Topics

Yeah.. BlueDV with ThumbDV directly connected to my Android phone.

Hi all,

Good news. I managed to connect my ThumbDV directly to my Android device so no AMBEServer needed anymore. The sound is amazing!

https://youtu.be/FMtZkeXP4yg

The downside is that the ThumbDV drains your battery. After 45 minutes the battery is low and can't give enough power to the ThumbDV.
This version is NOT available yet! First I want to find an OTG cable that powers the phone and the ThumbDV. ( will make new thread with my used OTG cables that did not work )

Greets,
    David PA7LIM

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 11:28 AM, David PA7LIM <info@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Good news. I managed to connect my ThumbDV directly to my Android device so no AMBEServer needed anymore. The sound is amazing!

https://youtu.be/FMtZkeXP4yg

The downside is that the ThumbDV drains your battery. After 45 minutes the battery is low and can't give enough power to the ThumbDV.
This version is NOT available yet! First I want to find an OTG cable that powers the phone and the ThumbDV. ( will make new thread with my used OTG cables that did not work )

Greets,

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Hi John,

Thanks for the link. I also have that cable but it is not charging my phone.

Greets and 73,

David PA7LIM

Op 04/12/2017 om 20:49 schreef John D Hays - K7VE:

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 11:28 AM, David PA7LIM <info@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Good news. I managed to connect my ThumbDV directly to my Android device so no AMBEServer needed anymore. The sound is amazing!

https://youtu.be/FMtZkeXP4yg

The downside is that the ThumbDV drains your battery. After 45 minutes the battery is low and can't give enough power to the ThumbDV.
This version is NOT available yet! First I want to find an OTG cable that powers the phone and the ThumbDV. ( will make new thread with my used OTG cables that did not work )

Greets,

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

David Smith

John,

This is the one that will work? Looks like it
should. If this all works I will be able to go
mobile with it.

David Smith - KA5DJS

Monday, December 4, 2017 1:49 PM

Edmonds, WA

David Smith

never mind on the question I see you will post the new version after
suitable found,

David - KA5DJS

Monday, December 4, 2017 1:28 PM
Hi all,

Good news. I managed to connect my ThumbDV directly to my Android device so no AMBEServer needed anymore. The sound is amazing!

https://youtu.be/FMtZkeXP4yg

The downside is that the ThumbDV drains your battery. After 45 minutes the battery is low and can't give enough power to the ThumbDV.
This version is NOT available yet! First I want to find an OTG cable that powers the phone and the ThumbDV. ( will make new thread with my used OTG cables that did not work )

Greets,

Jeremiah Toth (Jay)

David,

I do hope you will still have the AMBE server available and keep working on it as needed?  It is very nice to use it.  I can leave it running, and connect to it with BlueDV windows software when using computer, and then disconnect and use android BlueDV-AMBE to connect to the AMBE stick, without having to move or unplug the stick.

Regardless, thank you for your work, your work is a massive, massive contribution to the world of DMR and DSTAR!

KG4VGC

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 3:27 PM, David Smith <KA5DJS@...> wrote:
never mind on the question I see you will post the new version after
suitable found,

David - KA5DJS

Monday, December 4, 2017 1:28 PM
Hi all,

Good news. I managed to connect my ThumbDV directly to my Android device so no AMBEServer needed anymore. The sound is amazing!

https://youtu.be/FMtZkeXP4yg

The downside is that the ThumbDV drains your battery. After 45 minutes the battery is low and can't give enough power to the ThumbDV.
This version is NOT available yet! First I want to find an OTG cable that powers the phone and the ThumbDV. ( will make new thread with my used OTG cables that did not work )

Greets,

Hi Jeremiah,

You are welcome! Very nice to hear!

The AMBEServer will be available. I am going to make a switch in the setup so you can switch between OTG and the AMBEServer.

Greets and 73,

David PA7LIM

Op 04/12/2017 om 21:41 schreef Jeremiah Toth (Jay):

[...]

ve2vag@...

Hello David,

A while back, I bought a 4 USB ports OTG / charger that I use with an Asus Windows tablet, like this one:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/4-Port-Micro-USB-2-0-OTG-Charger-HUB-Data-Cable-For-Tablet-Smart-Phone-FU-/292348943103?hash=item44115adaff
It has a 3 position switch on it that makes compatible with a majority of smartphones and tablets.

I have a Moto G5 Android phone that has also the same USB connector than my tablet.
BlueDV AMBE is already loaded on my phone and working great.
I could try to test this new version with my OTG charger on my phone and ThumbDV, to check if it would charge the phone and give power to the dongle at the same time,if you would want.

73s from Guy VE2VAG in Quebec Canada

David Smith

Yes test and let us all know....KA5DJS

On Dec 5, 2017 4:46 AM, ve2vag@... wrote:
Hello David,

A while back, I bought a 4 USB ports OTG / charger that I use with an Asus Windows tablet, like this one:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/4-Port-Micro-USB-2-0-OTG-Charger-HUB-Data-Cable-For-Tablet-Smart-Phone-FU-/292348943103?hash=item44115adaff
It has a 3 position switch on it that makes compatible with a majority of smartphones and tablets.

I have a Moto G5 Android phone that has also the same USB connector than my tablet.
BlueDV AMBE is already loaded on my phone and working great.
I could try to test this new version with my OTG charger on my phone and ThumbDV, to check if it would charge the phone and give power to the dongle at the same time,if you would want.

73s from Guy VE2VAG in Quebec Canada

ve2vag@...

If David wants to send me the apk file to let me test it, I'll gladly test my OTG /charger unit I have.

Hello Guy,

Nice device!

So when you connect this OTG HUB to your phone or tablet and power it with a 5V power supply the phone or tablet will charge?

Greets and 73,

David PA7LIM

Op 05/12/2017 om 11:46 schreef ve2vag@...:

Hello David,

A while back, I bought a 4 USB ports OTG / charger that I use with an Asus Windows tablet, like this one:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/4-Port-Micro-USB-2-0-OTG-Charger-HUB-Data-Cable-For-Tablet-Smart-Phone-FU-/292348943103?hash=item44115adaff
It has a 3 position switch on it that makes compatible with a majority of smartphones and tablets.

I have a Moto G5 Android phone that has also the same USB connector than my tablet.
BlueDV AMBE is already loaded on my phone and working great.
I could try to test this new version with my OTG charger on my phone and ThumbDV, to check if it would charge the phone and give power to the dongle at the same time,if you would want.

73s from Guy VE2VAG in Quebec Canada

Hi Guy,

I saw in the description that it can also charge the phone. I ordered one and hopefully it will arrive soon.
Now the challenge to write a switch between AMBEServer and OTG.

[...]

Oh I thought you already had the file and the hardware...
Sorry about that.

KA5DJS

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 11:39 AM
If David wants to send me the apk file to let me test it, I'll gladly test my OTG /charger unit I have.

ve2vag@...

Hello David and group,

I've just tested my OTG / charger unit on my Moto G5 Android phone, which has the same USB plug than my Asus Windows tablet (I believe they are called micro USB port).

When I plugged it, the phone's charging icon lit up, so it was charging.
I've plugged USB pen drive on one of the 4 USB ports, and the phone recognized it as storage, I was able to browse the files on the pen drive from the phone, and the charging icon was still lit during that time, so it seems that it should work as expected.

The only possible problem I see is that the ThumbDV might draw more current than the USB pen drive; but I guess that if the OTG / charger unit is plugged on a good high current 5 volts USB transformer, it would be good enough to give enough current to drive the ThumbDV and to charge the phone.
Anyhow, it worked in my case, the Moto G5 was charging and I was able to browsw a USB pen drive at the same time.

BTW, the 3 position switch on the OTG / charger it to make it compatible with a majority of devices.  In my case, I've left the switch on position 2, which is the same than my Asus Windows tablet.

If you want me to test your APK with it, my offer still stands.  I could do the test and video record it so that you can see what I did and the results. Just say so if you want me to.

73s from Guy VE2VAG in Quebec Canada

ThumbDV draws ~100mA at idle and peaks around 150-200mA while VOCODING

Bryan K7UDR