Trying to talk to DVSI's USB-3000 dongle with a raspberry pi!

tjwark@...

HI!

Apologies if this has been asked, before, i'm new to this, new to pi, and new to the this group! I actually have the DVSI version of the AMBE dongle, and was pointed to this group aftere find thing the ThumbDV package. I was able to get the software installed on my pi, but the server won't boot, presumably because it doesn't recognize my device! I was wondering if anyone can give me some help with making this work.

Thanks!

Which software?

On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 1:02 PM <tjwark@...> wrote:
HI!

Apologies if this has been asked, before, i'm new to this, new to pi, and new to the this group! I actually have the DVSI version of the AMBE dongle, and was pointed to this group aftere find thing the ThumbDV package. I was able to get the software installed on my pi, but the server won't boot, presumably because it doesn't recognize my device! I was wondering if anyone can give me some help with making this work.

Thanks!

K7VE / WRJT-215

tjwark@...

hi john, i'm sorry, maybe i don't understand your question? what software?
so I had downloaded the source from
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/ambeserver-install - it looks like you're the managing the git?

from what i can tell it definitely looks like that the usb-3000 is being detected at USB0, after following the 'simple install' procedure, i took a guess and attempted the restart procedure listed in the instructions a little further down but substituted the device name as 'ambeserver@ttyUSB0", and it *seems* like it's opened a servial port at 230400 bps - but i don't know if that's correct, as the dvsi device says it's running at the faster 460kps speed.

i'm sorry this is all new to me on the pi, i'm more of a windows programmer! i'm working on a sort of a custom project, i'm trying to use something to talk to the usb3k device to send/receive audio data, and i'm writing something myself, or will be, assuming i can talk to it with the test app that came with the software in github download.

thanks!

OK -- there is more than one software that works with AMBE-3000 devices like the ThumbDV™

Look at https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/ambeserver-install/blob/master/etc/opendv/ambeserver-ttyUSB0.conf -- this file should be on your system after the install at /etc/opendv/ambeserver-ttyUSB0.conf  --- modify it with the -s flag as documented.

On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 1:29 PM <tjwark@...> wrote:
[...]

ah so i *am* on the right path it seems, i did see the -s flag, got side tracked, forgot about it. thanks for that!

ok last (maybe dumb) question  - assuming i want to continue starting with the ambeserver-ttyusb.conf file, how can i get it to default to that file? it seems like when i reboot my pi3 it tries to default to the thumbdv.conf file and then fails. i can restart it with the usb with the manual systemctl commands, but is there a way to get it to default to this, or would that just be a matter of making a code change and recompiling?

thanks again. this is all new to me.

 Modified from the README.md file
sudo systemctl disable ambeserver@ThumbDV
sudo systemctl stop ambeserver@ThumbDV
sudo systemctl enable ambeserver@ttyUSB0
sudo systemctl start ambeserver@ttyUSB0
sudo systemctl status ambeserver@ttyUSB0

On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 1:44 PM <tjwark@...> wrote:
ah so i *am* on the right path it seems, i did see the -s flag, got side tracked, forgot about it. thanks for that!

ok last (maybe dumb) question  - assuming i want to continue starting with the ambeserver-ttyusb.conf file, how can i get it to default to that file? it seems like when i reboot my pi3 it tries to default to the thumbdv.conf file and then fails. i can restart it with the usb with the manual systemctl commands, but is there a way to get it to default to this, or would that just be a matter of making a code change and recompiling?

thanks again. this is all new to me.

K7VE / WRJT-215

tjwark@...

yep. i figured that much out, thanks!

for me the main issue is to start by default using ttyUSB0

thanks