Topics

Thumb DV with Android Phone

Mike Besemer

Would like to hear from users who are using a Thumb DV with their Android phone.  I’m very interested in this combination, but due to the fact that I’ve already got too many irons in the fire, I’d like to know what I’m getting in to first.  Looks like Blue DV might be the way to go.  Thoughts?

73,

Mike

WM4B

Robert Moldenhauer

I use a Galaxy Note 9 with a ThumbDV plugged into it directly with an OTG cable. I run BlueDV AMBE app. he combination works perfectly. I have access to DStar, DMR, and DM+ talkgroups, no C4FM at this point. I just checked into the Canadian DStar Net. Only issue is that the who screen is the push to talk and without a case it's easy to transmit by accident.

Robert
VK2DY

Mike Besemer wrote on 27/4/19 11:03 am:

Would like to hear from users who are using a Thumb DV with their Android phone.  I’m very interested in this combination, but due to the fact that I’ve already got too many irons in the fire, I’d like to know what I’m getting in to first.  Looks like Blue DV might be the way to go.  Thoughts?

73,

Mike

WM4B

Mike Besemer

Thanks Robert.  Exactly what I needed to hear.

73,

Mike

WM4B

[...]

Brent LeFevre

I use it with an OTG adaptor to my LGV10, works like a dream....

As expected, it's a bit taxing On the battery of the phone.

73 de W4CHF
Brent

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019, 9:03 PM Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...> wrote:

Would like to hear from users who are using a Thumb DV with their Android phone.  I’m very interested in this combination, but due to the fact that I’ve already got too many irons in the fire, I’d like to know what I’m getting in to first.  Looks like Blue DV might be the way to go.  Thoughts?

73,

Mike

WM4B

Gwen Patton

I tried using it plugged into my phone, but the battery drain was prohibitive. So I installed AMBEServer on a raspberry pi, punched a hole in my firewall, and set up a dynamic DNS for it. BlueDV AMBE connects to the ThumbDV, which is plugged into the pi through a powered USB hub.

Works perfectly.

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019, 10:35 PM Brent LeFevre <brent.lefevre@...> wrote:
I use it with an OTG adaptor to my LGV10, works like a dream....

As expected, it's a bit taxing On the battery of the phone.

73 de W4CHF
Brent

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019, 9:03 PM Mike Besemer <mwbesemer@...> wrote:

Would like to hear from users who are using a Thumb DV with their Android phone.  I’m very interested in this combination, but due to the fact that I’ve already got too many irons in the fire, I’d like to know what I’m getting in to first.  Looks like Blue DV might be the way to go.  Thoughts?

73,

Mike

WM4B

Ludovic Ludo

Le 27/04/2019 à 03:03, Mike Besemer a écrit :

Would like to hear from users who are using a Thumb DV with their Android phone.

Hello,

audio depend on the quality of your phone. For me, fine like you can heard on :
http://radioamateur.forumsactifs.com/t2159-dmr-et-dstar-sans-emetteur-recepteur-directement-sur-ordinateur-ou-telephone-portable-smartphone

All info on http://radioamateur.forumsactifs.com/f35-dmr-dstar-c4fm
(Use Google translate)

Best regards,
Ludovic - F5PBG

Mike Besemer

I wonder if anyone has tried a Y-cable so you can charge and plug in the Thumb DV at the same time.

Mike

WM4B