Portable ambe server

Nutters (vk1nut)

hi,
I have a portable ambe server
https://reflectorloversclub.jimdofree.com/shop/
and am trying to accertain if moving the default port (2465) to match local ambeservers (2462) would effect the reliability of the connection.
I can connect externally from bluedv ambe for android and bluedv for windows to a static ip address as I don't need dyn dns etc.
Unfortunately the connection seems to be unrealiable at best to others.
The server can be accessed by me anywhere even ssh everytime.
Has anyone had experience with these as I would appreciate your help.
thanks

Glenn vk1nut

Gwen Patton

I run my AMBEServer on a Raspberry Pi, with the ThumbDV on a powered hub. I have a port forwarded to Dyndns so I can access it from anywhere using my phone or any other internet-connected machine. It's not portable, but it doesn't have to be. I activate it by SSH'ing to the RasPi and bringing up the AMBEServer. Then I leave the session open but minimized. I can use the same computer to run BlueDV, or my Android phone to run BlueDV AMBE. Works great. I use ExtraPuTTY (a fork of PuTTY that has file transfer protocols, and other features) for the access.

If I used it more, I might pop for a static IP for mine as well, but the DynDNS works ok so long as I have a daemon on the RasPi that updates it if my home network's IP changes.

Note that I ONLY run AMBEServer. I don't run Buster or any other programs except the dynamic DNS daemon, which runs in the background and starts on boot. What else might you want to know?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 11:31 PM Glenn Taylor VK1NUT <vk1nut@...> wrote:
hi,
I have a portable ambe server
https://reflectorloversclub.jimdofree.com/shop/
and am trying to accertain if moving the default port (2465) to match local ambeservers (2462) would effect the reliability of the connection.
I can connect externally from bluedv ambe for android and bluedv for windows to a static ip address as I don't need dyn dns etc.
Unfortunately the connection seems to be unrealiable at best to others.
The server can be accessed by me anywhere even ssh everytime.
Has anyone had experience with these as I would appreciate your help.
thanks

Glenn vk1nut

Franco

HI
I've been using the same system for a few years. I can tell you that I have made some soft and hardware changes to the master which improves the latency a little when you are on the go (auto) as a slave.

This does less unpack, so in mine I did this:

1. I modified the various ports to be independent and avoid default access using its internal config in the sd

2. you must have a configuration without automatic dhcp but fixed ip for and in your ambe

3. in any case inform your router with the NAT port you use towards the IP of the ambe (for external access)

4. there is a recent change to be made on the ambe server hardware to improve the latency which then brings it from 230400bd to 460800bd (a simple hardware soldering) and then also mod speed in the soft AMBEs you use

5. Change the SD and port to the new speed and the new soft to download iso for the SD

6. have a fixed IP or use any system dyndns or no-ip or other to reach it even from outside the home on the internet

7. I have activated the SSH app to be able to reboot and turn off and turn on the master again if it crashes

With the DVSWITCH app you don't need an AMBE, as everything is contained via soft.
A single raspberry on the network as a server and the DvSwitch app with its iso on the configured sd, obviously with the NAT configured and fixed ip or dyndns / no-ip for access from outside your home network.

73

I cannot answer for that specific product, since it is not a NW Digital Radio product like the ThumbDV™

However a couple of data points:
  • The AMBEserver (generic) software is port and IP address agnostic, so you just configure it to run on whatever address and port you want, whether public or private.  (ThumbDV™ install of AMBEserver.)
  • The network protocol is UDP, not TCP, which means it is 'unreliable'.  The packets are not assured of delivery and unacknowledged, so they may get lost if the network circuit has any loss.  (SSH on the other hand uses TCP)
  • The daemon really only supports one simultaneous client, so if you have more than one client running you may get lost packets.
  • Make sure the port you choose is forwarded through the router.

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 8:31 PM Glenn Taylor VK1NUT <vk1nut@...> wrote:
hi,
I have a portable ambe server
https://reflectorloversclub.jimdofree.com/shop/
and am trying to accertain if moving the default port (2465) to match local ambeservers (2462) would effect the reliability of the connection.
I can connect externally from bluedv ambe for android and bluedv for windows to a static ip address as I don't need dyn dns etc.
Unfortunately the connection seems to be unrealiable at best to others.
The server can be accessed by me anywhere even ssh everytime.
Has anyone had experience with these as I would appreciate your help.
thanks

Glenn vk1nut

Nutters (vk1nut)

Thanks guys,
I seem to have all your suggested bases covered at this stage.
I was wondering is this Portable AMBE Server using the same distro of Debian  as NW does?
I don't know enough about identifying linux distros so I have a screen capture of the File structure in the hopes that I can get an idea of the distro and the contents of
Issue.txt:
Raspberry Pi reference 2017-11-29
Generated using pi-gen, https://github.com/RPi-Distro/pi-gen, b71bf3179310aadf9aaf2ffcdf094a88e488dce8, stage2

I would appreciate any input that recognises the distro.
The AMBEDConfig.exe sets up the IP address and Ports and the server does work, but it just appears to be intermittent so I am thinking I am mismanaging it somehow.

Thnx in advance
Glenn,vk1nut