Re: Cross linking (Was: Codec2)

"David Lake (dlake)" <dlake@...>

The entire “MY” call is unenforceable. It is sent in clear text, is programmed by the user and therefore is suspicious.

By default, my code does not check D-Star MY calls for one simple reason – it could land me in gaol.

In most of the EU, it would be illegal for me acting as a citizen to deny another citizen access to systems designed for the whole community based on my perception of their licensed status. If it turned out that the other party WAS licensed and I had denied them access, then I would have committed a very serious offence in both anti-discrimination and Human Rights terms. That is a custodial sentence.

The only people with the power to investigate illegal transmissions are the police (or Ofcom working with the police) and the public is advised to stay out of police business. As any form of closed system is also not allowed, that means that irrespective of what someone TELLS me either verbally or by electronic ID, I cannot afford to block them for fear of acting illegally. If they break the rules of their licence, it is not for me to say other than reporting my suspicions to the authorities.

So, callsign ID on D-Star is pretty meaningless !

David