ThumbDV & Buster / Mac

J.R. Jesson, N7JRJ

I’ve just received the ThumbDV from NW Digital Radio.  I’m trying to use Buster, but when I select the serial device representing the ThumbDV and try to set the port speed to 460800, buster locks up.  I’m running MacOS Sierra.  I've googled and checked this forum.  My next step will be to setup the ThumbDB on a Pi3/Compass, but I’d like to get this working on my laptop if possible.  Jeremy McDermond's site is down (NH6Z), so I thought I would ask here.

Advice appreciated!

73,

J.R., N7JRJ

Lyn

HI J.R.

I am using a ThumbDV and Buster with Sierra 10.12.4 and it works OK with baud set to 46800 - see attached screen shot. I don’t remember doing anything special when I installed Buster, but that was some time ago.

As far a I can tell, there is no support for Buster to keep host files (or however they use to add new reflectors) so what you get is all there is. Also, the voice prompt when you link/unlink has gone away recently.

73,
Lyn - KC8I

On Mar 4, 2017, at 1:07 PM, N7JRJ@... wrote:

I’ve just received the ThumbDV from NW Digital Radio.  I’m trying to use Buster, but when I select the serial device representing the ThumbDV and try to set the port speed to 460800, buster locks up.  I’m running MacOS Sierra.  I've googled and checked this forum.  My next step will be to setup the ThumbDB on a Pi3/Compass, but I’d like to get this working on my laptop if possible.  Jeremy McDermond's site is down (NH6Z), so I thought I would ask here.

Advice appreciated!

73,
J.R., N7JRJ

Craig McVeay <cmcveay@...>

J.R.,
  I had a similar issue and I found that it was caused by the FTDI drivers that I had installed for another device.  I did the uninstall process for the drivers, restarted the laptop and then plugged in the dongle and fired up Buster to find everything working as it should.

  The directions for doing the uninstall are on the FTDI site.

Craig
N0CSM

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 12:07 PM, <N7JRJ@...> wrote:

I’ve just received the ThumbDV from NW Digital Radio.  I’m trying to use Buster, but when I select the serial device representing the ThumbDV and try to set the port speed to 460800, buster locks up.  I’m running MacOS Sierra.  I've googled and checked this forum.  My next step will be to setup the ThumbDB on a Pi3/Compass, but I’d like to get this working on my laptop if possible.  Jeremy McDermond's site is down (NH6Z), so I thought I would ask here.

Advice appreciated!

73,

J.R., N7JRJ

J.R. Jesson, N7JRJ

Lyn-

Thanks for the quick reply.  I'm running Sierra release 10.12.3 (notice you're running beta -- very brave).  Buster finds my serial port, but when I switch from the default 230400,  I get beachball, full cpu usage, and the vocoder isn't found. I've rebooted to ensure system is clean. I've checked logs, but see nothing from Buster.

73,

J.R., N7JRJ

Brendan O'Neill

I’m using ThumbDV with Buster on OSX 10.11.6 El Capitan and it’s working just fine and continues to have voice so long as in Preferences > Audio > Announce Reflector Status Change is checked. Working here as advertised for some time now…

73,
Brendan
KM4HRR

J.R. Jesson, N7JRJ

Craig-

Thanks!  I double checked and do not have the FTDI drivers installed.  I did boot into my Bootcamp partition and all is well with the ThumbDV in Windows.  I'd prefer to run MacosX, however.  Continuing to Troubleshoot.

73,

J.R., N7JRJ

Lyn

J.R.

I guess the only thing else I could suggest is making sure you are connecting to the correct port. I have a bunch of them connected on some Macs.

Regarding 10.12.4 beta, this is a first for me. I recently inherited this 2011 iMac and added it to my fleet. It was giving me fits by losing WIFI when asleep and then wouldn't reconnect. I tried some recommended fixes, but they only lasted a day or so.

I decided I didn’t have much to lose and possibly they could see what was happening as they monitored my Mac. Strange as it may seem, the problem is gone with 10.12.4 beta. It’s usually better to be lucky than good!

No issues at all so far with the beta.

73 and Have Fun!
Lyn

 On Mar 4, 2017, at 2:20 PM, N7JRJ@... wrote:

Lyn-

Thanks for the quick reply.  I'm running Sierra release 10.12.3 (notice you're running beta -- very brave).  Buster finds my serial port, but when I switch from the default 230400,  I get beachball, full cpu usage, and the vocoder isn't found. I've rebooted to ensure system is clean. I've checked logs, but see nothing from Buster.

<Screen Shot 2017_03_04 at 1.10.17 PM.png>

73,

J.R., N7JRJ