Re: Codec2

"Tony Langdon, VK3JED" <vk3jed@...>

At 03:14 AM 5/24/2012, Curt, WE7U wrote:
Witness, in order of decreasing quality, conversations from:

*) Analog phone -> analog phone
*) Analog phone -> cell-phone
*) cell-phone -> cell-phone, same technology
*) cell-phone -> cell-phone, different technology

I've had extremely poor conversations with the last mode, with a friend using a different kind of cell-phone technology than my phone.

It's _exactly_ what's being discussed here, conversions from once
codec to another. The more conversions in the line, the poorer the quality. Real-world examples that most of us experience on at least a weekly basis.
Which is a good reason to be clever about how we do things. :) I'm a believer in fiddling with the signal as little as possible, for this very reason.

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com