Topics

ThumbDV wont work with BlueDV

W6JJ - Bruce

Hi,
I have an older ThumbDV and tried to set it up to work with the BlueDV software so many have said works.  Mine does not - even though it says DV3000U on the ThumbDV - so I am "GUESSING" that means it's using the Ambe 3000 chip?  I have no idea - but would guess YES.  Am I wrong?  Please advise -
Thanks
Bruce
7 3
W6JJ

Lee

Are you using a 2.0 port?

On 2/18/2021 06:25 PM, W6JJ - Bruce wrote:
Hi,
I have an older ThumbDV and tried to set it up to work with the BlueDV software so many have said works.  Mine does not - even though it says DV3000U on the ThumbDV - so I am "GUESSING" that means it's using the Ambe 3000 chip?  I have no idea - but would guess YES.  Am I wrong?  Please advise -
Thanks
Bruce
7 3
W6JJ

Does it appear as a COM port when you plug it in?

If it is very old, you may need to switch to 230400 baud. (Turn serial off, goto Menu -> Setup then under AMBE block).

There is a test exe in the files section of this forum to verify it works.

If you try to access it at the wrong baud rate, you may have to unplug and replug it and try again at the right baud rate depending on your computer's USB hardware.

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 4:30 PM W6JJ - Bruce <W6JJ@...> wrote:
Hi,
I have an older ThumbDV and tried to set it up to work with the BlueDV software so many have said works.  Mine does not - even though it says DV3000U on the ThumbDV - so I am "GUESSING" that means it's using the Ambe 3000 chip?  I have no idea - but would guess YES.  Am I wrong?  Please advise -
Thanks
Bruce
7 3
W6JJ

W6JJ - Bruce

no - a USB 3.0 port

On 2/18/2021 06:25 PM, W6JJ - Bruce wrote:
Hi,
I have an older ThumbDV and tried to set it up to work with the BlueDV software so many have said works.  Mine does not - even though it says DV3000U on the ThumbDV - so I am "GUESSING" that means it's using the Ambe 3000 chip?  I have no idea - but would guess YES.  Am I wrong?  Please advise -
Thanks
Bruce
7 3
W6JJ

W6JJ - Bruce

Yes - it appears as a com port - will look for the test.exe file . . . . and double check the baud rate . .. .
[...]

John,
Ok - downloaded the test.exe and ran it - plugged in the com port - then baud rate - then it ran and closed immediately . . . . was not able to see anything - so I am guessing its bad for that to happen.

[...]

I guess my question is not worth a reply. Device only works in a 2.0 port or earlier.

On 2/18/2021 08:09 PM, W6JJ - Bruce wrote:
[...]

I just tested on a USB 3.0 port here and works just fine.  Have not heard of any general issues with USB 3.0

Sometimes a particular computer has an issue, a powered USB hub sometimes helps.

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 5:15 PM Lee <lee@...> wrote:

[...]

Lucky you. He said it was older. Mine is also and it refuses to function on 3.0 ports.

On 2/18/2021 08:27 PM, John D Hays - K7VE wrote:
[...]

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

You should run the test program from a dos and prompt. There is input it requires and it outputs the results of the test to the console.

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021, 8:13 PM W6JJ - Bruce <W6JJ@...> wrote:
[...]

  W3DJS

W6JJ - Bruce

Dave,
Thanks - I did that with a Run As "ADMINISTRATOR" prompt - which finally gave results below for the first time - which seems to present an error - see below:

Thanks
Bruce
7 3
W6JJ

[...]

Dave, John, Lee,
THANK YOU ALL - Its now working with BlueDV - after numerous days of strugle - Thank you all - if you ever make it to San Diego - visit the USS Midway Museum Ham Shack - NI6IW to check the Special event schedule . . . . have a great weekend!!!!
Thanks
Bruce
7 3
W6JJ

[...]

Charles Wiant

You might need to change baud rate and retest

[...]

I should also note that all ThumbDVs use the same FTDI chip. The baud rate change was simply a strapping option on the AMBE3000 chip

73,
Bryan K7UDR
NW Digital Radio