the main window active (you could always hide it if you didn't want to see it).  Apparently this is against the App Store rules.  I have had to implement the ability to close the main window in Buster.  I do not suggest you use it.  The window has been renamed "Control" and you can get it back by selecting the "Control" entry in the "Windows" menu.  This also should be command-0.  The big missing feature here is that when you close the window, you will lose your QSO log completely, including any ongoing transmissions that may be in progress.  The window will begin to work correctly upon the next transmission.  To remember the QSO log would be a larger task that I wanted to bite off right now with how things are working, and I wanted to get out a release soon to try to solve some of the Catalina issues for folks (I know, right as Big Sur is going to be released...).

Thanks for your patience and I hope you enjoy the updates.

--
Annaliese McDermond, J.D.
nh6z@...

Thanks Anna!

Kenny Richards

Thanks Anna! (and Rob)

Kenny

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 10:24 AM Annaliese McDermond <nh6z@...> wrote:
[...]

Balasubramanian Iyer

I am running ThumDV on usb exteder without power, it is working on windows 10
i am also using ThumbDV on Buster on Mac it is working fine

KB5ZUR

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 06:42 PM, John D Hays - K7VE wrote:
sudo usermod -G dialout opendv
Hi John,
I'm at exactly this same point with my PiDV on a new Raspberry pi 3B+ install.
PiDV works with ttl to usb adaptor in wibdows and passed AMBEtest3.py fine.

Tried the "sudo usermod -G dialout opendv with no success. I still get the following errors when trying to run ambeserver@ttyS0
pi@DV3000SVR:~/ambeserver-install $ sudo systemctl status ambeserver@...
● ambeserver@... - AMBEserver Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/ambeserver@.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2020-09-29 15:38:36 CDT; 34s ago
 Main PID: 1546 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Sep 29 15:38:36 DV3000SVR systemd[1]: Starting AMBEserver Daemon...
Sep 29 15:38:36 DV3000SVR systemd[1]: Started AMBEserver Daemon.
Sep 29 15:38:36 DV3000SVR AMBEserver[1546]: AMBEserver: Starting...
Sep 29 15:38:36 DV3000SVR AMBEserver[1546]: AMBEserver: Opened serial port /dev/ttyS0 at 230400 bps.
Sep 29 15:38:36 DV3000SVR AMBEserver[1546]: AMBEserver: Unable to open GPIO export interface: Permission denied
Sep 29 15:38:36 DV3000SVR AMBEserver[1546]: AMBEserver: Could not initialize the DV3K!
Sep 29 15:38:36 DV3000SVR systemd[1]: ambeserver@...: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAIL
Sep 29 15:38:36 DV3000SVR systemd[1]: ambeserver@...: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Sep 29 15:38:36 DV3000SVR systemd[1]: ambeserver@...: Triggering OnFailure= dependencies.
lines 1-14/14 (END)

seems to be some sort of GPIO Permission denied error.

Driving me a bit crazy trying to figure this out. Any help is appreciated.

Provide a listing of the command

ls -l /dev/tty*