Mount the PiDV™
The PiDV has 26 GPIO pins, the Raspberry Pi 3 has 40 GPIO pins. Looking at the Raspberry Pi with the USB connectors to the left and the GPIO pins along the bottom, mount the PiDV with pin 1 to pin 1, this will be all the way to the right.
- Obtain a high quality microSD card. A Class-10 card of 8GB or more is recommended.
- Download a Compass Linux image from archive.compasslinux.org
- The 'lite' version is without a GUI and will require hand editing of configuration files. The full version has a GUI desktop.
- Unzip and copy the uncompressed image to the SD card using the procedure outlined on the Raspberry Pi site.
- Place the microSD card in the Raspberry Pi.
- Attach a monitor and keyboard/mouse to the Raspberry Pi
- Attach Ethernet via the RJ-45 jack to your network.
- Apply power via the microUSB port next to the HDMI port
- Allow the Raspberry Pi to boot up
- Login (User: pi, Password: raspberry)
- Perform any Linux configuration specific to your installation, e.g. assign specific network addresses, install favorite tools, etc. (This is beyond the scope of NW Digital Radio support, please use Linux support resources for assistance.)
Note: DO NOT RUN raspi-update - it will break your install
- You may wish to edit the /etc/hosts file and add a reference to the hostname, for example if you keep the default 'compass' hostname, add a line
If you want to change the computer hostname use the command:
sudo raspi-configThen select "Advanced Options" -> "Hostname" and follow the instructions. It will update the hostname for your Raspberry Pi and will make the change in /etc/hosts
- To gracefully shutdown the Raspberry Pi, you may use the command:
For the AMBEserver:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade sudo apt-get install ambeserver sudo systemctl enable ambeserver@ttyAMA0.service
Edit (sudo nano or sudo vi) the file /boot/cmdline.txt and copy the first line and delete 'console=serial0,115200' in a new line. Comment out the original line.
#dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait
NW Digital Radio is in the process of setting up various community groups at Groups.io Please create a personal account at Groups.io Join the main NW Digital group by sending an email from your registered email account to firstname.lastname@example.org and then send an email to email@example.com Please use the group for questions and to share your experiences, so that all ThumbDV™, PiDV™, AMBEserver users can benefit from the replies.