trying to get my THumb-dvs to run on my pi?

Justin Mann

FOlks,
I’m trying to get my THumb-dvs to compile and run on my pi so that I can get them to work on my xlx reflector, xlx094. However, I’m getting some errors when I try to run the install script from n5amd. I’ve attached the output in a text file, can y’all take a look?

Thanks,
Justin

Justin Mann

HI there,
Just wanted to post an update, got the Ambe server working on the pi, but now I’m trying to figure out how to
use these two thumb dvs on my xlx reflector.

On Jul 3, 2021, at 1:28 AM, Justin Mann via groups.io <w9fyi=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

FOlks,
I’m trying to get my THumb-dvs to compile and run on my pi so that I can get them to work on my xlx reflector, xlx094. However, I’m getting some errors when I try to run the install script from n5amd. I’ve attached the output in a text file, can y’all take a look?

Thanks,
Justin

<Ambedcompilation-with-errors.rtfd>

Gwen Patton

First suggestion. Is your ThumbDV plugged directly into the Pi? The USB port on a Pi usually doesn't have enough current to run a ThumbDV. If it is, try a powered hub.

I run AMBEserver on my Pi, with a daemon to update the dynamic DNS it points to, with a powered hub for the ThumbDV, and it works great.

On Sat, Jul 3, 2021, 2:28 AM Justin Mann via groups.io <w9fyi=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
FOlks,
I’m trying to get my THumb-dvs to compile and run on my pi so that I can get them to work on my xlx reflector, xlx094.  However, I’m getting some errors when I try to run the install script from n5amd.  I’ve attached the output in a text file, can y’all take a look?

Thanks,
Justin

The ThumbDV requires less than 200mA. I power mine on a Pi powered by DRAWS with no issues.

73,
Bryan K7UDR
NW Digital Radio

On Jul 3, 2021, at 8:52 AM, Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:

First suggestion. Is your ThumbDV plugged directly into the Pi? The USB port on a Pi usually doesn't have enough current to run a ThumbDV. If it is, try a powered hub.

I run AMBEserver on my Pi, with a daemon to update the dynamic DNS it points to, with a powered hub for the ThumbDV, and it works great.

On Sat, Jul 3, 2021, 2:28 AM Justin Mann via groups.io <w9fyi=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
FOlks,
I’m trying to get my THumb-dvs to compile and run on my pi so that I can get them to work on my xlx reflector, xlx094.  However, I’m getting some errors when I try to run the install script from n5amd.  I’ve attached the output in a text file, can y’all take a look?

Thanks,
Justin

Justin Mann

Hi there,
DO you have instdructions on getting that setup on the pi?  I already have a hostname: ambeserver.ddns.org.
Thanks so much,
Justin-1i5os

On Jul 3, 2021, at 10:52 AM, Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:

First suggestion. Is your ThumbDV plugged directly into the Pi? The USB port on a Pi usually doesn't have enough current to run a ThumbDV. If it is, try a powered hub.

I run AMBEserver on my Pi, with a daemon to update the dynamic DNS it points to, with a powered hub for the ThumbDV, and it works great.

On Sat, Jul 3, 2021, 2:28 AM Justin Mann via groups.io <w9fyi=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
FOlks,
I’m trying to get my THumb-dvs to compile and run on my pi so that I can get them to work on my xlx reflector, xlx094.  However, I’m getting some errors when I try to run the install script from n5amd.  I’ve attached the output in a text file, can y’all take a look?

Thanks,
Justin

Let's be clear, ambed (which is used by lxld reflectors for transcoding) and AMBEserver are two different programs entirely.

At one time ambed folks advised against the Pi, you will need to check them on current platform support.

Justin Mann

OK then… where is the best place to get support for Ambed?

Put in an issue at https://github.com/LX3JL/xlxd/issues

OK then… where is the best place to get support for Ambed?

On Jul 3, 2021, at 1:49 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

Let's be clear, ambed (which is used by lxld reflectors for transcoding) and AMBEserver are two different programs entirely.

At one time ambed folks advised against the Pi, you will need to check them on current platform support.

K7VE / WRJT-215

Gwen Patton

Bryan  K7UDR  clearly has the superior setup, and is with NW Digital, so I'm going to let him field this one.

My Pi would go into a boot loop with the ThumbDV in its USB port directly, but boots fine with it in a powered hub. Go figure. Maybe not all Pi's have the same power available. Mine's a Pi 3.

I think Bryan probably has better information to give you.

On Sat, Jul 3, 2021 at 2:00 PM Justin Mann via groups.io <w9fyi=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Patrick Perdue

I had problems powering more than one ThumbDV from a PI 3 (not 3 b plus) without a powered hub. This after including max_usb_current in /boot/config.txt, which I believe is no longer relevant with newer boards.

I could use one at a time, but the first wouldn't be recognized anymore when I installed the second. A powered hub fixed this problem. I'm currently using those dongles on an old Mac Mini, which is now running Debian. It works fine on that host without a hub. My XLX reflector is connecting to AMBE remotely. My system gets very little D-Star traffic compared to other modes (mostly Allstar and EchoLink these days, with occasional DMR or YSF), so the transcoders don't have much to do lately. It seems to work fine when it's needed, though.