ThumbDV suddenly not recognized

Jack Spitznagel

Edited

John, David, and BlueDV/ThumbDV users,

An interesting thing has occurred here and I want to see if others are seeing it too.

A friend told me that his installation BlueDV stopped working after the most recent Windoze10 update, specifically that he was having trouble with the program not seeing the AMBE device he was using (I think a ThumbDV also). I have not used mine in a while, but I do keep my laptop updated. BlueDV is giving me the same issue now too. I am using the most recent version of BlueDV (1.0.0.9609

On starting BlueDV, normally the ThumbDV firmware is recognized and when the serial port is activated, it is “found” and the red activity light on the thumb unit starts up. Now, When I plug in the ThumbDV, I get the “recognition” sound, but BlueDV does not recognize the firmware signature and complains about it. Even though BlueDV is set for the correct comm port, when the serial slider is moved to “ON”, the program complains that it can’t find it either.

The FTDI drivers are up to date. Deleting them and reinstalling them does not change the problem.

All: Is anyone else seeing this? Has anyone seeing it found a solution to the issue?

John: I remember vaguely that there is a tool one can use to test the ThumbDV on the Win10 platform. Can you point me in that directions?

David: I hope you have a suggestion or two to help troubleshoot…

Thanks to everyone for thinking this through with me and for any suggestions.

Jack Spitznagel, DDS, PhD

KD4IZ

Science River LLC

Biomedical Consulting

Jack Spitznagel

Quick headsmack: I found the file ThumbTest.exe in the Files area.
the ThumbDV responds with:
C:\Users\Jack\Desktop>ThumbTest
Available Ports:
   COM12
Enter COM port value (Default: COM1): COM12
Baud Rate(default:9600): 460800
a ☺ 9
a ♂ 0AMBE3000R
a 1 1V120.E100.XXXX.C106.G514.R009.B0010411.C0020208

-which appears to be a normal response Is this correct John? If so, David will you please take a close look at this issue if you can duplicate it.

Thanks.

--
Jack - KD4IZ

 Jack,

Yes, that looks correct.

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 8:24 PM Jack Spitznagel <kd4iz@...> wrote:
Quick headsmack: I found the file ThumbTest.exe in the Files area.
the ThumbDV responds with:
C:\Users\Jack\Desktop>ThumbTest
Available Ports:
   COM12
Enter COM port value (Default: COM1): COM12
Baud Rate(default:9600): 460800
a ☺ 9
a ♂ 0AMBE3000R
a 1 1V120.E100.XXXX.C106.G514.R009.B0010411.C0020208

-which appears to be a normal response Is this correct John? If so, David will you please take a close look at this issue if you can duplicate it.

Thanks.

--
Jack - KD4IZ

K7VE / WRJT-215

HI Jack,

Please sent me a screenshot of your setup screen.

info@...

Greets and 73,

    David PA7LIM

[...]

David and John,

Here we go... self administered headsmack #2! First an sincere apology to both David and John!

 Lame excuse: It was late and I was lazy so screwed up my testing and "did not notice something very important" in the BlueDV setup: There are TWO places to enter a COM port number. One is for the radio settings, over on the left of the setup panel, the second is for the AMBE device (or AMBEserver) over on the right of the screen. I very careful entered the COM port into the Radio settings and did not see (or remember) the AMBE settings!  I wrote the other ham back to tell him the following:

"Progress: I tried BlueDV on my perpetually updated workstation this AM. I had to to do a new install BlueDV because it was no longer on the workstation. Installed the latest (1.0.0.9609), configured it, and it worked immediately.

 I went back and looked carefully at the laptop settings that I put in last night. I had not entered the correct COM port (12 in my setup) over in the AMBE block in the settings sheet. I now have COM12 entered on both the Radio and AMBE setting blocks. BlueDV immediately worked, saw the AMBE ThumbDV on the laptop and DStar connections were made to XRF757A, REF029A and REF062A. I had a nice QSO with a guy who was on DMR in Oregon on XRF757A (Lee W5LMM – I think).
My conclusion: It is NOT BlueDV or WINDOZE as much as you and (callsign deleted) might want a scapegoat to beat on. BlueDV is fine and works. What Windows does is to reassign plug and play ports during upgrades by renumbering them according to device priority (or something like that, maybe only if an update to a a driver is pushed?). They say they do this. There is a "permanent workaround":

Before doing any more troubleshooting with BlueDV, my suggestion to you comes in THREE parts:

1. Plug in your AMBE unit. Check in the device manager. Right click on <Start> symbol, select Device Manager, then open the  Ports (COM & LPT) group to see what COM port it is assigned to when it is plugged in. Make a note of it.

2. Reassign your AMBE device to a COM port number HIGHER  than 11 (or some much higher number). As you see, I did COM12. You do this by double clicking the port assignment line in the Ports (COM & LPT) group in the Device Manager. Going to the second tab (Port Settings) Click on the Advance button at the bottom of the tab page. On the next page that pops up, down at the bottom, there is a selector which allows you to reassign the COM port number. Select a number higher than the number of all the plug-n-play devices you use then click OK. USB headsets, modems, rigs, printers, RPi boxen, etc. I use 12 on my laptop because I never have had more than 2 or 3 devices plugged in.

3. Check to make sure the reassignment took by refreshing the device manager list.

Comment/Note: This reassignment moves your AMBE device COM port away from "the assign to next empty port number" thing that plug n" pray likes to do. If you have a lot of USB devices, you may need to move a bunch of them to higher COM port #'s.

 When you get back to working with BlueDV, check to see that BOTH the RADIO and AMBE COM port settings are set to exactly the same COM port number as your reassigned COM port.

Comment/Question [David, is the radio COM port entry necessary or is only the AMBE block entry needed??? I have never tried it without both, but putting in both does not seem to cause an issue.]

I have used this renumbering technique on my workstation with all 17 of my station USB devices (rigs, peripherals, etc) for 2 years and I have never had a problem with M$ updates since. I have mentioned this method of avoiding problems on the Raspberry Pi/SBC net and on K4DJL's Alabama After Net Tech Sessions several times. Guess no one paid attention. Do it!"

Obviously from the above, both my workstation copy and my laptop copy of the latest drop of BlueDV work just fine.
One has to make sure to put in a few other critical things in settings (like your personal but much needed  %^#$^% BM password. The correct port speed for your AMBE device and your DMR ID also.

Suggestion for David to consider for future versions of BlueDV - if possible make it easier to see the importance of putting in the Radio COM port and/or the AMBE port number - maybe an error check warning of some sort? That might prevent this sort of silliness from occurring as often and lowering the noise level you have to listen to.

John - thanks to your efforts (and those of the whole gang at NW Digital) with the ThumbDV, the DRAWS kit, and all the other great stuff you guys have done for digital radio.
David - Thanks for BlueDV, AMBEserver, Doozy, and all of the other projects you have given us. I will continue to donate to the cause as I have in the past. Good luck with the studies!

Jack - KD4IZ