Pi - Can't Find AMBE Dongle On The Port Specified

dan@...

I'm struggling to get my DV3000 board going in my Pi.  I followed the instructions found in http://www.amateurlogic.com/downloads/DV3000.pdf.  After a couple of failed starts I believe I've followed the instructions to the letter.

I'm trying to use the model of running Dummy Repeater on my Win 8.1 laptop and have it connect to the Pi.  But, when I try I get "Can't Find the AMBE Dongle on the port specified".

I shut down the firewall on the laptop, and don't have a firewall on the Pi.   I'm certain I'm using the correct IP address.

As a test I installed ircddbgateway and dummy repeater on the PI and brought it up there (with an external sound card installed).   I wasn't able to connect with serial, but I was able to bring it up and use it momentarily connecting via the network (to 127.0.0.1).

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?