ThumbDV and HP Laptop - 17-by3053cl

Art Olson

Clay

Assume you used the test tool for the thumb dv

Art
N2AJO

On Feb 4, 2021, at 12:28 PM, Clay Welsh <cjwelsh@...> wrote:

This is a recent review I did on Amazon: "I have had an Acer laptop that was getting old and I needed a replacement. I ordered a "Renewed" HP 17" Laptop to replace it. The laptop is beautiful and is so easy to type on. Even the keyboard lights up while you are typing. Using the "Plugable USB 2.0 cable, I was able to transfer 60GB of files from the old computer to the new one. This is a terrific product and I am very happy with its purchase.
I am editing this review today, 2/4/2021, because I have run into a problem that was unexpected. I am an Amateur Radio Operator and I use a device called a ThumbDV by Northwest Digital Radio. This looks like any thumb drive with the only exception being that it is transparent. This device requires Serial Ports (1-4). Believe it or not, this computer does not have any Serial Ports. When I checked the Device Manager, there was no indication of any com ports. I spent hours on the phone with HP and went through 3 levels of Tech Support and they couldn't help me either. So in retrospect I say this: "All things being equal, this is a great computer, but if you are a Ham Radio Operator and want to use the ThumbDV, avoid purchasing this model HP Laptop - 17-by3053cl."

Clay Welsh

No I didn't use the tool because I'd been using this thumb TV for at least 3 years on my Acer laptop and nothing had changed when I plugged it into the new laptop. The factory remains there are no com ports and the thumb DV does require com ports.

--
Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

On 2/4/21, 12:35 PM Art Olson <olson339@...> wrote:
[...]

Make sure the FTDI driver is on the HP laptop.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 10:06 AM Clay Welsh <cjwelsh@...> wrote:
[...]

Lee

serial ports are assigned by the user, not the manufacturer. 😮

On 2/4/2021 11:43 AM, Clay Welsh wrote:
[...]

Not if there aren't any available in the setup of the thumb TV. If you think they are you don't understand the problem.
--

On 2/4/21, 5:58 PM Lee <lee@...> wrote:

[...]

The drivers should be installed before you insert the thumbDV. After installing drivers, reboot computer and insert thumbDV. It should work fine.

On 2/4/21, 5:58 PM Lee <lee@...> wrote:

[...]

Gwen Patton

It's worse than that.

Did you check device manager before or after you plugged in the ThumbDV? I'll bet the answer is "before".

Plug it in, THEN check device manager. It doesn't activate a com port until you plug a device into a USB port.

On 2/4/21, 5:58 PM Lee <lee@...> wrote:

[...]

Jack L. Blake Sr (AI4LL)

I think what Clay is trying to say is there are no USB Ports on this model HP computer. Sounds like one of those Chrome Machines.
Jack L. Blake

On 2/4/21, 5:58 PM Lee <lee@...> wrote:

[...]

mfle2001

That would be a major drawback, but I think its more likely he can't locate the COM port the thumbDV creates. Suggest try this:
  1. Open Device Manager
  2. Click on Action
  3. Select Add legacy hardware
  4. Click Next
  5. Select Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced) and click Next
  6. Scroll down and then select Ports (COM & LPT), and click Next.
  7. Select Manufacturer as per your need (the standard one or default option should work), and then click Next
  8. Click Finish
  9. Reboot
Mike.
VK2AMF.

On 2/4/21, 5:58 PM Lee <lee@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Fleetwood
Canberra Australia and Sidcup UK.

Worldwide email address is:      mfleetwood@...

Gwen Patton

He said he used a USB cable to transfer files.

What it wouldn't have is your typical DB-25 RS-232 port, since those are made obsolete by USB. While a machine may have several USB ports, they are dynamically assigned COMn: port designators when you plug in a device that works in serial mode and RS-232 signaling, like the ThumbDV.

If you don't have it plugged in, you may see USB host adapters, but no COM ports. Linux does a similar thing -- since the port addresses are dynamic, they aren't assigned a port designator until the device is plugged in.

Compare the device manager list before and after plugging the ThumbDV into a USB port. That should show what com port it received. Then you can put that in BlueDV.

On 2/4/21, 5:58 PM Lee <lee@...> wrote:

[...]

I used the tool today and it confirmed I have no Com Ports.

Gwen Patton

Clay,

Did you plug in the ThumbDV and run the tool, or without it in a USB port? There's a reason I'm asking, and you haven't said whether or not the ThumbDV was in the USB port or not.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 10:47 PM Clay Welsh <cjwelsh@...> wrote:
I used the tool today and it confirmed I have no Com Ports.

Clay Welsh

Thanks for the advice John but excuse my ignorance but how do I get this FTDI driver? I'll try searching for FTDI driver and see what I come up with. Believe me all suggestions are appreciated. I love this new laptop, but I sure would like to be able to use my ThumbDV, :-).

mfle2001

Do you get any response when you plug in the ThumbDV? Have you tried all 3 USB ports? If there is no driver it should look for one automatically.
Have you followed my instructions to add the COM ports?

Mike
VK2AMF.

At 02:49 PM 6/02/2021, Clay Welsh wrote:
Thanks for the advice John but excuse my ignorance but how do I get this FTDI driver? I'll try searching for FTDI driver and see what I come up with. Believe me all suggestions are appreciated. I love this new laptop, but I sure would like to be able to use my ThumbDV, :-).

Mike Fleetwood
Canberra Australia and Sidcup UK.

Worldwide email address is:      mfleetwood@...

Lee

One thing I did notice  with mine is that it would not work in a USB 3.0 port. It only seemed to work in a 2.0 port. Be sure this is a 2.0 port you are using. 3.0 is usually blue inside.

On 2/5/2021 10:59 PM, mfle2001 wrote:
Do you get any response when you plug in the ThumbDV? Have you tried all 3 USB ports? If there is no driver it should look for one automatically.
Have you followed my instructions to add the COM ports?

Mike
VK2AMF.

At 02:49 PM 6/02/2021, Clay Welsh wrote:
Thanks for the advice John but excuse my ignorance but how do I get this FTDI driver? I'll try searching for FTDI driver and see what I come up with. Believe me all suggestions are appreciated. I love this new laptop, but I sure would like to be able to use my ThumbDV, :-).

Mike Fleetwood
Canberra Australia and Sidcup UK.

Worldwide email address is:      mfleetwood@...

Nutters (vk1nut)

Clay,

The virtual driver for ftdi can be downloaded here:

https://ftdichip.com/drivers/vcp-drivers/

Instructions for its install are lower down on the page:

V 2.12.28 -download the executable as it is easier to get going.

Glenn

vk1nut AKA “Nutters”