sudo apt-get install ambeserver

Marco Della Cagna

hallo,
i try to install amberser on my Rapsberry but when i write in a terminal:
sudo apt-get install ambeserver
i receive this message:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get install AMBEServer
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package AMBEServer
How can i fix this error ?
73 Marco - IK6IOQ

Ian

Marco,

There is a message, five messages back, that may provide you with some help.

Regards,
Ian..
link to message

Marco Della Cagna

Ok Tnx i will try Compass Linux.
73
Marco - IK6IOQ

Yes, ambeserver pre-compiled is available on Compass Linux or building from source https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/ambe/wiki/AMBEserver-Addendum#Quick-Build-on-Linux (pretty easy).

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 8:16 AM <ik6ioq@...> wrote:
Ok Tnx i will try Compass Linux.
73
Marco - IK6IOQ

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Cliff Miller

Ambeserver compiled just fine, but it’s the “create configuration and autostart files“ that’s not so clear.
Working with a raspbian setup I didn’t want to lose, about to give up and just go the compass linux route.

Is there any documentation or more detailed instructions?

Kenny Richards

There really isn't any configuration files, you just need to start it from the command line. This is the command I use to start it on my server at home, with a ThumbDV. I don't have the PiDV running at the moment, but the start up is similar (just point to the correct device).

At some point I should create a systemd file to-do this automatically and I should also create a pull request for the changes that write out status messages to syslog....

Hope that helps,
Kenny

sudo /usr/bin/AMBEserver -i /dev/ttyUSB0

Cliff Miller

Kenny - Thank you very much.  The instructions about how to start it as a service made me wonder if that was required.  I created the /etc/opendv folder and put the config file given in the wiki there.  Al it does is change the baud rate to that appropriate for the A model ThumbDV (460800, I think).  Even that can be part of the command line, so the config file would not be necessary.  Good news!

What other software do you run along with AMBEserver to do DStar?

73 - Cliff W4HGR Evans, GA

Kenny Richards

I am pretty sure the ThumbDV I am using is of the second generation, so it doesn't need to be forced to the 460800 baud rate. I had forgot about that requirement for some people, but as you said, it can also be done from the command line.

At the moment I don't have anything running on the Pi/ThumbDV board, but AMBEserver. It is now a custom version, since I added the code to have it write out status to the syslog file, but I never got around to writing a sys.d file since I was starting and stopping custom versions all the time.

I personally use Buster to connect to reflectors with the setup. (I'm primarily a Mac/Linux person)

73,
Kenny, KU7M

I have updated instructions at https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/ambe/wiki/AMBEserver-Addendum#Quick-Build-on-Linux

The 'roll your own' (e.g. non-Compass Linux) approach, assumed familiarity with the target sufficient to fill in the 'blanks'.

Like most Linux/Unix command line programs, placing the help flag will expose flags, e.g. AMBEserver -h

The 3 parameters that may need adjusted are the device, e.g. /dev/ttyUSB0, the speed, e.g. 460800, and the UDP port it will listen on, e.g. 2640.

The instructions are still sparse, but the components are now downloadable to fill in the blanks.