ThumbDV

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

Steve,

This sounds to me like a software / networking issue, but you haven't mentioned what software you're using.

Details, please.

73,

On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 9:06 AM Steve Keay <greygeesesteve@...> wrote:
I have just installed this and am receiving audio ok but for some reason don't seem to be getting TX audio out. Everything looks ok on the TX page and I can see the signal meter rise and fall with my audio. I'm getting a flickering green light on the Thumb DV but the person on the other end is getting nothing. Have checked the headset and the mike is working ok. The levels out seem fine. Any suggestions ? Thanks Steve.

--
- Dave, W3DJS
-- Lifetime Member of ARRL & GARS and curator of HamPi, the ham radio software distribution for the Raspberry Pi --

Hi Steve,

Are you connected to a DSTAR REF reflector? Then make sure you are USTRUST registered. Without USTRUST registration you can only listen.

David PA7LIM

On 29 Jun 2022, at 15:06, Steve Keay via groups.io <greygeesesteve@...> wrote:

I have just installed this and am receiving audio ok but for some reason don't seem to be getting TX audio out. Everything looks ok on the TX page and I can see the signal meter rise and fall with my audio. I'm getting a flickering green light on the Thumb DV but the person on the other end is getting nothing. Have checked the headset and the mike is working ok. The levels out seem fine. Any suggestions ? Thanks Steve.

AzEagleEye

Hi David,

Not to hijack this thread, but does the ThumbDV only allow connection with REF’s, not directly with a D-STAR stack with a Gateway, or is this a limitation of the software used?

Are you still recommending BlueDV for PC’s? Is there a Mac OS equivalent?

73 de Dennis KD7CAC
Apache Junction, AZ

On Jun 29, 2022, at 6:27 AM, David PA7LIM <info@...> wrote:

Hi Steve,

Are you connected to a DSTAR REF reflector? Then make sure you are USTRUST registered. Without USTRUST registration you can only listen.

David PA7LIM

On 29 Jun 2022, at 15:06, Steve Keay via groups.io <greygeesesteve@...> wrote:

I have just installed this and am receiving audio ok but for some reason don't seem to be getting TX audio out. Everything looks ok on the TX page and I can see the signal meter rise and fall with my audio. I'm getting a flickering green light on the Thumb DV but the person on the other end is getting nothing. Have checked the headset and the mike is working ok. The levels out seem fine. Any suggestions ? Thanks Steve.

Steve Keay <greygeesesteve@...>

I'm using Blue  DV software. This morning I was connected to Ref 016c for a sked with a mate in VK. I was getting his audio and he could see I was connected through 016C but he was hearing nothing from me.

On 29 Jun 2022, at 15:06, Steve Keay via groups.io <greygeesesteve=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

I have just installed this and am receiving audio ok but for some reason don't seem to be getting TX audio out. Everything looks ok on the TX page and I can see the signal meter rise and fall with my audio. I'm getting a flickering green light on the Thumb DV but the person on the other end is getting nothing. Have checked the headset and the mike is working ok. The levels out seem fine. Any suggestions ? Thanks Steve.

Steve Keay <greygeesesteve@...>

Oh sorry for not introducing myself properly David. I'm GM1DSK Steve in Perthshire Scotland.

On Wed, 29 Jun 2022, 17:17 Steve Keay via groups.io, <greygeesesteve=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I can see that you are not USTRUST registered. This also explains why you can not transmit on REF reflectors. Make sure you register for USTRUST.

See link to check your registrations.

https://www.pa7lim.nl/callcheck/searchcall.php?call=GM1DSK+

Greets and 73,

     David PA7LIM

[...]

Hi Dennis,

The ThumbDV can transcode DSTAR, DMR and Fusion. ( And some others )

There is also a very nice product written by Anna NH6Z and runs on the Mac. This software is called buster and you can connect to DSTAR.

BlueDV can connect to DSTAR, DMR and Fusion but cannot run on a Mac. Only Windows and Android.

Greets and 73,

     David PA7LIM

[...]

Alec-N1AJW

FYI i have gotten it to work with parallels for Mac.

[...]

There is also Buster on the App store.

On Wed, Jun 29, 2022, 12:04 Alec-N1AJW <alec.wasserman@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks David . I have sent off my application and will await confirmation. Your help is greatly appreciated.

On Wed, 29 Jun 2022, 20:53 John Hays - K7VE / WRJT-215, <john@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks John. Is there no combination of the ThumbDV & an app that will allow connecting to a local Gateway?

73 de Dennis KD7CAC
Apache Junction, AZ

On Jun 29, 2022, at 12:53 PM, John Hays - K7VE / WRJT-215 <john@...> wrote:

[...]

Gwen Patton

I have AMBEserver on my Raspberry Pi, and a daemon that refreshes the dynamic DNS if our FIOS changes its IP address. It's been so long I don't remember exactly how I configured it, but it works pretty well so I tend not to mess with it. If there was one improvement I'd want, it would probably just be whatever Linux commands I need to run AMBEserver in the background, or even when the terminal session was disconnected. It's a pain to have to leave the terminal session up just to run it. I tried putting an ampersand at the end of the startup command line, but it didn't work. I should probably update the thing too, but I figured, if it works, don't fix it. As it is, I just SSH into the Pi using ExtraPuTTY, and start it up.

I was confused by the mention of USTRUST IDs. I've never heard of it. But I guess somewhere along the line, registering with DSTAR got massaged into a new system or something like that, so my call got into the USTRUST database (I used David's URL with my own call inserted to double-check just now) by default. It WAS many years since I first set myself up in the DSTAR database, after all.

On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 8:23 PM AzEagleEye <kd7cac@...> wrote:

[...]

Gwen,

using systemd under Linux.

On Wed, Jun 29, 2022, 17:36 Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks, John.

I'll check that out when I'm ready to upgrade the Pi. That ThumbDV has been working beautifully for me. Glad you and your team made it available. Great little device. I might put a backup copy of AMBEserver on the Chromebook I flashed over to GalliumOS Linux and use for digital mode ham stuff in the field. Works great for FT8 and JS8Call. I'll have to use it where I have wifi, Ethernet, or phone service to tether it to, but that's easy enough to arrange.

On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 9:19 PM John Hays - K7VE / WRJT-215 <john@...> wrote:
[...]

Working fine now . Thanks for your help. Best wishes Steve .GM1DSK.