Topics

Serial not connected #thumbdv #bluedv

Andrew OBrien

I have not used my ThumbDV in a while.  Today I plugged in in and installed the latest version of BlueDV.  I set the baud rate in the set-up area tp 46080 and entered my comm port number in the two usual areas where we specify the desired comm port.  The comm port I chose matches the number shown in my device manger. I have the top box ticked under AMBE for ThumbDV. Despite all this when I then click on SERIAL nothing happens , the firmware is not detected.  I have tried it on a Windows 10PC and a Windows 7 PC.

Andy K3UK

Gwen Patton

I backed off from the most recent version to the previous version because there were some annoying bugs. I think the most recent version (9551) has some issues that David hasn't had time to fix. I'd try going to the archive folder and getting the 9550 version. I've been running that for months now and it works fine. I used it last night and it was fine, and my setup is a little more complex, running on a Raspberry Pi through a powered hub. I keep a PuTTY terminal open to it with Tmux, a telnet cluster on the top pane and the bottom pane running AMBEServer. It's a very lightweight setup, with a dynamic DNS punched through the firewall so I can access it from anywhere.

--

-+-+-+-+-
Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time

Willie Williams

Have you tried to unplug thumb DV  and plug it in again?

KD4JBL

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 12:06 AM Andrew OBrien <k3ukandy@...> wrote:
I have not used my ThumbDV in a while.  Today I plugged in in and installed the latest version of BlueDV.  I set the baud rate in the set-up area tp 46080 and entered my comm port number in the two usual areas where we specify the desired comm port.  The comm port I chose matches the number shown in my device manger. I have the top box ticked under AMBE for ThumbDV. Despite all this when I then click on SERIAL nothing happens , the firmware is not detected.  I have tried it on a Windows 10PC and a Windows 7 PC.

Andy K3UK

Andrew OBrien

Yes, I have tried unplugging and plugging in again.  I do get the Windows sound indicating it knows a USB device has been plugged in and Device Manager shows the USB port. .  I just ran the ThumbTest.exe utility though and after I enter the baud rate , the utility briefly displays a unhandled exception and the Thumbtest aborts.  I tried both baud rates common to the ThumbDV
Andy K3UK

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 9:16 AM Willie Williams <frewil16@...> wrote:
Have you tried to unplug thumb DV  and plug it in again?

KD4JBL

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 12:06 AM Andrew OBrien <k3ukandy@...> wrote:
I have not used my ThumbDV in a while.  Today I plugged in in and installed the latest version of BlueDV.  I set the baud rate in the set-up area tp 46080 and entered my comm port number in the two usual areas where we specify the desired comm port.  The comm port I chose matches the number shown in my device manger. I have the top box ticked under AMBE for ThumbDV. Despite all this when I then click on SERIAL nothing happens , the firmware is not detected.  I have tried it on a Windows 10PC and a Windows 7 PC.

Andy K3UK

Steve Taylor

I had bad luck with the current version of BlueDV. It would not connect to the ThumbDV.

I deleted the files from my computer and went the archive files and downloaded the 09548 version.

It installed and worked perfectly.

Steve N7BEF

Brent LeFevre

BlueDV has a steep learning curve, I have loaded it on windows tablets, win10 and android phones, When ever I do a fresh install it takes 3-4 hours, every time I think I know what I did to get it to work on one device doesn't seem to be the same on another device. But, once its working it works flawlessly.

I was going to chime in with suggestions on what I have done to get it to work, but honestly I have no CLUE what I've done to get it right.

73

Brent LeFevre
−·− ···−− −·−· ···· ··−·

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 12:15 PM Steve Taylor via Groups.Io <sltay456=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I had bad luck with the current version of BlueDV. It would not connect to the ThumbDV.

I deleted the files from my computer and went the archive files and downloaded the 09548 version.

It installed and worked perfectly.

Steve N7BEF

Jack Spitznagel

Frankly, I am confused by this statement below.

From the beginning, installs of BlueDV have been straightforward (except once when David left a major bug in the release that caused random exceptions - that was a long while ago). Some basic understanding of Windoze devices, D-Star, and DMR was all that was required. 40 minutes first time out (mostly to adjust audio and understand programming) and less than 20 minutes on several installs for friends afterwards, including Win 7, 8, and 10.

The only machine that gave me trouble was a single Win 7 laptop loaded with crapware, pseudo “security” software, bad drivers, malware, and trackers. I asked the owner of that one to do a clean install... he bought a new laptop.

Jack - KD4IZ

On Aug 13, 2019, at 10:33, Brent LeFevre <brent.lefevre@...> wrote:

[...]

J Spitznagel
Science River LLC
KD4IZ

Hi Andy,

"Firmware not detected" is a red herring when it comes to ThumbDV™
(and similar AMBE-3000 devices). That error belongs to some hardware
radio devices, but not the ThumbDV™ -- however, it is indicative that
there is a problem. I assume the 46080 baud rate is a typo, as it is
460800 (or 230400 on very old ThumbDVs).

I see you ran ThumbTest.exe at both baud rates. Did you unplug the
ThumbDV™ between the different baud rate tests? Did the LEDs blink on
the ThumbDV™? There are two main hardware components to the success
of the ThumbDV™. First is the FTDI USB to serial chip. Since you are
getting an indication that Windows sees it, then the DVSI chip is
probably working fine. The second is the DVSI AMBE-3000 chip which
does the actual vocoding receiving and sending packets over the serial
interface of the FTDI chip via USB to the computer.

If the AMBE chip fails (unlikely but possible) you would not have
packets going to and from the software on the computer (driver and
application/BlueDV). If you are unable to get a successful run of
ThumbTest.exe and want to send your ThumbDV™ back for evaluation, use
the form at http://nwdigitalradio.com/support